Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence heading for the Big Leagues

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower

At the <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.msg19219#msg19219" target="blank">Iron Tower Forums</a>, VD revealed that <b><a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/" target="blank">Age of Decadence</a></b> might be coming to a store shelf near you.
<br>
<blockquote>We were contacted by a well known publisher today. The publisher thinks that AoD is a "top-tier" product that simply must be on Gamestop and EB Games shelves across North America.</blockquote>
<br>
<blockquote>Anyway, so far it looks promising. The publisher has accepted our "not negotiable" points (we retain all rights to the setting and future titles based on the AoD world, any DRM decisions should be approved by us, etc). We'll see.</blockquote>
<br>
But they haven't quite put all their eggs in one basket:
<br>
<blockquote>We aren't negotiating them with them yet. The marketing value of the game continues to grow; the game is still in development, so it would be pointless to make any kind of deals right now, unless a deal is very, very attractive.
<br>
<br>
Besides, I want to keep all options open for NA publishers, in case we decide to go with one. The publisher we are talking to right now is interested in NA and worldwide rights. At the moment we have strong interest from Russian, Polish, French, and German publishers, and a number of NA portals, including STEAM.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

Tintin

Arbiter
Wow, I'm surprised. I didn't think that there was enough of a market for a low-gfx turn-based CRPG. Good going.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Honestly, I don't think it is that low-gfx anymore. Sure, it's not as flashy as mainstream games, but when Oscar came aboard the look of the game has improved a lot.

Personally, I just want the damned game to come out before I'm 30. So, that gives them one and a half more years of development. Get to it!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's Bethesda.

Tintin said:
Wow, I'm surprised. I didn't think that there was enough of a market for a low-gfx turn-based CRPG.
Heh. My reaction was almost the complete opposite. "It took them this long?" AoD's getting around and there are lot of publishers in that sort of space. There are a lot of games with worse graphics getting commercial releases (Hell, even the re-release of X-Com on Steam should show you something about the game market today). The real question is what type of pressure it puts on the game's development if a "too good to turn down" deal does come along.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
If this works out, I hope it comes out in Australia. Doubtful though.

I'm counting on the planets being aligned when it comes out, and is a HUGE SUCCESS and sells ten million copies. Bethesda goes out of business and turn-based isometric becomes the standard. A man can dream...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD has done a hell of job hyping the game. And, unlike a certain SOZZY game (I won't mention any names); AOD looks pretty damn good to go with the hype.

I hope it gets to stores as I would be guaranteed to buy it then. Not a huge fan of internet services.

dagorkan

Arbiter
baby arm said:
We aren't negotiating them with them yet. The marketing value of the game continues to grow; the game is still in development, so it would be pointless to make any kind of deals right now, unless a deal is very, very attractive.

Besides, I want to keep all options open for NA publishers, in case we decide to go with one. The publisher we are talking to right now is interested in NA and worldwide rights. At the moment we have strong interest from Russian, Polish, French, and German publishers, and a number of NA portals, including STEAM.

VD is Vice-President of Marketting. He knows his shit...

Jebus

Novice
If it does go on Steam or any other on-line distributor, it's isn't going to be one of those 'North America and Canada only' things, right?

The gamestore market is pretty small here in Flanders, so I feel physical copies might be hard to obtain for me.

NiM82

Prophet
Jebus said:
If it does go on Steam or any other on-line distributor, it's isn't going to be one of those 'North America and Canada only' things, right?
Doubt it, I've bought tons of stuff of Steam, Impulse, etc.

It's only really films/tv that play around with regional distribution only, fucking MPAA.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
NiM82 said:
Jebus said:
Doubt it, I've bought tons of stuff of Steam, Impulse, etc.

It's only really films/tv that play around with regional distribution only, fucking MPAA.
Pretty sure most of Ubisoft's and Atari's games on steam are only available for NA customers.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/restofworld

Fyz

Scholar
Good news indeed.
However I'm a bit concerned on the quality of the European versions if you decide to localize the game.
Still, I'll always have the option of a digital purchase...

NiM82

Prophet
PlanHex said:
Pretty sure most of Ubisoft's and Atari's games on steam are only available for NA customers.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/restofworld

In that case it's not Steam that's limiting their sales outside NA, it's Atari and Ubisoft being spanners and demanding sales be limited to certain regions due to their stupid corporate shenanigans. I can't see VD going down that route, not unless he plans on Pirate Bay becoming the primary distributor for Europe.

xuerebx

Erudite
Tintin said:
Wow, I'm surprised. I didn't think that there was enough of a market for a low-gfx turn-based CRPG. Good going.

It isn't low graphics as far as I'm concerned. Showed some latest screenshots to a guy and he said the game does look quite good graphically, especially for an indie game. Have you seen the last palace interior screenshot? That one is lovely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom