Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 Game of the Year. Again

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

The entity responsible <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/f/pc-gamers-games-of-the-year/a-2009021215561183073/g-2006032219817514003">this time is PC Gamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Game of the year: Fallout 3
<br>
Developer: Bethesda
<br>
Publisher: Bethesda
<br>
Reviewed: 91%, HOLIDAY ’08
<br>
[...]
<br>
In an effort to give them huge egos, we asked Bethesda’s Lead Producer Todd Howard and Lead Designer Emil Pagliarulo what they hope that other game developers learn from the success of Fallout 3.
<br>
<br>
“Great ideas never die. It didn’t matter that Fallout was a series that was silent for 10 years. The world and core mechanics of Fallout 1 are so inherently awesome that they deserved to be done again, but in a new way. So much of reinventing something again is the presentation. Read old game reviews and see how the audience responded at the time, and find a way to make that happen again. Don’t let anyone tell you ‘People no longer like that.’ What I wouldn’t give to see X-Wing or Wing Commander reborn again. Hmmmm.” - Todd Howard.
<br>
[...]
<br>
More than any other role-playing game this year, Fallout 3 truly embraces its genre thanks to its robust character creation system. And because you stop earning XP and perks at level 20, no one character can be a jack of all trades, encouraging you to create a wide variety of distinct character types and give them unique experiences.</blockquote>
<br>
Don't let people tell you they no longer like that but it did deserve to be done again "but in a new way". Critical error. Logic failure.
<br>
<br>
Best strategy went to Sins of a Solar Empire.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

racofer

Thread Incliner
The world and core mechanics of Fallout 1 are so inherently awesome that they deserved to be done again

What the shit.
What I wouldn’t give to see X-Wing or Wing Commander reborn again. Hmmmm.
1195970568513ij6.jpg

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Todd said:
The world and core mechanics of Fallout 1 are so inherently awesome that they deserved to be done again, but in a new way.
Core mechanics? Like possibility of use every skill on every creature/item, turn-based combat, isometric perspective, traveling via world map with random encounters etc?

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I'm just not sure why it would be a bad idea to remake old actiongames with a huge budget.
Maybe it's fine to play it with highend graphics and Captain Picarde instead of not playing it at all.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
And because you stop earning XP and perks at level 20, no one character can be a jack of all trades, encouraging you to create a wide variety of distinct character types and give them unique experiences.

Wow. That's some serious C&C there.

Bethsoft is on a roll kids. Expect to see them raping your Grandmother's corpse while smoking cigars, then releasing the video footage for the GoTY win next year.

MetalCraze

Arcane
a wide variety of distinct character types and give them unique experiences.
You mean like the same ubermensch character that has different set of useless skills that don't affect anything and has the unique experience of shooting the same things again and again?

What I wouldn’t give to see X-Wing or Wing Commander reborn again. Hmmmm.
Well Bethesda were making flight sims when they were young and didn't understand that there is only one real genre in gaming - shooter.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
racofer said:
It seems you skipped the "Hmmmm".
Frankly I'd rather Bethesda focus their attention on an action game, like they've been subconsciously doing all along, and stop molesting my favorite RPG franchises.
An X-Wing remake and Todd "PEW PEW" Howard might be a combo that turns out better.

Worm King

Scholar
You stop at level 20 because the game is imbalanced due to hordes of enemies. In FO 1/2 you could kill anyone you want and still won't reach the level cap(if there is one, I never remember).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In Fallout 1, I believe the level cap was 21, and it was pretty fucking hard to reach. In Fallout 2, it was 99 or something ridiculous, but combat got pretty fucking unbalanced around level 20. You'd hit around level 30 if you did pretty much everything in Fallout 2, the only feasible way to hit the cap was with the hint book.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Worm King said:
You stop at level 20 because the game is imbalanced due to hordes of enemies. In FO 1/2 you could kill anyone you want and still won't reach the level cap(if there is one, I never remember).

Not exactly. The level cap is 21 in Fallout 1, and you can reach it. Either roughly by travelling the super mutant region of the map, or easily by the trick where you respawn the deathclaws in LA Boneyard. In a normal playthrough it's not doable.

The Fallout 2 level cap is 99. I don't know if it's ever been reached without cheating.

Bishop said:
I'm just not sure why it would be a bad idea to remake old actiongames with a huge budget.
Maybe it's fine to play it with highend graphics and Captain Picarde instead of not playing it at all.

Yes, give in to the dark side! You know the kiddies are wrong, but heck, IT'S SO MUCH EASIER.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Xor said:
the only feasible way to hit the cap was with the hint book.

Ronk. The hint book gave you 300 for all skills. You could hit the level cap with the xp giving computer in Vault City.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ultima Underworld by Bethesda could actually be very good as long as they stay away from level scaling (which killed TES franchise in obby ) and do implement meaningful choices and dialogue. AND engaging npc's all of whome are well thought out and are linked to other npc's trhough out he world.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:
Ultima Underworld by Bethesda could actually be very good as long as they stay away from level scaling (which killed TES franchise in obby ) and do implement meaningful choices and dialogue. AND engaging npc's all of whome are well thought out and are linked to other npc's trhough out he world.

You mean Ultima Underworld by Bethesda could actually be very good as long as it weren't Bethesda?

Risine

Liturgist
You mean Ultima Underworld by Bethesda could actually be very good as long as it weren't Bethesda?
Please, don't give them such an idea, they probably come here to read comments from time to time !!!

Luzur

Good Sir
then the new Bethesda should have accounts here for all their employees.

Todd could be a moderator.

dragonfk

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
What I wouldn’t give to see X-Wing or Wing Commander reborn again. Hmmmm.” - Todd Howard.

I say Yes and No. Yes for X-Wing and Wing Commander chance of reborning and No to Bethesda involvement in this. Leave my simulators just the way they were, there is no reason to medeling with the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom