Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Fallout Lives!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

It's official! Black Isle Studios is still going strong and Interplay has not abandoned us! Hope lives, and it lives in the form of a press release (which I got in the mail)!
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Thanks for your note and comments on Interplay, its games, and recent actions.
<br>
<br>
For some reason, there has been a high amount of speculation about Black Isle Studios and intellectual property surrounding the Fallout license. My only guess is that the source of these <b>rumors</b> must be an employee/employees who recently departed Interplay.
<br>
<br>
My response to these rumors is quite simple: Interplay management makes decisions and takes action on items relating to product, personnel, costs, revenue, and more on a day-to-day basis, none of which would be deemed material by SEC regulations, and none of which would merit a public announcement or press release.
<br>
<br>
Accordingly, if Interplay management had closed its most valuable development asset or chosen to abandon one of its most prized intellectual assets, the Company would have made an announcement.
<br>
<br>
As always, Interplay management is focused on delivering great, profitable games and maximum shareholder value.</blockquote>
<br>
Way to go Interplay and three cheers for the boys at Black Isle Studios! Caen and Molitor, please keep up the good work and may Fallout be as prosperous as always! We'll remember not to let a few dissidents (aka angry developers) ruin the fun for everyone else.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Mr.Teatime</b> and keep the BIS support up. Hoorah!
<br>
<br>
"<i>Oh, crap! I guess this means I'm really freakin' late for work!</i>" - BIS Developer (<a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3414" target="blank">link</a>)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Heh, I wondered... for a few seconds.

So IPLY is now making console games but doesn't want to lose all the work that was put into VB. So what will they do? Maybe they'll take those maps that were already made and use it as a background for an Arkanoid clone?
As always, Interplay management is focused on delivering great, profitable games and maximum shareholder value
What was the value recently? $0.02?

Psilon

Erudite
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever find out who the various leaks at Interplay were, since that could adversely affect their future prospects in the industry.

That said, I still want to know. I'm curious where the moles fall on the org chart.

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
That's sarcastic in case you're wondering.

It's a good thing that you posted that; otherwise it would have been flame city baby, and babe it would have been a scorcher.

On a side note, why do they lie so much?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
This reminds me of the time that Micro Forte fired all the FOT team after FOT went gold, then hired them back and said it never happenned.

But notice they really say nothing about Fallout 3 not getting cancelled, only that BIS wasn't really closed - despite firing all the guys.

Lemon

Arcane
So this way even though It doesn't exist, they can still put the Black Isle Logo on anything they'd want to.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I dont even really give a shit anymore. If IPLY had enough money to continue with FO3, it could've helped them out big time. Eh, what can you do.

Voss

Erudite
The annoying thing is this is going to convince a frothing pack of idiots that FO3 is still in development.

On the other hand, it just shows what little respect Iplay has for people.

On another note, they've flogged the one other game they have in development: Galleon.
Hervé Caen said, "In development for more than three years, Galleon no longer fits with Interplay's strategy going forward. Heading into 2004, Interplay is facing critical decisions about its future strategy, its resources, and its product lineup. The company's development resources will be streamlined and focused on high profile game titles we have planned for release next year and in the near term, including Exalted, an action/adventure title now in development.

strategy going forward my ass.

Anyway, look at it this way: Lionheart will probably be the last PC game Iplay will ever be associated with.
Amusing in a way (the way that illustrates a complete lack of standards of Iplays part)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So if all you kids believe in fairies and clap your hands, Fallout3 will live!!!1

At least they aren't sending out:

"Thank you for your interest in the Fallout Franchise, be sure to check out Fallout: Brother of Steel, coming to a console near you sometime eventually possibly, it r0x0rs!"

Lemon

Arcane
Voss, they also have that WW2 shooter scheduled for a 2Q Xbox/PS2 release.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
GameSpot is Interplay's bitch. Here's an excerpt from their news post about the screenshots on NMA:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3 ... 85620.html

GameSpot had planned on posting the Fallout 3 screenshots, but were denied permission by Interplay shortly before this story went live. "Since the title was officially never announced, we're not allowed to discuss it," said an Interplay spokesperson, who would only refer to the game by its official code name, Van Buren. "The executive order is that we don't want anything from it published." The spokesperson confirmed that the order came directly from Interplay CEO Herve Caen.

And this is what separates the gaming media from REAL NEWS.

DemonKing

Arcane
WOW - the guy that wrote this press release for Interplay must have worked for the Iraqi Information Ministry before he scored this gig.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Places like GameSpot are more like PR firms than they are anything else. They get an exclusive demo or screenshots for good PR, then they charge the end gaming consumer for letting them use it.

It's just another example of why the gaming industry is seriously idiotic right now.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's all about consumerism. When someone sees a niche they can fill and make a nice little profit out of, everyone without any existing niches rushes to fill it. Just you wait, in a couple of years every mainstream gaming website (short of the RPGDot and any other independently run websites) will charge for their exclusives (and even non-exclusives) as everyone surfing the internet will have the credits to be a full-time consumer whore.

Isn't it sad that piracy will once again become the last and final bastion of 'cheap/free/non-taxed stuff' the same way booze was back in the Depression Era in the US and just about everywhere during the Age of Conquest. That's not a question - it's a prediction. Nothing ever changes, does it?

Seven

Erudite
So... people lie to make money (well, that and habit :wink: ), hmm... makes sense, but it still pisses me off.

I couldn't believe that gamespot post, now I'm happy that I stopped going there. This whole situation is disgusting. On a side note I wonder what Troika's working on next, I got my money on post-apocalyptic-plant-world.

potatohead

Novice
Maybe the little logo tagline will read:

For Suits By Suits

or

"Fer Vapor, By Vapor" like in the redneck rampage days.

Who says a design studio needs employees. :roll:

-------

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

Voss

Erudite
Lemon said:
Voss, they also have that WW2 shooter scheduled for a 2Q Xbox/PS2 release.

Ah- I was going by what they advertise on their site.
But still:
a) another WW2 game? and a shooter to boot? Yawn.
b) holding herve's no PC 'stratuhgee'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom