Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fan Made Fallout Puts Out An Alpha.

Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 2

If you really crave proof that Fan Made Fallout is almost a reality, you can head on over to their <a href="http://www.fanmadefallout.com/">website</a> and read about the release of a limited Alpha build, or even <a href="http://www.fanmadefallout.com/project/builds/Demo/Beta_Test_Builds/PreBeta_001/PreBetaScripts_001.zip">download</a> it yourself.
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Welcome to the first release of the Fan Made Fallout demo. This release is currently in Alpha form. We're calling it version 0.1. Here's some important information you need to know, then we'll post the message from our script lead on how to check things out.
<br>

<br>
1 - It's going to be rough
<br>
2 - Our dedicated, two man scripting team is working very hard to learn the skills they need to get you a demo that ... well, works. They appreciate your feedback and assistance.
<br>
3 - We're going to be constantly updating this demo version as we go. If you have comments you'd like to make, please respond to THIS posting. Likewise we will update information here with update releases so you can patch mistakes we've fixed.
<br>
4 - Thanks for coming on the ride with us .. hope you like where this goes ....
<br>
5 - Oh, and thank you to everyone over the past 7 years that have gotten us to where we are on this journey (including HVAttack8, who is our other scripter</blockquote>
<br>
Here's hoping for the full release within a decade.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Hory

Erudite
7 years for an Alpha demo? How hard is it to script a game for which you already have an engine, graphics and sound?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Grimoire, TSLRP, Duke Nukem Forever and FMF. All stuff that once sounded awesome before that nagging realisation came that you'll never ever see any of them and that even if you somehow will, that they'll never live up to all the expactations you have.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Hory said:
7 years for an Alpha demo? How hard is it to script a game for which you already have an engine, graphics and sound?

That's not hard. Just let some nerds work on an overambitious concept with no idea how to achieve it.

sheek

Arbiter
Hory said:
This is the only thing you morons can think to say?

They just released a damn playable demo.

You guys are supposed to be RPG fans and 90% of you claim to be the BIGGEST EVAR Fallout fans. You've spent weeks of your lives bitching about Fallout 3, so it would be quite odd if you weren't.

Yet there is a free demo sitting right there waiting for you to download... the first real expansion of the game you pretend was the BEST RPG liek EVAR. But all you can do is complain that it took too long.

What a bunch of phoney assholes.

Well keep bitching. Me, I'm downloading it and will give my feedback on the FMF forums.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
You guys are suck faggots. DAC started the whole covering the demo release and then NMA stole it from us without citing where they got it.

Hory

Erudite
sheek said:
Well keep bitching. Me, I'm downloading it and will give my feedback on the FMF forums.
bla bla bla I hope you're under forty because otherwise I doubt you'll live long enough to see that feedback implemented.

sheek

Arbiter
I'm first going to see what it's like before judging the mod.

You know, like a normal person.

You pretend to like Fallout but obviously can't even be bothered to download the free demo (which is only 4 MB btw). Since you haven't bothered trying it you can safely assume that it's going to have lots of bugs, so it will be unplayable, so many it won't be worth improving on, so it will never be good, so you were right never to download it.

Hory

Erudite
Wow, you are so perceptive. And wrong. I do none of those things because I don't even play demos. Particularly in the case of FMF, even if the demo is great, it will just leave me wanting something which doesn't even exist yet, probably won't for a very long time, if ever. As a player, such a demo provides little enjoyment.

kris

Arcane
Hory said:

depends on the scope and what you get from it...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hory said:
Given the number of issues we've had with hard-coded stuff and trying to work around it, harder than we initially thought (simple things like using maps with names other than the originals causes issues and even having work arounds for exit grids because they don't appear to work as advertised). For a long time we used a pre-loading program which changed variables in memory on the fly but which didn't work on all versions of Fallout. Though it's mainly the lack of scripters for a long while that really fucked us over.

FIFE was looking really good.

sheek

Arbiter
The map is completely empty for me. Not sure what the purpose of the release was.

sheek said:
The map is completely empty for me. Not sure what the purpose of the release was.
This bare and unadorned post carries with it such a weight of disillusionment, the heart must break.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
sheek said:
Not sure what the purpose of the release was.
After 7 years of sweet fuck all to show for it, it was either release something and build on it or give up. I voted give up but I was over-ruled. God-damned Democracy. The attitude at this stage has been to cobble a "demo" together, get it out there and see what happens. Either we couldn't do it and we'd finally admit defeat or we'd all be inspired by the result and push that one last time. Also, we've embarrisingly been saying "DEMO TODAY" far too often.

Ahh... The joys of fan-based mod projects.

sheek

Arbiter
How much material is actually in Fallout files? I thought descriptions, texts and quests would be in but that the problem was making them accessible in-game. Looking at the files in the release there are only 50-odd dialog texts and 17 game description files. I also thought you had recorded dialog already.

EDIT:

Actually the Alpha is not empty. Make sure you rename the default DATA folder, so the game only uses that. I thought that simply overwriting the old files would come to the same thing.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
mondblut said:
HanoverF said:
Grimoire never sounded awesome.

In 1997 it did.
Do keep in mind that the 1997 Grimoire beta is as good as it may get.

Because the former Sir-Tech guy, who made it, now has narrativist inclinations, and not the functional/technical mind that you would need for a RPG proper.

That's mostly because the man is programmer, and not a game designer. His perspective is that of the person who codes the game, not the one who sees the big picture, and works on the mechanics.

And what happens when a man starts praising Half-Life, BioShock, and Fallout 3 as exceptional examples of game design, not for actual gameplay mechanics, but the theme of the game?

If anything, he is not suitable for making a mathematical squad-based wargame, like Wizardry. He has started to see the game as interactive story book, and his mind is no longer on game design.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
This demo is really bad and pathetic. I was expecting the team to have been working on a really complete demo to show all the good stuff they had been working on but instead it looks like something someone banged out in a few weeks or less.

Seriously, this should have been considered some type of van bauren release where you just release all the documents or some shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
What exactly is *in* the demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom