Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Time Magazine Rates ToEE in Top Ten Games of 2003

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

One of the most well established and most read magazines in the world, TIME Magazine, has rated <a href="http://www.greyhawkgame.com">Temple of Elemental Evil</a> as one of the top ten games of this year at number 6 in the November 17th issue.
<br>
<Blockquote>
<br>
<b>A vintage adventure game gets its computerized revival -- no dice necessary</b>
<br>
<br>
Remember Dungeons & Dragons, that game for anyone who was too smart for his own good in high school and didn't have a date on Friday night? Time was, you needed a pencil, books of character information, a sturdy imagination, similarly afflicted friends, and the ever-present 20-sided dice to play the game.
<br>
<br>
Not anymore. Temple of Elemental Evil (PC, $45, Atari) is a computerized homage to one of the best-loved adventure games of all time, enhanced with up-to-date graphics. As with the original, loading up your character (and up to four fellow adventurers) with your choice of spells and skills is almost as fun as the action itself. Your goal for the game depends on these choices: make yourself morally good, and you must rescue a missing elf princess from the eponymous temple; choose the path of the evildoers, and you may end up taking over the place. If Dungeons & Dragons had been this much fun, the geeks would have had a lot more dates.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Hawkstrike, who posted the news on the <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331144">Atari Forum</a> also notes that Neverwinter Nights never received the same recognition last year. Now this is what I call a high acclaim review.
<br>
<br>
TIME Magazine > online review sites.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, just because they like the same game you do. It's just another top ten list. It means really nothing. Not too many people who read Time are really into games that much anyways I bet if we look at their demographics.

triCritical

Erudite
Exitium said:
Hawkstrike, who posted the news on the <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331144">Atari Forum</a> also notes that Neverwinter Nights never received the same recognition last year. Now this is what I call a high acclaim review.

TIME Magazine > online review sites.

Maybe because NWN sucked.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, it is... until you look at some of the other "Top 10 Games of 2003" that have been listed by Time. :roll:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Seven9 said:
This is still a great honor for Troika.

While it definitely put Troika into a bigger spotlight than it was in, I don't think it was a 'great honor' as you say. I really hate Time magazine and what their corporate offices stand for. I have seen the shit they pull behind people's backs. They are slime, scum, shit, etc. And I don't care who this pisses off. Time magazine can suck my hairy nuts.

Whew.... I feel better now.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Hey, I like Time overall. Be nice.

Time Magazine is against any form of religion that doesn't follow catholicism. They have proven this point time and time again with some of the tripe they publish within their pages. They are also totally for anything doing with government, good or bad, and suck up to whomever seems to be the big shaker at the time. I'm surprised they even have a top ten video game list considering that the company itself invests money into these "against video game violence" campaigns. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they are quite two faced. You can like them all you want. Everyone has a right to their own likes and dislikes. I really really hate them though and what they stand for as a company. I can get my info from another source without wondering what's between the lines, thank you. Maybe I should have worded it better, and I apologize for not doing so, but everytime I see the name, my eyes flash red and I tend to go off. Hell, this is the same magazine that claimed Hitler to be The Man Of The Year back in the 40's. Yeah.... right.

Seven

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Seven9 said:
This is still a great honor for Troika.

While it definitely put Troika into a bigger spotlight than it was in, I don't think it was a 'great honor' as you say. I really hate Time magazine and what their corporate offices stand for. I have seen the shit they pull behind people's backs. They are slime, scum, shit, etc. And I don't care who this pisses off. Time magazine can suck my hairy nuts.

Whew.... I feel better now.

Yes, I'm sure that the people from Time are reading this now, and that they are on their way to get YOU!!!

triCritical

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Hell, this is the same magazine that claimed Hitler to be The Man Of The Year back in the 40's. Yeah.... right.

And why wouldn't he be. He masterminded a superve blitzkrieg that humiliated the French and humbled the brittish. He Destroyed the Polish Cavalry, who saved Eurpope from the Turks two and half centuries earlier. And he was smacking the Soviet's who had just got their ass kicked against the Fin's.

Isn't The Time's liberal? Kinda of surprising that they would swing behind such a right winged regime???

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
triCritical said:
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Hell, this is the same magazine that claimed Hitler to be The Man Of The Year back in the 40's. Yeah.... right.

And why wouldn't he be. He masterminded a superve blitzkrieg that humiliated the French and humbled the brittish. He Destroyed the Polish Cavalry, who saved Eurpope from the Turks two and half centuries earlier. And he was smacking the Soviet's who had just got their ass kicked against the Fin's.

Isn't The Time's liberal? Kinda of surprising that they would swing behind such a right winged regime???

Yes. Just what americans needed during WW2. One of their own publications praising Hitler. :roll: Okay, so he was a brilliant tactician. That's not the point. He was also a mass murderer and very very unstable. Megolamania does not make one a man of the year.

Seven9 said:
Yes, I'm sure that the people from Time are reading this now, and that they are on their way to get YOU!!!

Thanks for the heads up. My ninjas have been put on alert status. ;)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It couldn't hurt ToEE sales, I doubt many people, when reading this article, would think 'Yeah, but Time endorsed Hitler!'

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Some people were complaining that they didn't make OSAMA the man of the year of 2001 but nobody's even sure that he was the one who masterminded the attacks, so that'd be really dumb to give him credit for everything. Besides, blowing up a building does not make one man of the year. On the other hand, Hitler's accomplishments were great, and varied.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Time Magazine is against any form of religion that doesn't follow catholicism.

Otaku's right. All Catholics have been playing ToEE since the protestants claim its satanic.

And about the Hitler thing, Time's Man of the Year is about the most media influencial man of the year. They also gave the award to him in 38, before America was at war with Germany. Same with Stalin. He got it in 42, pre-cold war era.

I consider the Time's to be liberal, or at least more liberal than, say, the Economist, and I really haven't read anything in it that would suggest that it's any less credible than Newsweek. Actually, I'm looking at both right now.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
"On the other hand, Hitler's accomplishments were great, and varied."

Oh, yes, Hitler's great deeds. Lets see.....

Dredging the world into the worst armed conflict ever, spanning a great deal of the globe, destroying countless countries and millions of live?

Building an industry of death that was based on slave work?

Ruling his Reich through fear, oppression and indoctrination?

Wiping out, amongst others, jews, gypsies, homosexuals, mentally and physically handicapt people?

Having his own wehrmacht fight battles that would wipe them out and refuse to give orders that could save them? Stalingrad, the ardennes offensive, kursk........

Blowing his retarded drugged up brain out of his skull with a cyanide capsule and having his corpse burned down?

Do you even have the slightest notion how stupid, ignorant and insulting that damn remark was? Come to europe, visit Auschwits, listen to elderly people whom can tell you of the horrors in those days, see the countless war graveyards strewn through our lands and all those other monuments of Hitlers great deeds. And then say that again.

Trash[/quote]

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Time Magazine's Man of the Year isn't an endorsement, it's merely the one man who they think influenced the world the most during that year. It's hard to argue that Hitler didn't fit that definition, considering he did pull the entire world in to a near global conflict. They didn't say, Dude, Hilter iz da bomb!!!, they just said he had the largest impact on the world.. twice.

Hell, it'd be hard to argue that Hilter wasn't the damned MAN OF THE CENTURY under those guidelines.

triCritical

Erudite
Sammael said:
Time Magazine is in league with CNN, which means that they are not to be trusted.

The same can be said about all media. You live in Yugoslavia region, don't you? Hell I have been bombarded with media coverage from that area for 15 years now, and I don't have the slightest clue was is going. The media just reports a particular slant on a particular issue, truth never enters the equation.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Otaku_Hanzo said:
[Time Magazine is against any form of religion that doesn't follow catholicism. .
Hey, it would sell great in Poland. Until people would hear about this MoTY award given to Hitler.
I live in a city a part of which was a ghetto during WW2. Thousands of people were killed here (Schindler saved some of them iirc; but a lot more were saved by rather unknown people); many more were taken to Auschwitz-Birkenau, which is just 60 km from here. According to the Jews, SS killed 2.000.000 people in Auschwitz; according to the tour guide, they killed at least 800.000. Just visiting such a place changes you for the rest of your life.
So it's good what you say, SP, that the MoTY award is not a sign of approval. But wasn't the world more influenced by von Neumann and his ENIAC?

And I also think that the offensive in Ardennes wasn't devised by a strategic genius.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I watched the movie Big Red One when I was just a teenager. I don't remember much of it, but there is one scene that has stuck with me my entire life.

They are in a concentration camp, and Mark Hamill's character opens up a furnace door to find a nazi hiding inside amidst the piles of ashes and bones from the Jews who got burned in there. Mark loses it and immediately begins firing round after round into the nazi until his clip is empty. He continues dry firing, just staring in horror at the interior of the furnace. The commander walks up to him, looks into the furnace, passes him another clip, and walks off after patting him on the shoulder once.

Everytime I killed a nazi in Return To Castle Wolfenstein, I remembered that scene.

Even though Hitler had a huge effect on the world, he was still a madman and a racist murderer. Saying he was MoTY is like saying "Hey, kill some jews and we'll reward you for it too!" :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom