Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Doing deals with arms dealers in Alpha Protocol

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

<a href="http://www.gjob.co.uk/blog/?p=112">Games Journalism Or Bust! had a peek at Alpha Protocol in Leipzig</a>. Here's the interesting bit:
<br>
<blockquote>Now the tux may sound like nothing more than an aesthetic change for role-playing purists, but this is what excites me the most. The ability to immerse yourself in the role of a spy, something other espionage-based games rarely allow you to do. This couple with the fully-fledged RPG storyline and dialogue system will elevate the narrative and experience of Alpha Protocol well above the likes of Splinter Cell and Quantum Of Solace because it will involve more than simply pursuing objectives, going to point A, hacking computer B, taking out target C.
<br>
<br>
This was demonstrated via a mission to capture an arms dealer. Rolling up to the front gate of the scumbag’s fortress, the hero is approached by a guard, triggering a dialogue tree from which players can choose to reason with the guard, allowing them entry, or take him out, meaning you have potentially one less enemy to deal with later. Upon entry to the fort, players can either sneak into the arms dealer’s office, attempt to hack the security systems or take out his personal guard head on. At any point, they will be able to adapt their strategy and choose another path and the level, which seemed fairly large, was thankfully free of any obvious linearity. So if it’s a stealth game you’re after, Alpha Protocol will suit you fine; if you want an all-out action shooter, the game will still do the job.
<br>
<br>
Reaching the arms dealer presents you with another choice and another dialogue tree as he pleads for his life. This time, however, players only have a few seconds to make their decision, recreating the split-second tension that on-screen spys must surely feel in similar moments. Killing him may upset your superiors, while arresting him may not prove to progress the story. Better yet, leaving him alive will mean he owes you a favour and will supply you with arms throughout the rest of the game.</blockquote>
<br>
There's <a href="http://www.gjob.co.uk/blog/?p=112">another three paragraphs over there as well</a> if you want to read them.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RGPWatch</a>

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
SimpleComplexity said:
Who wants to bet some bottle caps that hacking the computer will be a minigame?
Wasn't that confirmed already?

To me, that's just fine as long as it's something like System Shock 2.

Pastel

Scholar
So you're not really a spy, more like a one-man special forces team. Wouldn't it make more sense to lure him away, or something?
Also, why would he owe you after breaking into his house and killing his guards? Wouldn't it make a hella lot more sense for him to do everything in his power to kill you, while strengthening his guard in the meantime? I mean people in real life aren't usually indebted to you just because you don't kill them.

DraQ

Arcane
Trash said:
This game sounds better and better all the time.

alpha-protocol-20080403033118529.jpg
Zee goggles...!!!

*stopping the decline*

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Night vision in a fully lighted environment , great idea ! The enemy AI sucks even in the screenshots.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obsidian's been such a mixed bag, I really don't know what to expect from this.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xor said:
Obsidian's been such a mixed bag, I really don't know what to expect from this.

Hey guys I don't know what to expect from the console shooter about a cool guy with an infinite ammo!

Pastel

Scholar
Hey guys I know exactly what to expect from the NWN2 expansion about a guy who is at epic levels and fights evil spirits.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
skyway said:
Hey guys I don't know what to expect from the console shooter about a cool guy with an infinite ammo!

Pastel said:
Hey guys I know exactly what to expect from the NWN2 expansion about a guy who is at epic levels and fights evil spirits.

My point.

Micmu

Magister
IMHO, this alpha thing seems like the most shitty part of that mix so far. I just hope it won't be seen as such shit by the mainstream "media" and kids, so obsidian can stay well long enough to make more good games.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
If it's going to be a good stealth game with truly diffrent approaches on how to do missions, It'll be enough for me.

If it's going to be like Deus Ex ONE. It'll be enough for me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So naive.
Right now if anything it looks more like an inferior version of Mass Effect (and I thought it was not possible)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom