Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Cyclopean announced

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Cyclopean; Iron Tower

I always wanted to play a cRPG set in the Lovecraftian mythos. It turns out I might have the chance to do so - Iron Tower Studios have announced forming a second development team ("Team Omega") and beginning the design phase of their new game, titled "Cyclopean". To quote Scott, the lead designer (who also worked on the <a href="http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hamms/portfolio/3dmodels/gameenv.html">Keep on the Borderlands</a> ToEE mod):<blockquote>The player starts out in Lovecraft&#8217;s most famous fictional town, Arkham. Over the course of the game the player will travel to several other locations in and under the State of Massachusetts, and come in contact with cultists, law enforcement, hapless citizens, shadowy organizations, criminals, otherworldly creatures, and if he&#8217;s lucky, horrors beyond imagining. The game will concentrate on dense, quality writing in Lovecraft&#8217;s style, thrilling dialogue, and stimulating turn-based combat versus people and other things. Emphasis will be placed on quests with many possible solutions and outcomes. Players will not be restricted to fighting evil, but may ally themselves with those who wish to bring back the Great Old Ones, as well as various other organizations. Details to follow. The player will be able to pick up autonomous NPC support, a la Fallout, during the game. Influence over ally&#8217;s basic AI will be available, but equipment changes will be limited.
<br>
<br>
A concern already raised is that Lovecraft&#8217;s canon does not suit itself to a computer game. I think the locations, creatures and atmosphere established by Lovecraft are entirely adaptable, not just as a colourful background to the same tired old RPG themes, but as an entire game experience. Any established body of work translated to a computer game, or any other form of media, will have to be bent somewhat to accommodate its new form. It is my belief that a more faithful translation of Lovecraft&#8217;s world can be implemented as a fun and worthwhile CRPG.
<br>
<br>
Finally, here are a few things which will not be in Cyclopean: immortal and chatty NPC&#8217;s with abandonment issues, elves, giant rats, sewers, black and red hellscapes, and Monty Python references.</blockquote>Sounds perfect. Also, we learn from the <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=485.0">FAQ</a> that the game will be isometric and turn-based. Hell, judging from the examples of writing the game would probably be fantastic as a text-only IF title. Just check out <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=482.0">these</a> <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=483.0">two</a> (the previous words are two different links) suberb writing samples. To conclude this newspost, let me just quote a line from the second one, which I'd wager at least semi-accurately describes the lead designer of the game:<blockquote>I <i>was</i> a Professor of Mathematics. But soon, I will be so much more.</blockquote>Best luck to the project!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Lumpy</b>!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
and if he’s lucky, horrors beyond imagining.
What good fortune. :)

Sounds like it might be pretty cool, as long as it stays true to Lovecraft's own version of the Mythos. None of that dumb Good vs. Evil war and mighty god stuff made up by other authors like that fucker Derleth who've fooled around with the mythos.

And no cases of punching out Cthulhu. :D

Nedrah

Erudite
In before bought by EA and switched to epic RT combat .

Seriously, sounds good, looks like Irontower is growing up just nicely.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Most likely, if AoD engine satisfies Cyclopean needs, we will gladly share it with Team Omega. That's much more than just TGE. That's years of coding for isomeric, 3D, turn-based RPG. Think of the effect on their development process.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Oh I have quite a good idea about the developmental difference :) Hence I would much rather see them use the (enhanced ?) AoD engine.

The development would go a hell of a lot faster, mostly because of all the HUMONGOUS RPG framework that is there, and also because they could start by reusing AoD graphics as temporary measure.

elander_

Arbiter
The AoD engine would be a very interesting engine to mod. Don't neglect this possibility.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
No screenshots = vaporware until proven otherwise. Hell, AoD looks finished from screenshots, and I'd guess it's at least a year away from release from VD's statements.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Isometric turn-based horror cRPG? Iron Tower is biting off more than they can chew LAWL!

But seriously, are traditional RPG elements like stats and turn-based combat really appropriate for the Mythos or any serious horror game? How will the IMRRSHN be handled? If it's meant to be conveyed primarily through text, it might as well be planned as an adventure game instead.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've no problem with it being turn-based and isometric. I don't think it would take away from the atmosphere and immershun a Lovecraft Mythos game would have. Fallout was isometric and turn-based but it got pretty damned atmospheric and a little creepy around the time you start investigating the Master's army, especially when you enter the lower levels of the cathedral.

That said, I personally would prefer a first-person perspective and gameplay similar to something like Bloodlines or Deus Ex though I've no problem with what they've chosen to go with.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I don't mind a couple cheap scares ala Resident Evil. The more important thing will be the atmosphere set up by the narrative and music/sound.

Anyways, great unexpected news. TB RPG trying something new? They have my 20 bucks.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
I don't believe a Lovecraftian RPG has ever been done. It's always been adventure or IF. There would always be instances where the hero would punch or wound an enemy to escape, but somehow I don't see anyone doing so much combat that they would level up. It seems like this might be called an RPG but if it was faithful to the Mythos it actually would wind up being an adventure game with stats.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Lumpy

Arcane
Psycroptic said:
I don't believe a Lovecraftian RPG has ever been done. It's always been adventure or IF. There would always be instances where the hero would punch or wound an enemy to escape, but somehow I don't see anyone doing so much combat that they would level up. It seems like this might be called an RPG but if it was faithful to the Mythos it actually would wind up being an adventure game with stats.

Not that that's a bad thing.
So adventure game with stats != an RPG but combat simulator with stats = RPG? What about AoD's non-combat paths then?
RPG = game where you play role. If the game allows you to develop your character in various ways, it's an RPG.

Jaime Lannister said:
No screenshots = vaporware until proven otherwise. Hell, AoD looks finished from screenshots, and I'd guess it's at least a year away from release from VD's statements.
Or we could simply say that the project is in pre-production with a possibility of getting cancelled and leave it at that.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
They're being too ambitious. Why not put the whole team that wants to do Cyclopean on AoD and then have the whole team do Cyclopean.

Two projects at once is for major studios, and Jeff Vogel.

Lumpy

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
They're being too ambitious. Why not put the whole team that wants to do Cyclopean on AoD and then have the whole team do Cyclopean.
If they needed more people for AoD they would've put up a job offering. Currently, the CP team has a lead designer and a graphic artist, neither of which AoD needs at this point.

Jaime Lannister said:
Why? It's not like Iron Tower got split - they're hiring a whole new team for this project. If they've got the money, why not? It's going to attract talented people easier than a whole new company would, and it will probably help boost the sales of both games if they both get released.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Jaime Lannister said:

AoD isn't exactly a production values intensive project. I'm sure multiple programmers and artists would just slow down the project due to the learning curve.

Or even more likely, Vince probably doesn't own this other project outright. He seems more like the publisher than developer.

Longshanks

Augur
Jaime Lannister said:

The AoD team will not be working on Cyclopean, and the "whole team" that wants to do Cyclopean are currently a lead designer and a graphic artist, it's only in pre-production:

Cyclopean FAQ said:
2. But you haven't even released AoD yet?
I know. It's a different game that will be developed by a different team, known as Team Omega. Scott is the lead writer/designer (you can see his writing here, it's beautiful). We are simply giving a hand and the entire fucking shoulder to a guy who is capable of making a cool RPG.

4. Who else is on the team? Is the AoD team involved?
At the moment, Scott and another gentleman, who shall remain unknown for now, will handle all the pre-production duties. You feedback is very important, so don't hesitate to share your opinions with us. Once the game is ready to hit the next stage, we will invite a few more people to join our ranks.

I will be working closely with Scott, but ultimately that's his project and all decisions are his. Needless to say, the AoD team will provide whatever help and advice Scott may need and lend their expertise and experience. After AoD is released, the AoD team will work on a different project.

Seboss

Liturgist
Holy crap! I'm so sold.
Despite the debatable Lovecraft's writing quality, I think it's a must have at least for descriptions and background text (quest log, diaries etc)...

Although I've never read Lovecraft, the project sounds really interesting. Wish you best luck, team Omega!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom