Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay just gets stupider

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

Well, just when you thought they'd reached the bottom of the stupid barrel, <A href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> has proven they can claw their way through the wood lined bottom and continue digging towards China.
<br>
<br>
Apparently, the half wits in charge over there, <b>Herve Caen</b>, <b>Jim Molitor</b>, and the rest of the happy elves, have decided that they no longer need to make PC CRPGs. Instead, they'll make really crappy console games - just like <A href="http://www.titusgames.com">Titus</a> does. In fact, they decided to cancel <b>Fallout 3</b> and go ahead with the sequel to that really lame assed console game, <b>Fallout Enforcer</b> - even though the first one hasn't shipped so it hasn't had the chance to flop yet. In fact, I bet this game is really well recieved since the higher ups have decided to cut <b>Fallout Enforcer</b> in half, and make two games out of it. Isn't that brilliant?
<br>
<br>
Oh, not only did they cancel <b>Fallout 3</b>, they also sacked <A href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle Studios</a> - which was the main bread winner for the company up until they decided to force them to make such wonderful titles as <A href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com">Icewind Dale 2</a> and <A href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a>.
<br>
<br>
So, there you have it. <A href="http://www.blackisle.com">BIS</a> is gone, <b>Fallout 3</b> is canned, and more shitty console games for the future! Hoorah!
<br>

Voss

Erudite
I give them at most six months before they sell the Fallout PC license for cash so they can stumble onwards for *another* six months.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Voss said:
I give them at most six months before they sell the Fallout PC license for cash so they can stumble onwards for *another* six months.

I hope...........

triCritical

Erudite
YOU GUYS JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!

FOR CRISSAKES, DON'T YOU REALISE THAT FOBOS WILL OPEN THE DOOR FOR FO3!

DON'T YOUR REALIZE THAT IF FOBOS IS SUCCESSFUL MORE PEOPLE WILL BUY FO3!!

remember that one...

Spazmo

Erudite
Voss said:

Six months? Shit, that's already pretty damned optimistic.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope they sell the Fallout License, and they "Think" it's just the PC license, so then they aren't able to release FOBoS, cause it would violate the license agreement

Voss

Erudite
Well, I was thinking since they have two games *finished* they'll eventually get them into stores and survive a bit longer.

On the other hand, it'd be fucking hilarious if they collapsed because they couldn't even get finished projects out the door.

bcr19374

Novice
What's the problem? Who among the people fired actually ever worked on a game anyone liked? The name doesn't mean anything; it wasn't even Black Isle when Fallout was released.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Voss said:

The way things are going Bioware will probably buy it and make it their new MMORPG.

Rosh

Erudite
Holy shit! I never expected this. And I usually never underestimate the depths of human stupidity, but it seems that Titus/Interplay excels in that department.

Sammael

Liturgist
Rosh said:
Holy shit! I never expected this.
I thought Saint would have informed you about it ages ago.

Anyways, this is it. I shall be watching the plummet of IPLY's stocks down into oblivion with great pleasure and I hope that Herve will die of a horrible disfiguring disease within three months.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Sammael said:
and I hope that Herve will die of a horrible disfiguring disease within three months.

Actually, I want him to live long enough to see FO3 get brought out by developers who listened to the fans and made it a worthwile title in the series that makes said developers tons of money and puts their company way in the green. Then he can die. :twisted:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So is it just that Black Isle are indie now, or are they non-existent?

Aha, from RPGDot:
"So, BIS is no longer. Anytime you see the BIS logo on a future product, know that no one who was associated w/ BIS actually worked on it. BIS is nothing more than a sticker that IPLY slaps on their future product."

That answers my question.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Honestly, I don't see how anyone couldn't have seen this one coming. Brios' retarded behaviour on the NMA forums just makes me want to slap him at the back of the head for behaving the way he does.

I just hope Puuk and the rest of them land jobs at a place where they can actually finish their projects. It sucks that they were fired just two weeks before Christmas, by surprise, and on Puuk's birthday, too. What a nice birthday gift.

Megatron

Liturgist
I think it's a bit funny, but not exactly the greatest joke of the year. It's funny how the interplay boards are looking though, people seem pissed off but not in a fallout fan sort of way. Pity about the people who got fired, just before christmas too.

This has to be one of the dumbest gaming business moves in a while though. I'd like to think that the gaming industry might learn from this, but I doubt it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
IPLAY is headed for a dirt nap. It's just a matter of time. Getting rid of BIS was just another nail in the coffin. And cutting these people loose just before Xmas goes to show just what assholes they really are. Fuck 'em. I can't even remember when the last time I purchased a product from them was. They used to be a good decent company that shelled out fun games, but soon their tombstone will be right there with Microprose's and all the other companies that are swimming with the fishes.

Rayt

Liturgist
triCritical said:

remember that one...

I honestly thought that would be true. :oops:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Rayt said:
triCritical said:

remember that one...

I honestly thought that would be true. :oops:

:shock: Ack!! Burn ze infidel!!!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Now I really hope that PhoBoZ crash and burn, like the steaming pile of crap it is. The sooner Interplay is forced to sell off assets (like a certain license) the better. I think this adds more weight to the rumor that Herve Caen's business degree is a sham.

Human Shield

Augur
triCritical said:

remember that one...

You made my day.

We really don't need a Fallout 3 if they weren't going to do it right, flaws in the settings were already appearing, the best it could have been would be 3/4 of Fallout 2. Interplay didn't want a good game, a true sequel can never be made there.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, just when you thought they'd reached the bottom of the stupid barrel, <A href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> has proven they can claw their way through the wood lined bottom and continue digging towards China.

Actaully, they'd be in the Indian Ocean. Unless they weren't digging straight down.

I'm thinking JE jives most with Obsidian, because he did say how he enjoyed working with MCA and Dave M. Ultimately though, I hope Troika picks up the Fallout license. It was Tim Cain's baby, and I think he'll know how we want it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Greenskin13 said:
I'm thinking JE jives most with Obsidian, because he did say how he enjoyed working with MCA and Dave M. Ultimately though, I hope Troika picks up the Fallout license. It was Tim Cain's baby, and I think he'll know how we want it.

JE's gone to Midway to make console games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom