Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware hanchos on 2003

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

There's an <A href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=99695">interview</a> with <b>Dr. Ray Muzyka</b> and <b>Dr. Greg Zeschuk</b> of <A href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> about the games of 2003. Here's a taste of the fun:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Has 2003 been a good year for videogames, in your opinion? What have been some of your own personal highlights of the year? And what titles have you/seen played in recent times that you would say have pushed the boundaries of videogames?
<br>
<br>
Dr. Ray Muzyka:</b> [STUFF DELETED]
<br>
<br>
I'd also hope that fans see that some of BioWare's recent RPG titles are pushing the envelope - for example, Neverwinter Nights was unprecedented in its ability to allow modding and fan-created content (with over 3000 free fan-created mods now available for download and more mods than ever being released following on the release of the Hordes of the Underdark expansion this Christmas it's arguably the most-modded game in existence).
<br>
<br>
And Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was probably one of the most cinematic/immersive role-playing experiences on console and PC in recent times, what with the full voice over and lip-synching on all characters, and the ability to meaningfully role-play as either a good or evil Jedi and have your choices impact the storyline.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Two things: <i>Most modded game in existance</i> - Yeah, wake me when there's a total conversion of <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a>. <i>Meaningfully role-play an evil Jedi</i> - Not exactly true, is it? I don't think Darth Vader would have allowed someone to mock him publically and walk away, something that happens several times in <A href="Http://www.swkotor.com">Knights of the Old Republic</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
King of the role-playing genre BioWare is more often associated with the PC platform, the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights being two of its big hitters on the beige box.

-1000 points right there for the interviewer

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was probably one of the most cinematic/immersive role-playing experiences on console and PC in recent times

Cinematic and immersive are synonyms now? -1000 points. KotOR most immersive RPG in recent times? -1000 points.

Now please excuse me while I go throw up.

Jed

Cipher
Nothing spells IMMERSHUN! like unavoidable in-game tutorials where NPCs talk about which keys to push and what the mouse buttons do.

PS- Saint, unless you're talking about Japanese military officers, it's spelled "honcho."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
D'oh

Well, if I correct it, we run the possibility of borking the HTML in the forum post about it.. So.. I guess I'm saying they're Japanese Military guys! Yeah, that's it. Or better yet, I'm spelling it the way I'd pronouce it with my Southern drawl, much like Stephen King does with his Maine residents saying, Ayuh instead of, Yeah.

triCritical

Erudite
KotOR is probably one of the most unimmersive games I have ever played. It reminded me of a console title that forced me to stay in ridiculous boundaries composed of trees and barrels. I can jump 10 feet in the air but I can't jump over a 1 foot curb onto a patio. Its just stupid!

Almost nothing in the 3D environment can be used, modified or has a purpose other then being a texture for a 3D wall. The immersion is dropped, when I can't attack characters I want to kill, constantly attacked by enemies appearing from no where ( something they made stupid back in the day of Baldur's Gate) and assassins always seems to find me at the same exact location. :shock:

I am not going to say that KotOR is not cinematic, or that the lips and words are not sync'd, but the fact of the matter is that the cinematic and sync-ing is worse then a bad B-movie, so why should a game replace it. Especially with the interaction at an all time low. The fact that combat still dominates the game, not to mention the ridiculous plot devices to force more of the stupid combat, and the combat itself is so shitty, that this game is really not that good.

I had fun on Taris, but the gmae goes down hill in a big way from that point on. Reaching the low fighting the Taran-what-ever-the-fuck-you-call-them on the sith planet. Bottomline, the game just was not that good.

I guess its just not my kind of a game. And to motivate Volourn, into returning, I will take ToEE over this heap any day. And not because ToEE is that good, because its not, but because, it does what well what it tries to do well. Something that I think a lot of the rags over look.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hey, Volourn, we thought you was dead or something :lol: Welcome back :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Check out the new game, Teudogar, it's good if you don't mind the graphics.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I play the Internet Debate Game. Worst graphics ever so graphics are not a priorty for me. I'll check it out.

Anonymous

2003 was crappy for games, especially for RPGs. The only real saving grace I can think of was Temple of Elemental Evil, I just got it 2 days ago and have been playing crazily and goddamn it's excellent.

And hey there Volourn, glad to see we still got ol' stupid you to keep the scales balanced. Many smart people and then one huge dumbass.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The fact you think TOEE is "excellent" shows who the dumbass is. :shock:

Vault Dweller

Developer
LlamaGod said:
And hey there Volourn, glad to see we still got ol' stupid you to keep the scales balanced. Many smart people and then one huge dumbass.
And the reason for name calling is...?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
The fact you think TOEE is "excellent" shows who the dumbass is. :shock:
ToEE is an excellent game, go play some more NWN to complete the brainwashing :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. That was completed a long time ago. As for TOEE being excellent. Being excellent in one area of hgameplay makes agame one dimensional; not excellent.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
This could go on forever; but nah it won't. It ends with this: I am right; you are wrong.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Actually, Greyhawk is right, granted, ToEE represents only one dimension of the genre, but it does a fine job there, then we have Arcanum that does a great job of storytelling and role-playing but completely butchers the combat, and then we have NWN that has poor rp and mediocre combat. Given a choice, I'd rather play games that got at least one part right, so, in conclusion, you suck :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Quite frankly, other than the fact that NWN isn't tb; it's combat is very well done whith more options than basically any rpg not named TOEE. It's story; while not as good as Arcanum definitely beats most tripe. So, if you menat medicore as any better than other games except in one area than I'd agree with you. :lol:

Spazmo

Erudite
Combat in NWN, like any Bio game, is a bore. Mostly, you just pick a target and watch until it drops. KotOR is particularly bad in this respect. Your character will do something, then nothing for six seconds, then another canned animation. It's particularly bad when using potions.

But besides that, RT does change how combat plays out, despite what BioBuddies will say (incidentally, I'm trying to find a way to work "Bio" into the word brainwashing for extra zing--any ideas?). In TB, your attention is drawn to each character you control and to each of their actions, allowing you to make the most of your options. In RT, however, you're pretty much encouraged to just let things play out and hope for the best. Maybe I'm just retarded. Maybe I'm just a bit slow. But I still say TB lends itself FAR better than RT to RPG combat since the focus should be on the character's abilities and not on the player's space bar mashing reflexes.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Spazmo said:
incidentally, I'm trying to find a way to work "Bio" into the word brainwashing for extra zing--any ideas?
Hmm, a worthy goal. Unfortunately the only thing I can come up with is BraInwOshing but it kinda sucks. :lol:

Anonymous

Volourn said:
Quite frankly, other than the fact that NWN isn't tb; it's combat is very well done whith more options than basically any rpg not named TOEE. It's story; while not as good as Arcanum definitely beats most tripe. So, if you menat medicore as any better than other games except in one area than I'd agree with you. :lol:

Yes, combat is SO amazing. You like..pick a target and automatically fight it. AMAZING! Options include: Turning on Power Attack, pressing spacebar and ocassionaly pressing a hotkey for a potion

And I really feel bad for anyone who played a Cleric in NWN.

And granted, ToEE's story is basically 'go kill/join the evil dudes', but I do recall the whole idea of the Greyhawk setting was to be plain ol' dungeons,monsters and l00t (especially since Greyhawk is the default gameworld in 3rd ed.)

Yet NWN was in Forgotten Realms which has probably a bajillion novels, a large history with it's own kingdoms and governments and plots, subplots and legends, all that. And your quest in NWN is 'uhh, go fetch some stuff and stop those disease dudes or something'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom