Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Fallout 3 - again, again and again

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.eurogamer.net">Eurogamer</a> has put up another <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=216909">interview</a> with Bethesda's loud-mouth Pete Hines.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Eurogamer: Fallout 3's ravaged setting is hardly a departure for videogames. Is it a challenge to put a fresh spin on post-apocalyptic wastelands?
<br>
<br>
Pete Hines: It's a challenge in the sense that it has been done. We had to do something that was not only cool and good, but it had to be true to Fallout. If it was just Washington DC as it was two years ago and we were just blowing that up, that's actually substantially easier: You just look at everything and go, "Okay, blow all that up and then we're done." But this is a different world from the one we know, with a different timeline.
<br>
<br>
You have to ask, "What would have been in the Fallout universe? What would have existed before 1950, where this universe splits off from our own and goes in this different direction?" <b>So, creatively, you are spreading your wings a little bit and asking what DC would have looked like with the future that these people had envisioned rather than the one that we know.</b> What that does is make it both a little bit familiar and a bit quirky. A gas station looks like a big rocket, for example: you can do stuff that makes things both familiar and, "What the hell is that?" at the same time.</blockquote>
<br>
So here I am, creatively guessing that where Washington DC - and the Pentagon in particular - is today, there would be a hole the size of the Grand Canyon - plus the radioactivity.
<br>
<br>
He's also talking about how choices have to be recognizable as good or evil and tells us about how, now hold your breath, the dialogue system is old school:
<br>
<blockquote>Eurogamer: You've gone for a very traditional dialogue system. Did you consider trying something new?
<br>
<br>
Pete Hines: <b>It's old school</b>. After a certain point, when you're taking on a project of this magnitude, you've got to pick your battles, and you can't pick them all because you just end up trying to be everything and not being anything. Dialogue wasn't a battle we wanted to pick. It is a bit old-school, but it works well for what we're trying to do, and there were other things that were more important for us to spend time and energy on, like trying to incorporate VATS into a real world combat system and still incorporate the stats and not unbalance the game. That's a big undertaking, and spending time from a development standpoint on the actual dialogue and the camera angle it's being presented on - we just don't have unlimited monkeys and typewriters.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Old school, like, with words and stuff. But he's right, not even Bethesda can have unlimited monkeys on typewriters - the one that's vice president of PR is enough though.

denizsi

Arcane
So here I am, creatively guessing that where Washington DC - and the Pentagon in particular - is today, there would be a hole the size of the Grand Canyon - plus the radioactivity.

I've always thought that The Glow was a suitable candidate for those locales.

Old school, like, with words and stuff. But he's right, not even Bethesda can have unlimited monkeys on typewriters - the one that's vice president of PR is enough though

How fitting for them, considering one of the retarded Beth developers who recently criticized Blizzard because they're "still" using an "obsolete" camera view with D3. Where is my next-gen Mass-Effect derivative?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If it was just Washington DC as it was two years ago and we were just blowing that up, that's actually substantially easier: You just look at everything and go, "Okay, blow all that up and then we're done."

:facepalm:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
shihonage said:
If it was just Washington DC as it was two years ago and we were just blowing that up, that's actually substantially easier: You just look at everything and go, "Okay, blow all that up and then we're done."

:facepalm:

Someone should quote that on some Al-Qaeda forums to get Beth investigated by the FBI

Balathustrius

Scholar
It's nice that he told us straight that they didn't care about dialog, that it "wasn't a battle we wanted to pick." Maybe Oblivion at least taught them not to flat-out lie.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Actually, he just means they weren't ready to INNOVATE dialogue, not so much that they don't care.

In Fallout 5, they'll toss traditional Fallout dialogue presentation for a revolutionary system not ripped from a different game at all where you have three options represented by short phrases in a wheel.

St. Toxic

Arcane
They could always rip off Sam & Max: Hit the road.

"!" and "?" is probably the next-gen of future dialogue options.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Prince of Lies said:
It is a bit old-school, but it works well for what we're trying to do, and there were other things that were more important for us to spend time and energy on, like trying to incorporate VATS into a real world combat system

Prince of Lies said:
and there were other things that were more important for us to spend time and energy on, like trying to incorporate VATS into a real world combat system

So, What Petey boy is saying is that VATS, a mere gimmick, was more important to Bethesda than the entirety of the game's dialog? And that said lack of attention caused them to turn out "a bit old school"? Compared to what, Oblivion and it's 'next-gen' shit wheel?

To think I was beginning to feel that FO3 just might be worth pirating a year later if only for the mods....

Mareus

Magister
todddd.jpg

Twinfalls

Erudite
Jeff Graw said:
To think I was beginning to feel that FO3 just might be worth pirating a year later if only for the mods....

It's the utterly worthless morons who come to this site and make statements like this one, not just blithely but actually thinking it makes them a cool kid - that's your decline, right there.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Will they have custom mods or are you talking about the Bethesda sanitized mods>
I haven't been over to the official boards in over a year but they (Bethesda) have stressed there will be no Fallout 3 CS for the PC version although they will leave the door open for Xbox and PC DLC exclusively from them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Twinfalls said:
Jeff Graw said:

It's the utterly worthless morons who come to this site and make statements like this one, not just blithely but actually thinking it makes them a cool kid - that's your decline, right there.
Please, post more often. It really makes a difference.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Jeff Graw said:

It's the utterly worthless morons who come to this site and make statements like this one, not just blithely but actually thinking it makes them a cool kid - that's your decline, right there :roll:

All of the super crazed anti-pirates stirring up shit are taking away potential for good discussion. Good discussion is replaced in the metaphysical inventory with stupid piracy vs anti-piracy crap. You wouldn't swap your beat up Pinto with a Corvette would you? So why would you do it to discussion....unless you're dirty THIEVES!

St. Toxic

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
Twinfalls said:
Jeff Graw said:

It's the utterly worthless morons who come to this site and make statements like this one, not just blithely but actually thinking it makes them a cool kid - that's your decline, right there :roll:

It's the utterly worthless... ah fuck it. You are and have always been a bunch of faggets; all of you. The decline is all part of your realization of this fact.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think it would have been a lot better if they used areas around D.C. and not D.C. itself. If you play Fallout, you'll notice the decided lack of large cities for towns. There's the L.A. Boneyards, but that's part of a suburb on the outskirts of L.A., not downtown or anything like that. There really shouldn't be much left of D.C. at all, not just the Pentagon leveled.

Bradylama

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:

NO IT'S YOU! YOUR THE GAY!

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Saint_Proverbius said:
I think it would have been a lot better if they used areas around D.C. and not D.C. itself. If you play Fallout, you'll notice the decided lack of large cities for towns. There's the L.A. Boneyards, but that's part of a suburb on the outskirts of L.A., not downtown or anything like that. There really shouldn't be much left of D.C. at all, not just the Pentagon leveled.

Exactly. The entire Beltway would be a big, black radioactive glass bowl. But these are the same people who think it makes sense to launch nukes from a catapult.

Actually all of this stuff really wouldn't matter if the game itself was fun, but I don't think these guys can make a game I would consider fun. Crushing boredom awaits those who brave the unmodded version.

xuerebx

Erudite
Awesome can't wait for this game. Would go on the NMA forums for more information but they're nearly all non conformist elitist nerds to be honest. 'Tleast I'm just a nerd :P

Not much games to wait for anyway this year. This one, The Witcher Enhanced Edition, and hopefully Dragon Age will be out next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom