Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underdark movies at NWVault

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

<A href="http://nwvault.ign.com/">NWVault</a> has a few movies up of the <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a> expansion pack, <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark">Hordes of the Underdark</a> - including <a href="http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/movies/data/1068327146370.shtml">footage of a Gelatinous Cube</a> and <a href="http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/movies/data/1068326831870.shtml">footage of the Dragon Disciple</a>. Both movies are <b>150MB</b>, and were taken from a Korean D&D conference where the game was presented. Smaller ones are also available if you just check out their front page and scroll down.
<br>
<br>
I've always liked slimes in D&D. They're scary things.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
A Gelatinous Cube.... after ToEE also presented us with the same monster... hmmm. Must use deductive powers to see where this is coming from.... :roll:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
A Gelatinous Cube.... after ToEE also presented us with the same monster... hmmm. Must use deductive powers to see where this is coming from.... :roll:

Yes, but TOEE wasn't the first to use the gelatinous cube. They are in BG:DA as well. ;)

Voss

Erudite
Unless someone can site a source that inspired them, I think we just have to accept they're from D&D. It isn't remarkable to pull a monster thats been in the Monster Manual for 20+ years... it doesn't have be inspired by a recent (or even old) computer game at all.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Voss said:
Unless someone can site a source that inspired them, I think we just have to accept they're from D&D. It isn't remarkable to pull a monster thats been in the Monster Manual for 20+ years... it doesn't have be inspired by a recent (or even old) computer game at all.

And then there is the fact that the original TOEE module had gelatinous cubes in it. Also, the gelatinous cube is listed as one of the many creatures that inhabits the labyrinthine Underdark in the campaign setting itself.

Rosh said:
What's all this about Chuck Cuevas?

LOL :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Did anyone watch the movie? It looks like there's a scripted bit where the cube eats a person, then another part where a player is fighting it.. And it basically attacks like the ToEE one. Kinda odd that it doesn't advance on the player like it does in the scripted bit.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Sammael said:
The cube has two types of attacks.

This is true, but it is also true that developers take alot more liberties these days with scripted events than they used to in showing off. I've seen scripted events where they would have the enemy roll dodge to the side to avoid a shot, or shoot around a corner, only to have the same enemy within the game proper not even once do those sorts of thing. It would be nice if they had both of the cubes attacks in the game, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I'm not stating the Gelatinous Cube is a straight ripoff, in terms of ideas, from ToEE (mainly because its a D&D monster, which both games take their bestiary from). What surprises me is, why *now*? I mean, was there any impediment? Why is it being done now, was there any problem doing it earlier?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
I'm not stating the Gelatinous Cube is a straight ripoff, in terms of ideas, from ToEE (mainly because its a D&D monster, which both games take their bestiary from). What surprises me is, why *now*? I mean, was there any impediment? Why is it being done now, was there any problem doing it earlier?

With TOEE, it's like I stated earlier. The monster was in the module and Troika did a damn good job of including every monster from the module and then some. It would seem to me that it's all about setting. The gelatinous cube is not the most common of monsters in the DnD world, and then only indigineous to dungeon/cave areas. Alot of the DnD based CRPGs up until this point have had dungeons with a 'theme', i.e. - manmade hideouts, or castles, etc. Nothing truly natural. There have been some, yes, but not alot. It would therefore by my hypothesis that the cube has not seen much use due to that fact. They are a creature born of 'nature' and therefore would not be seen roaming around in some bandits hideout or castle halls, unless both of them had been abandoned for quite some time. Now that we are seeing alot more instances of natural 'dungeons', alot of creatures we've not seen in the past might start rearing their ugly heads.

The cubes in TOEE were placed there, by the way. That's why they are present.

Voss

Erudite
Role-Player said:

Its the fall fashion season, and cubes are *in* this year. Forget your basic slime or jelly...if it doesn't have right angles, it can't show its face it public. Add the 'taste of the moment' glistening effect and you've got a critter that can glam and glitz with the biggest queens in the world.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Voss said:
Its the fall fashion season, and cubes are *in* this year. Forget your basic slime or jelly...if it doesn't have right angles, it can't show its face it public. Add the 'taste of the moment' glistening effect and you've got a critter that can glam and glitz with the biggest queens in the world.

LOL... that too. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom