Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 Censorship Report

El Dee

Scholar
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

To keep up with our daily quota of Fallout 3 news IGN has a <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/898/898387p1.html">scan</a> of the Australian OFLC report:
<br>
<blockquote>The drugs depicted are fictional; drugs are depicted as stylised icons on a menu with the drug use itself not depicted. Whilst navigating a post-apocalyptic futuristic landscape, players can invoke the use of a variety of "chems" listed by fictitious names which include "Buff", "Rad-X", "Psycho" and "Ultrajet". Within the context of the game's narrative, the player may choose to make use of these "chems" to alter the physiological characteristics of their character in the game.</blockquote>
<br>
Apparently, drugs are still in but some have been relabeled, which means that the censorship of Fallout 3 in Australia is going to be lighter than what most at first thought.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
potion of agility
potion of bull strength
potion of vitality

come on. this is too easy.

Higher Game

Arcane
I suspect the Bethesda fools probably used real drug names, which could encourage abuse. I'm positive that every one of the original Fallout drugs were given post-apoc names (Buffout, Mentats, Jet, etc).

Shoelip

Arbiter
Higher Game said:
I suspect the Bethesda fools probably used real drug names, which could encourage abuse. I'm positive that every one of the original Fallout drugs were given post-apoc names (Buffout, Mentats, Jet, etc).

That seems very very unlikely. About the only thing in Oblivion that was true to the elder scrolls series was the names of things. What possible reason could Bethesda have for changing the names of drugs in Fallout 3 to something that would obviously get them in trouble?

Longshanks

Augur
Apparently there was a morphine reference in relation to stimpacks.
The other sticking point was the depiction of real-world delivery methods in the icons.

Reading the initial decision, the necessary changes were always going to be small. The OFLC did not have a problem with drug use, as long as they were fictional.

Texas Red

Whiner
- Hello.
- Can you heal me of addiction.
- That will be 25 gold.
- Here.
- You are cured.

Micmu

Magister
Shoelip said:
About the only thing in Oblivion that was true to the elder scrolls series was the names of things.
I beg to differ. They changed most spell names from those "mystical" names like Alma's Soothing Hand (I approximated, can't remember correctly) to more "accessible" names like Minor Healing, Medium Healing, Fireball!1, etc.

Also, place names were named quite silly, too. Blue Cave, Green Forest, Yellow Road, etc..., while in previous games they mostly had nice made up fantasy names. Same goes for NPC names.

Shoelip

Arbiter
micmu said:
Shoelip said:
About the only thing in Oblivion that was true to the elder scrolls series was the names of things.
I beg to differ. They changed most spell names from those "mystical" names like Alma's Soothing Hand (I approximated, can't remember correctly) to more "accessible" names like Minor Healing, Medium Healing, Fireball!1, etc.

Also, place names were named quite silly, too. Blue Cave, Green Forest, Yellow Road, etc..., while in previous games they mostly had nice made up fantasy names. Same goes for NPC names.

Still, The provinces all had their same names, what passed for the kind of worms was still called the King of Worms. Uriel Septim VII was stil calledl Uriel Septim... Though I can't remember if his number was mentioned. What passed for the Daedra were still called Daedra, and still had their same names. Oblivion was still called Oblivion. What passed for the nine divines were still called the nine divines and still had their old names. All the major names were the same....

So I guess I see your point...

Fallout 3

fallout-3-4.jpg

Fallout 3: Australia Edition

Mixed%20Flowers%20and%20a%20Bear.jpg

Balathustrius

Scholar
Wtf is with the white jawbone in that screenshot? His head explodes and a clean, polished mandible comes flying out?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's the hilarious trademark Fallout humor, which is what made the games so good. I am so happy Bethesda are "getting" it.

Hahahah, a mandible! Hilarious!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom