Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News George Ziets abandons Bethesda, Alex Brandon leaves Obsidian

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

Once upon a time there was a man called George Ziets. He worked at Obsidian on Neverwinter Nights 2 and the Mask of the Betrayer <s>expansion</s> mod. He left to join Bethesda. I guess he didn't like the decor or something because as soon as he got there, he <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=51484">turned around and went right back to Obsidian</a>, from the words of Sawyer:
<br>
<blockquote>In happier news (happier than Alex Brandon leaving, I mean), George Ziets has returned to the hood to pimp walk the halls of Obsidian once again.</blockquote>
<br>
George was at Bethesda for all of about five months. The Alex Brandon who left <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=51474">was the Audio dude</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Pastel</b>!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
(happier than Alex Brandon leaving, I mean)

This is surprising, hearing a dev shit-talk. I wonder what the source of that was.

And George Ziets left for Bethesda? What, for more money or something?

Pastel

Scholar
George Ziets is one of the best RPG designers nowadays. Considering that his talent would have mattered fuck all at Zenimax MMORPG Bandwagon Division, it's great that he came back.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:

This is surprising, hearing a dev shit-talk. I wonder what the source of that was.
I think Sawyer means that Alex leaving was sad news, thus this is happier news. Alternatively he's making a joke.

Pastel

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:

Taken out of context, it might appear so. But, "In happier news" implies that the previous news was sad, and the paranthesis serves to explain what said previous news consisted of.

Dicksmoker said:
I think he banged some chick in Maryland and had she had a child. Something like that, anyway.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DarkUnderlord said:
Dicksmoker said:

I think Sawyer means that Alex leaving was sad news, thus this is happier news. Alternatively he's making a joke.

Oh okay. Wow, I look dense now.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
cardtrick said:
Dicksmoker said:
Oh okay. Wow, I look dense now.

It's okay. With a username like "Dicksmoker", you really didn't have a lot of dignity left to lose.

damn, this reply made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight

edit:

Worm King said:
How much was Ziets' part of MotB?

Anthony could say better than I, but he was the creative designer on the project so a lot of the writing and storyline were his work.

Azban

Novice
Dicksmoker said:

Not 100% sure but I think he has family/friends on the east coast that he felt he needed to be closer to for some time.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Anthony Davis said:
Yeah a bittersweet moment at OEI. We lose Alexander, but we gain George.

I'd say you've come relatively well out of the affair, it could have been worse.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jeff Graw said:
Also the music in Tyrian, the best vertical shooter ever made...

Damn that game was awesome. I still have it installed on an old Pentium 2 machine.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Now that Obsidian finally makes a couple of games that would really work with Alex Brandon's music style, he left.

This worries me. How bad is Bethesda's next game going to be if a guy would rather go back to making Neverwinter Nights expansion packs and Bourne knock-offs - while being paid less?!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Prosthetic Brain said:
This worries me. How bad is Bethesda's next game going to be if a guy would rather go back to making Neverwinter Nights expansion packs and Bourne knock-offs - while being paid less?!
Psssst.

The difference is that one of those expansions was among the best RPGs ever made. And judging from Codex appearances, Obsidian a p. cool place that doesn't afraid of anything.

elander_

Arbiter
I recall Leonard Boyarsky saying something like he contacted Bethesda to work for them in Fallout 3 and the answer was (from Pete) that he would not understand or adapt to Bethesda culture, working habits or something like that. You have to be a very shitty software house obsessed about controlling every one of your employees like a bitch to refuse someone with LB credits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom