Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 2 a finalist on GameTunnel

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Geneforge 2; Spiderweb Software

I noticed on <A href="http://www.gametunnel.com/">GameTunnel</a> that <A href="http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge2/index.html">Geneforge 2</a> is a finalist in <a href="http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-viewarticle-17.html">their <b>others</b> category</a> for the 2003 indie game of the year. Of course, it's up against <A href="http://www.spectre-software.com/db/necrotech/index.asp">Necrotech</a>, so the competition isn't that steep.
<br>
<br>
Go, Jeff! Go!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this on <A href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/">Gamers with Jobs</a>.
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Necrotech?!!? *yawn* What a joke. That game is horrid. Geneforge 2 beats it by a long shot. Hell, Geneforge 1 beats it by a long shot. Well fuck, Avernum beats it by a long shot for that matter.

If Necrotech wins, I will most likely have to go on a killing spree. Oh wait, but if I do they might blame it on a video game and then the industry would suffer some more. Guess I better not then. :?

Psilon

Erudite
Don't forget the other finalists: "Dope Farmer," a board game, and a tennis game.

Jeff better win this one, or else he should call out the Scorched Earth Party for some lead pipe action.

jvn3t

Novice
Dope Farmer? Tennis Critters? NECROTECH? If Geneforge doesn't win, I'm going to fucking kill myself.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What? I 'm only plannin' to go to pay my last respects for a fellow gamer. :?

Jed

Cipher
This game is so good; one of my Mac friends has had it since it came out, and I decided to play it since I'm hanging out with her alot anyway and damn! I think I might even like it more than the first, but that might also have to do with having a better understanding as how to play Jeff's games (Geneforge I was my first Spiderweb game). I know there's a lot of other games to play right now--ToEE, KotOR, Silent Storm--but don't pass this one up!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I jsut wnat to see if the guy is all talk; or will actually follow through with his suicide threat over a game. I mena, last I checked, just because doens't win some silly award doesn't mean it sucks.

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn said:
I jsut wnat to see if the guy is all talk; or will actually follow through with his suicide threat over a game. I mena, last I checked, just because doens't win some silly award doesn't mean it sucks.

In fact, many games that win awards are the ones that suck.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Hehe. No worries. Just messin' with you. It is a really good game and I hope it does win because it deserves the recognition. But if it doesn't win, I'm still gonna like the game and it's not gonna get me bent out of shape. Well, except if Necrotech wins. That game blows chunks. :(

Greenskin13

Erudite
I'm kinda torn over indie awards. It's a great way to bring attention to otherwise cult classics, but I also feel that it's slightly insulting. You know, like saying its not good enough to take on the big names, even though I can find myself playing an indie for a lot longer than a popular title.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I view indie awards as the grammy of the gaming industry. Whereas the big productions get the oscars. Either way you look at it, if I was an indie dev and my game won an award of any kind, I would feel pretty good about that.

I think most indie developers realize that their games aren't gonna get the awards the big dogs do like GOTY and shit like that. Heck, I'm sure some of them don't even expect awards. They just wanna get their game out and hope that someone will see it and say "Hey, these guys are good. Give 'em some money." :)

jvn3t

Novice
Volourn said:
I mena, last I checked, just because doens't win some silly award doesn't mean it sucks.

It's the principle of the matter; if a game like Geneforge loses to a game like Dope Farmer, the insult is too great to carry on, and the only way to redeem myself is through ritual suicide. I've got a scalding hot vat of nacho cheese in mind right now, but I guess I'll play it by ear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom