Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Divinity 2 preview at RPGWatch with SPOILARZ

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

Myrthos from RPGWatch has written a nice <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=95&ref=0&id=67">preview</a> of the upcoming sequel to Divine Divinity, based on his experience with the (presentation of the) game during the GC in Leipzig.<blockquote>One of the things you will be taught is the mystery of mindreading, which according to the words of Swen Vincke; “is a cool thing we have introduced in the game”. Every time you encounter a dialog in the game you have the option to read the mind of the person in front of you, which gives a new and unique twist to the quest you are doing. The mind reading is skill based as well, and you will get better at it when you assign more skill points to it.</blockquote>This could be a good feature if fleshed out properly. Hopefully, successful mind reading can open new dialogue options, for example. <blockquote><b>Swen “Lar” Vincke</b>: I will show you one of the quests and also show you how mindreading works. I am going to visit 2 guys. So these guys are having a bit of an argument. I will interrupt them and I will show you how the quest structure in Divinity 2 has been approached. These guys will start you off into a standard ‘fasten my shoelaces’ quest, where he asks me if I want to make extra money and I say; ok what’s the deal and he says well I am killing goblins and I give you money for every goblin heart that you bring me. Here I can accept the quest which will then bring me to a series of other quests, or I can refuse the quest and then I will enter another quest chain. This is what we tried to do with every single quest. The choices you make in Divinity 2 are much more immediate than before.
<br>
<br>
When you are in a dialog with someone you also have the option to do mindreading and the way we implemented it is really new. It is a special power of the dragon slayer and when I use it I learn that he is actually not going to pay me enough for the Goblin heart. I can get much more money if I’m going to negotiate with him when I come back with my hearts. Or I can go to the guy to whom he is selling those hearts and get more money from him. There is however also a downside to mindreading that I can’t talk about at the moment unfortunately.
<br>
Besides accepting and mindreading you can also refuse the quest. When I refuse the quest, the guy says: Ok, bugger off I’m going to do it myself and off he goes. Later on he will then be found in the woods surrounded by Goblins and you can pick up the quest with him again. If I had accepted I would have gotten a series of quests that were darker in nature, like there is a famine somewhere; there is some food to stop this famine and are you going to help him to steal the food and so on.</blockquote>I don't think it was a good advertisement of the mindreading opportunities (money? uninteresting), but the prospect of multiple branching quest chains is nice. There's more about quests later on in the preview, and also an example of a better use of mindreading:<blockquote>But there is also the choice to talk to Dana again and confront her with the contents of the letter, so that you can blackmail her - or you can read her mind. When you do that, you learn she thinks about a hidden key in the village belonging to her husband that she cannot find. The key can be found in the village if you look close enough. When you find it, it will open a cellar. In that cellar is a diary that belongs to Karl and in that diary he wrote he killed the former lover of Dana. You can go to the guards with the information who will then arrest Karl or you can go to Karl and blackmail him instead. Then again you can do none of that and just tell Karl about the letter and the affair, which will make him angry at Dana and throw her off the farm. She then runs off to Dirk and goes to live with him. Dirk is not so happy with the chain of events that I set in motion and I will find that when I want to buy some weapons from him the prices have become higher.</blockquote>Spoilers.
<br>
<br>
The preview makes the game seem quite interesting for me; hopefully they'll manage not to make playing as a dragon slayer (and later a dragon) too cheesy. Great news is that Kirill Pokrovsky will again be writing the music.
<br>
<br>
Read the whole thing <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com//show/article?articleid=95&ref=0&id=67">here</a>.
<br>
<br>
This is part one; the second part is to contain an interview with one of the devs.
<br>
<br>
<b>UPDATE:</b> the interview is up, go <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=96&ref=0&id=67">check it out</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</A>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
DD was a great game with a disappointing ending. DD2 however was a colossal pile of shit. I hope they learned from that debacle though. From the previews I've seen so far this looks to be set like a neat little Gothic lookalike.

Murk

Arcane
Kay that sounded awesome, and i didn't even know about this mind reading hoo-hah, that's even awesomer.

I'm almost ready to say "this game will rule ass"

Novice
Trash said:
DD was a great game with a disappointing ending. DD2 however was a colossal pile of shit. I hope they learned from that debacle though. From the previews I've seen so far this looks to be set like a neat little Gothic lookalike.

I think you mean BD not DD2.

Compare these quests' spoilers to spoilers for Fallout 3 quests (ex. Megaton). Already I can see quests in DD2 will easily surpass (not that it is that difficult) quests in F3. Of course it still remains to be seen whether DD2 is going to be playable. From all the information we got so far, however, it seems devs are on a good track. Fingers crossed.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Aie, that one. It was such a disappointment that I tried to forget all about it as soon as I uninstalled it. Especially the dullness and boredom of having to grind through those generic battlefields still make me shudder. Therefore I'm a bit cautious about this one. BD also sounded rather interesting with the whole good and bad side destined to each other thingie.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Trash said:
Especially the dullness and boredom of having to grind through those generic battlefields still make me shudder.

You never had to, they were useful to gain experience, money and equipment but you never had to do them. Some people chose to enter them to only access the merchants and have an easy time selling loot and maybe buying some and maybe a few do not even enter them.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Without the experience, money and loot the game does become quite a bit harder though. The controlls sucked ass as well and frankly, without the battlefields there really wasn't that much content. I loved DD, but loathed that uninspired piece of shit.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The branching quests sound extremely ambitious. Promising and interesting, but ambitious. I hope they can pull it off.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jabbapop said:
Needs more bloom.

kekeke is i poplar now?

Poplar?

Black%20poplar5.JPG

:D

But seriously, the game looks decent. Might be worth keeping an eye out for it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Trash said:

I'm currently going through div div now, what was wrong with BD?

Murk

Arcane
everything that actually relates to gameplay ;( and some very awkward decisions in terms of content

Saxon1974

Prophet
I have high hopes for this game.

I really like DD1 and I hope that converting the engine to 3D doesn't lose the charm and interactivity of the world.

I don't think I have seen a game that has transformed from a good 2D game into a good 3D game.

Also hope they cut down on the mass hack\click fest of combat, I tolerated that since the rest of the game was so good, but I think that is what kept it from being a great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom