Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Leon on Diablo 3: It is a risk...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III

<a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/893/893781p1.html">IGN have an interview with Leonard Boyarsky about Diablo 3 and his role as Lead World Designer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>IGN: What do you do as the lead world designer, and what have you worked on in the past in that respect?</b>
<br>
<br>
Leonard Boyarsky: As lead world designer I'm responsible for the lore of the game, the history, the story. I work with a quest designer named Michael Chu, who's had a lot of experience in the RPG industry. We make sure that through the quests the story's being conveyed to the player. We also work very closely with the art department to make sure - y'know, they'll come to us and say to us 'what's going on with this civilisation or that civilisation, what's the history?' Because there's a lot of ruins and building up on cities that have been around for a long time. So, building a world – the way we're building this world – from the ground up and with a lot of history, really informs the art. And it's a back and forth thing too, the artists will sometimes come up with really cool concepts and we'll work that back into the lore. So that's basically what we do there.
<br>
<br>
<b>IGN: How much choice do you have as a player to shape your character's persona? Dialogue trees or anything like that?</b>
<br>
<br>
Leonard Boyarsky: There won't be any dialogue trees per se, but we're working on ways of your player affecting things. That's all I'll really say about that right now. We do want your player to feel like he's driving the story, and we looked at it more like a character that you can watch develop and identify with, as if, a bit more like a book you're reading or a movie you're watching, you know, a character you can identify with and be fired up to be that character, be excited to be that character. And it remains to be seen whether people get behind that or not. It is a risk…</blockquote>
<br>
A risk that'll hopefully pay off.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Stainless</b>!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm... I'd sure love to have at least some C&C in a H&S game. But I don't know if it would really fit.

Well, let's just hope that it won't seem artificially placed on the game.

Kraszu

Prophet
thesheeep said:
Hmmm... I'd sure love to have at least some C&C in a H&S game. But I don't know if it would really fit.

Well, let's just hope that it won't seem artificially placed on the game.

You could do quest in diferent ways, one solution would block the other. Maybe class specific side quest, as for end quest maybe giving something that end boss drop to x or y or going to portal a or b.

hpmons

Novice
Kraszu said:
You could do quest in diferent ways, one solution would block the other. Maybe class specific side quest, as for end quest maybe giving something that end boss drop to x or y or going to portal a or b.

I think thats a decent idea, it fits in with the H&S genre, in a way that IGN's suggestion of dialogue trees wouldnt. Diablo focuses more on the lore, not on the persona of the playing character, to my mind that could seem out of place.

I am really looking forward to D3...

Umbragen

Novice
Damn, I didn't know Boyarsky was leading on this game. Now I have to pay attention. And I was all set to ignore this one completely.

RGE

Liturgist
Didn't the expansion to Diablo 1 have some kind of thing with the end boss where you could use books to get a much easier fight at the end, rather than just going with a brainless frontal assault? I didn't get that far before the game crashed, so I only know what I read on forums at the time. But wouldn't that have been the only case of optional quest solution in the history of Diablo?

Bradylama

Arcane
I thought it was strange that I got sucked into all the fluff on the D3 website so readily having never played the games, and now that I know Leonard Boyarsky is responsible for a lot of it, it makes sense.

Globbi

Augur
It would be nice if there were alternative ways giving different rewards both good for all characters. After all, except the first play that probably won't take long Diablo will be all about creating your favorite strong and fun to play character. But, of course, it's better if story-driven.

RGE said:
Didn't the expansion to Diablo 1 have some kind of thing with the end boss where you could use books to get a much easier fight at the end, rather than just going with a brainless frontal assault?
It was just about having read a note bofore killing the boss. There was a small closed room and simply insead of clicking on leaver you clicked on books. It gave much easier fight but I woldn't say it had something to do with your character affecting the story or better character personalizing. Besides, the expansion was really stupid story-wise. IMO worse than some stupid D2 quests. (tough, there were more of monsters to slash)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom