Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Storm of Zehir interview at GameShark

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir; Obsidian Entertainment

Gameshark have <a href="http://www.gameshark.com/features/522/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Storm-of-Zehir-Q&A.htm">interviewed</a> Obsidian's Rob McGinnis, Producer of Storm of Zehir, the new expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2.<blockquote><b>What&#8217;s special about the Chultan Peninsula that makes it an idea location for the expansion?</b>
<br>
<br>
We chose the Chultan peninsula because it hadn't been featured in many D&D games previous to this one. It was exotic and exciting to many of us, and it gave us the chance to add some dinosaurs to the game. Other than monkeys, you can't really choose anything better than dinosaurs.</blockquote>But will it have <a href="http://xkcd.com/135/">raptors</a>?<blockquote><b>One of our writers was at Gen Con and saw a demo and came away puzzled about the new trading feature. What&#8217;s this all about?</b>
<br>
<br>
Storm of Zehir's storyline involves many economical aspects. One of the reasons that you're allowed free passage around Samarach is that you earn the patronage of the leader of a powerful merchant empire; otherwise the Samarachans would greatly restrict your movement. Also, when you return to the Sword Coast, you find that the economy has been greatly weakened by the war with the King of Shadows; whether you choose to exploit this or attempt to repair the economy is up to you.
<br>
<br>
The core of the system revolves around trading raw materials to towns and cities that you come across in exchange for trade bars, which are a kind of currency that is used by various merchant guilds that you will have to interact with to advance the story. The better your relations with these merchant guilds, the better the gear you will be able to purchase from them. You will also be able to set up merchant caravans between cities, but they will also be in danger of attack from roaming monsters.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Read the whole thing <a href="http://www.gameshark.com/features/522/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Storm-of-Zehir-Q&A.htm">here</a>. It's quite interesting and Rob hits the right keys, saying that all skills will be meaningful etc.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Pastel

Scholar
Sounds great, but

The core of the system revolves around trading raw materials to towns and cities that you come across in exchange for trade bars, which are a kind of currency that is used by various merchant guilds that you will have to interact with to advance the story.

Trade bars? Why not trade for, you know, gold? Are they trying to separate the trading economy from the adventuring economy or what?

crakkie

Arcane
Pastel said:
The core of the system revolves around trading raw materials to towns and cities that you come across in exchange for trade bars, which are a kind of currency that is used by various merchant guilds that you will have to interact with to advance the story.

Trade bars? Why not trade for, you know, gold? Are they trying to separate the trading economy from the adventuring economy or what?
Trade guilds control the large-scale trade of one or many goods in a region. Only allowing trade by their issued "trade bars" and thus controlling the liquidity of goods makes their job much easier and solidifies their control of a market.

In a gameplay-related note, this would stop the player from selling 300 tonnes of cotton to buy a slightly better sword, and other metagamish uses of a trading system.

Pastel

Scholar
In a gameplay-related note, this would stop the player from selling 300 tonnes of cotton to buy a slightly better sword, and other metagamish uses of a trading system.
Read: logical uses of a trading system.

So if trading bars can't be redeemed for gold where do merchants get their moneyz, and what do they do with the bars?

Lurkar

Scholar
I think he other reason for the "Trade bars" is that you, personally, aren't the head honcho, you're working under the eye of someone else. You're upper management, but you aren't the CEO.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Pastel said:
Sounds great, but

I asked the same question. Apparently the Trade Bars are lore and cannon...or something like that.

The way I understand it you can at certain points sell the trade bars for gold.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
Pastel said:
Sounds great, but

I asked the same question. Apparently the Trade Bars are lore and cannon...or something like that.

Yes, "something like that." Trade bars are just... well, worth a lot of coins each (and, I suppose, not subject to the fluctuations of regional currencies), being made of precious metals. That's all, as far as I understand from canon.

Black

Arcane
Hey Obsi guys, I hope you are reading this.
I don't want dubbed SoZ. Polish version of Motb is an outrage- they killed Kaelynn. So tell your boss- customers want to have original voices.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you had to narrow it down, what do you think is the biggest single selling point to the expansion? For those who aren’t die-hards, since you basically already have that group’s money already, for new players or for those that may come back – what’s the biggest hook?

For hardcore RPGers, the draw will be the improved party systems (including full party creation and party dialogue, which allows all of your party members to speak and use skills in conversations), as well as the focus on making all of your skills meaningful. But everyone will enjoy the new overland map system, as well, which has a very large impact on the way the game is played.

Sounds rather neat.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Black said:
I don't want dubbed SoZ. Polish version of Motb is an outrage- they killed Kaelynn. So tell your boss- customers want to have original voices.
Exactly, the German version was (probably) crap. That's way I installed the english version from the multi-language DVD, the only positive development in computer games in the last 10 years... oh.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I have a question for those of you that have played NW2.

I played NW1 and but didn't really like it. I like the D&D rules set, but NW1 wasn't that great in my opinion.

Even the mods for it didn't seem that great. I prefer party based D&D games, and NW1 was really just me and some humanoid pets rather than a party.

Is NW2 a lot better? Is it worth trying?

- Livonya

uhjghvt

Scholar
well nobody liked the NWN1 OC it was trash, the NWN2 OC is much better but not great

Warden

Arbiter
Livonya said:
- Livonya

Livonya.. you don't have to write "-Livonya" at the end of every post. You know, your nick is public.. we see it. ;)
This practice seems to be very popular on the biowhore forums.. are ya coming from there? :)

Black

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Why you'd play a localized version is the real issue here.

Because english NWN 2 OC costs more here (Poland, uberest country) than polish NWN 2 OC + Motb. Retarded, I know.
And torrented version sucks because it patches like shit.

That's way I installed the english version from the multi-language DVD

Multi-language DVD? That's nice, a shame we don't have that kind of inventions here. lolcdprojekt fucks

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Livonya said:
I have a question for those of you that have played NW2.
Alright, alright! Let's do it, let's do it!

Is NW2 a lot better? Is it worth trying?
Yes and Yes. But make sure you buy the package that includes Mask of the Betrayer as it's a way better game than NWN2. Don't get me wrong, I had fun with NWN2 too but MotB was awesome.

- Livonya
- Andyman Messiah

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Warden said:
Livonya said:
- Livonya

Livonya.. you don't have to write "-Livonya" at the end of every post. You know, your nick is public.. we see it. ;)
This practice seems to be very popular on the biowhore forums.. are ya coming from there? :)

No, I have never been to the "biowhore" forums.

The thing is that I consider e-mails, and posts to be letters.

I always sign my letters.

I know it annoys people, but it annoys me when people don't sign their e-mails/posts.

Everyday I have to write an e-mail at work to someone asking who the hell they are. I get at least 20 e-mails a week at work where I can't figure out who the hell is writing to me.

So yeah, I know I don't have to sign my name... but never-the-less... I do.

- Livonya

Durwyn

Prophet
Black said:
Dunno how it is with polish VO for Kaelyn, played only english dubbed MoTB, but every time heard her voice i wanted to have cybersecks with this horny celestial chick. She's not the most deep or best written character, but still for unknown reasons one of my favorite npc in all cRPGs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom