Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Entertainment Depot stongly dislikes Lionheart

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

<a href=http://www.entdepot.com>The Entertainment Depot</a> posted <a href=http://www.entdepot.com/pc/lionheart/review.php>review</a> of <a href=http://lionheart.blackisle.com>Lionheart</a> giving it <b>4.5 out of 10</b>. Actually they gave it 3 for gameplay, but graphics and sound saved the day
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In light of the failures of the wholly misused and horrendously implemented character development system and the combat that drives much of the game itself, there is in fact little reason to even bother with Lionheart, apart from its interesting plot. It's a textbook exercise in bad game design, as nearly every strength Lionheart may have initially possessed has been ground into oblivion by the endless frustrations that plague the entire experience. Only the sound and graphics bear any kind of standard of quality here; sadly, eye and ear candy are not nearly enough to carry one through hours and hours of action-RPG gameplay. In the end, Lionheart is such an addled mess that even the bargain bin won't likely be a good enough fate for it, where even value-minded gamers should avoid it like the plague…or the Inquisition.</blockquote>
<br>
Not much else to add. "Lionheart: an exercise in bad game design" sums it up very nicely
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href=http://www.gengamers.com/index.html>GenGamers</a>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Greyhawk's best Lionheart memories:
*click*
*wait for a few minutes as the enemy's life bar slowly empties*

Greyhawk's worst Lionheart memories:
*wait till final boss starts his breath attack*
*click on final boss to hit a few times*
*run away as the breath attack ends*
*repeat roughly 150 times*

Ausir

Arcane
I have good memories from the moment I got the money from the Polish translation of LH :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's a shame though, I'd never understand how they managed to fuck it up so badly. I mean did they really think that Lionheart would do well? Every feature has been implemented in the most horrible manner including items generation. I'm working on Lionheart's review for the Codex now and I'm forced to experienced that horror all over again.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I'm working on Lionheart's review for the Codex now and I'm forced to experienced that horror all over again.

Why even do a review? I mean... okay, here's MY review:

Lionheart review by Otaku Hanzo -

IT SUCKED!!!!

The end.

Now you can just post that and save yourself the pain of playing that dog over again. ;) You have my permission. :lol:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Actually, it should be:

Lionheart Review:

It sucked. But i like being fair and giving it a second chance. Upon replaying it, it is my honest, unbiased opinion that IT SUCKED. HARD.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Why even do a review?
Saint asked me to do it. I agreed because Lionheart is a game that could have been if not great then very very good. So my review would be a postmortem for the idea that could have been, assuming that Saint approves it of course. But, yeah, it sucked, there is no arguing about it.

Role-Player said:
Lionheart Review:

It sucked. But i like being fair and giving it a second chance. Upon replaying it, it is my honest, unbiased opinion that IT SUCKED. HARD.
lol, I will definitely use that in my review

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Your review sounds interesting/ I know I looked at Lionheart and thought they've got an interesting world to play with. I even liked the trailer they released.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I liked the trailer too, and felt the game had potential. It just amazes me how much different the game was from the hype. Bad development at it's best. The game could have rocked, on that I will agree. It didn't though. And that's a sad thing indeed.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
At first Lionheart actually looked very interesting to me. The setting seemed like an original one and the fact that SPECIAL would be used also grabbed my attention. Then I found out that Black Isle is only Lionheart's publisher and that some Reflexive would actually be developing it. Well, needless to say, I looked at this "Reflexive" and found out that their other games were... let's just say not too well accepted. Considering that apparently they had no previous experience with RPG's, of course my anticipation for Lionheart went down very quickly. I even posted this on the Lionheart message board on GameFAQs. I got responses which, oddly enough, were not flames, however were like "you shouldn't base your judgements solely on the fact that they are a newbie developer, I mean Bioware was a newbie developer and look what they BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA". Okay, so it was a pretty expected response. So then, on various message boards, topics like "Are you looking forward to Lionheart" start popping up, and most people post that it looks good, but I post that I think it'll suck. Okay, needless to say I get more of the responses in Reflexive's defense like "oh but Zax wasn't too bad, etc. etc.". Heh, even when the crappy demo came out, people were still "oh but this is just a sloppy rushed demo, the game itself will be much better".

So Lionheart finally comes out, and I try to refrain from making too much fun of the people who kept on defending the game right to the last second.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Worse of it all is that their game, Crimsonland, which is an overhead simple shooter, actually uses the Perk idea of the SPECIAL system somewhat better than what is done in Lionheart :?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
My review ?

A nice 5 hours game.

Actually lionheart is good if you rent it for 2 days max and play the first 5 hours before the dungeon crawl starts.

But to buy it ?

Ha ha ha !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom