Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Party Planning at Obsidian

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<a href="http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/column_hit_selfdestruct_life_o.php" target="blank">GameSetWatch</a> took a look at <b><a href="http://www.obsidian.net/" target="blank">Obsidian's</a></b> approaches to the party problem in RPGs.
<br>
<blockquote>Alpha Protocol has one controllable character and no permanent party members. Maybe it's a deliberate change of pace for Obsidian, or maybe it's the best solution of all. Alpha Protocol will certainly be free from deadbeats and hangers-on who admonish you for acts of kindness but will still do whatever you say. The best way to deal with those plausibility issues is not to invite them into the design in the first place. It'll work, but because it's the safe option.
<br>
<br>
If it marks the beginning of a new approach for Obsidian, then I'll miss the subversion and the experimentation. Developers can craft a character with a wealth of personal history, trust issues and the potential for an ice-thawing courtship, and they can have them try to kill me for not buying them shoes. I like the second option more.</blockquote>
<br>
On a barely related note, Obsidian is hosting <a href="http://www.obsidian.net/poll/poll-combatsystem-20090219.html" target="blank">a poll</a> on preferred RPG combat systems. Third person real-time currently has a 7% lead over isometric turn-based. Head to the bar on the right side of the <a href="http://www.obsidian.net/" target="blank">main page</a> to vote.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Protocol will certainly be free from deadbeats and hangers-on who admonish you for acts of kindness but will still do whatever you say."

LMAO What a tool.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I feel slightly retarded because I have to ask but how in God's name do you vote on this poll? I dusted off my ancient account on Obsidian but this did not really improve my ability to vote. So, what kind of voodoo is required?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually agree with Volourn for once. I feel fucking horrible.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Stupid poll, where's the option for third-person turn based combat?

Silellak

Cipher
Spectacle said:

Also, I know many here hate it, but I still vastly prefer RTwP to pure Real Time, but there's not a single RTwP option in the poll. Sad.

Or even better, RTwP with triggers for certain important events. NWN1 and NWN2's combat system both would've been vastly improved by this addition, I think. Well, NWN2 at least. NWN1's lack of any real party system would make this addition somewhat pointless.

Lurkar

Scholar
When Bioware does it (and it does it a thousand times worse), it's "deep."

When Bethesda does it in Fallout 3, it's "immersive."

When anyone else does it...

Thrasher

Erudite
Silellak said:
Spectacle said:

Also, I know many here hate it, but I still vastly prefer RTwP to pure Real Time, but there's not a single RTwP option in the poll. Sad.

Or even better, RTwP with triggers for certain important events. NWN1 and NWN2's combat system both would've been vastly improved by this addition, I think. Well, NWN2 at least. NWN1's lack of any real party system would make this addition somewhat pointless.

Yeah, it's a crappy poll.

Jason

chasing a bee
I feel slightly retarded because I have to ask but how in God's name do you vote on this poll?
Sorry about that. Edited the newspost.

Current results are iso turn-based in the lead with 49.4%. They've got the guns but we've got the numbers etc.

Lurkar said:
When Bioware does it (and it does it a thousand times worse), it's "deep."

When Bethesda does it in Fallout 3, it's "immersive."

When anyone else does it...

I understand why it would be disappointing to remove a party from AP considering how, as you said, that Obsidian does party NPCs a thousand times better than Bioware, and a lot better than many other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom