Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3: the Doctor is Out

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

IGN has another <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/906/906845p1.html">preview</a> of <b><a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html">Fallout 3</a></b> based on their recent playtime at PAX.
<br>
<blockquote>My wandering around the world let me discover the Jury Street Metro Station, so I was actually able to go underground and explore a raider-infested tunnel system that had plenty of goodies to discover. I encountered a Ryan Briggs, some kind of surgeon or medical researcher working on mole rats. He didn't like my presence and opened fire on me with his assault rifle. I shot his head off and claimed his rifle, as well as his blood-splattered scrubs that I donned myself. The scrubs don't offer much armor, but they do look nifty, and they give a +5 bonus with certain medical skills. I also got the key to his safe and raided his office for all sorts of medical supplies, blood packs, vodka, drugs, and ammo. However, I also left with this worrying thought that I might have killed someone might actually be very important later in the game. That's one of the dangers when you go off script!</blockquote>
<br>
It's nice to know that even medical researchers are hostile for no apparent reason. And they drop phat medical scrubs loot.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blue's News</A>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
baby arm said:
However, I also left with this worrying thought that I might have killed someone might actually be very important later in the game. That's one of the dangers when you go off script!

It really must be worrying that he killed the guy now, when it could be possible that he would need to kill him in the future! OH THE HORROR.

MisterStone

Arcane
Eh, it's not so bad.... didn't FOII have sunglasses that gave you a CH bonus? :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, but sunglasses are cool so they up your charisma.. just like real life.

Not surprising the medical researcher is hostile. FO is PA - it's a cruel, cruel world where even rats eat living humans who are still moving and not prone.

Fez

Erudite
MisterStone said:
Eh, it's not so bad.... didn't FOII have sunglasses that gave you a CH bonus? :)

It was stupid in FO2 and it's more stupid now. Why do people use such idiotic and poor excuses? Why do they think that a sequel should aim lower than the original? A sequel should be trying to improve upon the previous efforts, not copying or adding to the mistakes or stupidity or the worst aspects of the past.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The sunglasses giving charisma bonus wasn't stupid. I explained why already. :D

Skald

Novice
2363563114_e4d40d12a8.jpg

That's why it adds to charisma - you can't fucking tell what might be lurking underneath them.

Fez

Erudite
Volourn said:

Ah, excellent point. :lol:

the doctor attacking you for no reason is ridiculous, maybe they will fix it for release...although isnt the release date quite soon??

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Were the scrubs actually clean, then yeah I could see them providing a benefit when trying to heal, by reducing the risk of infection. This obviously isn't the case though and, in the example given, would actually increase the risk, given that they've already been used and are probably covered in all sorts of shit.

gc051360

Scholar
He may be important later in the game?

No. He attacked on sight. How were you to avoid killing him? Makes no sense.

Don't you see guys? Dirty scrubs are the only logical solution. What's more immersive than running into town with blood and guts all over while claiming to be a doctor?

comix.jpg

Grifman

Liturgist
baby arm said:
It's nice to know that even medical researchers are hostile for no apparent reason.

You're right, wandering uninvited into a doc's underground lab with a gun in a lawless PA world is certainly no reason for him to shoot . . .

And of course you're totally ignoring that the good doctor may have his own reasons for wanting to kill an intruder, friendly or not.

Sad how the hate clouds the mind :)

Grifman

Liturgist
Volourn said:

It is stupid, or do you see someone in sunglasses and think, "Oh,that's cool person!" :)

Grifman said:
Volourn said:

It is stupid, or do you see someone in sunglasses and think, "Oh,that's cool person!" :)
Depends on the glasses. If I see a cop in those "aviator glasses" he's much cooler than a random fag wearing some plastic shades.

Mareus

Magister
Grifman said:
Volourn said:

Well it worked for Arnold Schwarzenegger. :lol:

It's the same as the cigar in the mouth of Clint Eastwood. I mean you can't get cooler than this:

clint_eastwood-1.jpg

Dire Roach

Prophet
Grifman said:
The sunglasses would only give a small bonus, DUH! For example, if you wear an expensive pair of Oakleys (+1) with a plain-looking T-shirt and blue jeans (+0), you won't draw much attention to yourself at your local nerd hangout spot. However, if you wear those mirrorshades along with a leather trenchcoat (+2), a spike-studded leather wristband (+1), a dyed mohawk haircut (+1), white earbud headphones connected to an iPhone (+3), and a black T-shirt with some anime or internet meme-related shit on it (+1), then you will definitely get a second glance from that girl with the pretty hair who comes dressed in Sailor Moon cosplay every now and then.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Dire Roach said:
Grifman said:
The sunglasses would only give a small bonus, DUH! For example, if you wear an expensive pair of Oakleys (+1) with a plain-looking T-shirt and blue jeans (+0), you won't draw much attention to yourself at your local nerd hangout spot. However, if you wear those mirrorshades along with a leather trenchcoat (+2), a spike-studded leather wristband (+1), a dyed mohawk haircut (+1), white earbud headphones connected to an iPhone (+3), and a black T-shirt with some anime or internet meme-related shit on it (+1), then you will definitely get a second glance from that girl with the pretty hair who comes dressed in Sailor Moon cosplay every now and then.
+3 for iPhone and only +1 for the mohawk?

bezimek

Scholar
Carrie Underwood said:
Don't you see guys? Dirty scrubs are the only logical solution. What's more immersive than running into town with blood and guts all over while claiming to be a doctor?

comix.jpg

Nice :)

Dire Roach

Prophet
Unradscorpion said:
+3 for iPhone and only +1 for the mohawk?
You're right, I forgot to mention the mohawk grants a +4 charisma bonus if you are female. Piercings and tattoos grant huge bonuses too, but there's a chance you might get poisoned with hepatitis every time you get a new one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom