Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info New Diablo III art director soon

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

The old one, Brian Morrisroe, decided to start his own company. They already have a new guy, so don't send your CVs. Here's an indirect <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkElEuEFlulFoaZheS.php">quote</a> from Jay Wilson, the lead designer:
<br>
<blockquote>(...) Brian is more the person who drove the art style into where it is. But it didn&#8217;t really come directly from him. What he brought to the art team was concepts and ideas &#8212; the idea of contrast, the idea of using color more, the idea of going for a more stylized look. Because what we were looking at before was more photo-realistic. Really trying to get something that looks like a painting &#8212; that was his goal. But the actual result of that came from the art team. And a lot of the environment guys, and some of the texture artists, they&#8217;ve all kind of chipped in to try and get the feel of something that was very unique.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Does this mean a change concerning the game's art direction? Will we have a bright'n'beautiful version for the optimistic Americans, a muted and gritty option for the down to earth Europeans, and of course the anime paradise dungeon for the kinky Japanese? Future will tell.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>LCJr</b>!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Brother None's Beauty Farm</A>

Fez

Erudite
So they are blaming the guy leaving for the art direction? Clever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So the guy who brought that WC3 gayness into Blizzard games left?
I can't see anything bad about that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
As first revealed through a job listing posted to the developer's Web site, Blizzard has confirmed that it will be parting ways with current Diablo III art director Brian Morrisroe. However, though the Irvine, California-based developer is searching for a new art director for Diablo III, Blizzard has no intention of changing the current controversial visual aesthetic.

Yeah. I am -sure- it was because of that petition, and I'm totally positive they'll change the art-style and have no more "WC3 gayness" because there couldn't be any other reasons for the guy leaving.

Dark Matter

Prophet
They're not "blaming" anyone for anything. They acknowledged that they support the direction he took with the art style and that they plan on keeping it that way.

From Gamespot:
"Regarding Brian, he recently resigned to form a startup technology company (outside the game industry), which is why we've posted about the open position," a Blizzard representative told Shacknews. "This change won't impact the game...we're really pleased with the look and feel that Brian helped create for Diablo III, and the new person we bring on board will work with the other artists on the team to maintain the art style moving forward."

miles foreman

Scholar
Elwro cut out the interesting part in that quote:

Jay Wilson said:
If you want to blame anyone for the rainbows, you’d blame our art director Brian [Morrisroe]. Because Brian is more the person who drove the art style into where it is. But it didn’t really come directly from him. What he brought to the art team was concepts and ideas — the idea of contrast, the idea of using color more, the idea of going for a more stylized look. Because what we were looking at before was more photo-realistic. Really trying to get something that looks like a painting — that was his goal. But the actual result of that came from the art team. And a lot of the environment guys, and some of the texture artists, they’ve all kind of chipped in to try and get the feel of something that was very unique.
MTV News

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, sorry. I'm not sure why I did this. Perhaps because there were no rainbows in the post and since I've been out of touch with the RPGaming world for the last couple of months I have no idea what rainbows he's referring to.

Fez

Erudite
Behead those who put rainbows into Diablo.

Thrasher

Erudite
No cartoony demons. WOW art style should be left for the kiddies.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Despite what Blizzard says you know the little emo freaks are going bug eyed with glee from thinking they got the guy axed, and sending in their awful photoshoped screenshots as a resume to get the job.

Pegultagol

Erudite
StarCraft as originally planned; did someone say WarCraft II in space

There is still hope yet for a turnaround on Diablo III, have faith, blizztards!

Raapys

Arcane
Yep, looks like we're still stuck with the crappy look.

Next time we'll screw the petition and go for terrorist threats!

miles foreman

Scholar
The whiners who whine about the whiners never can quite see the irony... mote in your eye vs. the plank in mine or something like that.

While I can't really get rally behind either camp arguing over the D3 art direction (because I don't care), I can understand the side that wants the game to look more like Diablo 1&2 and less like World of Warcraft.

On the other hand, these people SHOULD THANK THEIR LUCKY FUCKING STARS that that's all Blizzard is changing. They could have gotten a piece of shit "sequel" like Fallout 3 instead.

More than likely these folks will be able to come in later and mod the textures to get the colors more to their liking. No amount of modding is going to change the gameplay in Fallout 3.

Thrasher

Erudite
Why? If it's still a repetitive boring speed hotkey clickfest? At least it could look good.

Athiska

Novice
Somehow I doubt anyone frequenting the Codex can settle with "at least" good gameplay (related to "shut up and enjoy the graphics"). Why should we settle with the blood when others are hiding the virgin?

miles foreman

Scholar
Thrasher said:
Why? If it's still a repetitive boring speed hotkey clickfest? At least it could look good.
To you it is. To others, more of the same which is what they want and have been waiting for. A Diablo sequel is obviously not going to be designed for someone like you, but for someone who wants to play a "repetitive boring speed hotkey clickfest."

Inziladun

Magister
I still find it hilarious how Blizzard can just blatantly ignore their player base. But after such a cash-cow that is WoW, who could blame them for giving their fans the proverbial middle finger in favor of doing whatever the hell they feel like.

Lurkar

Scholar
I'd say a trip to the WoW forums are all you need to understand precisely why Blizzard NEEDS to ignore their "fanbase."

Thrasher

Erudite
lol!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom