Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyclopean interactive dialogue preview

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Cyclopean; Iron Tower

There's <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0">another little app</a> you can run to get a glimpse of Cyclopean, the Lovecraftian cRPG project from Iron Tower.<blockquote><b>What is it?</b>
<br>
Using a small Flash app authored in the Outer Void, Cyclopean Dialogue Adventures previews in game interactive dialogue for Cyclopean fans to peruse.
<br>
<br>
<b>How does it work?</b>
<br>
The application requires Flash Shockwave Player, a freely downloadable plug-in you probably already have. If it does not open in one click, try to Open With Firefox, or other (uncool) browser of your choice.
<br>
<br>
<b>Bug reporting</b>
<br>
If you think there is an error in the dialogue, or in the result of a choice you have made, please note the slide number, which appears at the top left of the screen. Usually, the format is something like 'npc9_1'.
<br>
<br>
<b>What won't be changed</b>
<br>
Right now, player responses do not remain on screen alongside NPC responses. This may be counter-intuitive to the RPG veteran, but if you pay attention to your choices it shouldn't be too confusing.
<br>
<br>
This first CDA is an introductory conversation and quest assignment from Agent Wrenwood. It does not feature an amazing array of character Background/Skill/Trait checks, just the ones I thought made sense for the situation.</blockquote>The link to the file is under the first post in <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0">this thread</a>. You might also want to try the <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=582.0">character generator</a>, if you haven't done so yet.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</A>

dagorkan

Arbiter
Respect system is pretty cool. I did the usual RPG routine and I pissed him off almost too much by the end of the first meeting. When I failed the first quest he paid me and told me he had another job but thought I was incompetent [GAME OVER]

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
The tone of the game reminds me of another Cthulu game, Dark Corners of the Earth. Hopefully Cyclopean can be as atmospheric and scary as that.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's an .swf file. Can't they embed it into a page on their website like proper people do?

Pfft. Amateurs. I bet this is going to be one of those games you have to compile yourself which then never works and levelling up your character involves editing a .ini file. I hear save games are going to be done by using a hex editor to change the values yourself and the game's quest journal involves opening notepad.

Yep, that's the message I took away from that.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah I had trouble viewing the SWF file as well, and then sort of gave up. Firefox didnt launch Flash properly to view it, neither did IE.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah yeah since clicking the file, choosing "open with a program...."
and then choosing your favourite browser is SOOOO hard.

And if it doesn't work, maybe your flashplayer needs some love.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ok I got it to work now. It seems almost as a separate attempt to make a game driven entirely by dialogue. Looks a lot like concept screens of American Hare, only actually working.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Underlord, there was a proposition eons ago to make possible to embed youtube video to codex. Why it isn't done yet?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
GarfunkeL said:
And it's SOOOOO hard to upload it to your web server properly and just link to it. A .swf file is designed to be loaded in a web browser, typically on a web page. It just seems odd that people have to download it. It wouldn't be hard to throw it up and, you know, link to it. It'd be pretty much like what they've done now, only without the unncesessary extra steps. Will we be downloading their web page in future as .html files in a post attachment and having to open them in our browsers manually too?

inwoker said:
Dark Underlord, there was a proposition eons ago to make possible to embed youtube video to codex. Why it isn't done yet?
... because we don't want you fuckers embedding YouTube videos in the Codex.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
GarfunkeL said:

And if it doesn't work, maybe your flashplayer needs some love.

Last time I did that for a bmp file Firefox got looped with opening new tabs (he opens a blank tab every time he opens up a file using a selected app).

Anyway saving the file and dragging'n'dropping it into the browser window is the safest way.

A user named cat

DarkUnderlord said:
... because we don't want you fuckers embedding YouTube videos in the Codex.
Fuck you

I don't see the problem, just use Flashblock with Firefox and they won't autoplay if that's the problem. Might as well remove IMG tags too then.

A user named cat

Sorry, it was just a music video for "Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me".

80's music still wins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom