Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info A taste of the patch

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Steve Moret; Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

<b>Steve Moret</b>, programmer for <A href="http://www.troikagames.com">Troika</a>, has posted a big list of fixes in <A href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329647">this here thread</A> on <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/">the Atari forums</A> in case anyone is dying to know what bugs in <A href="Http://www.greyhawkgame.com">Temple of Elemental Evil</a> will be fixed. Here's just the section on the <i><b>rules</b></i>, there are other sections for <i><b>spells</b></i>, <i><b>gameplay</b></i> and other things in <A href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329647">said thread</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>[rules]
<br>
--- </b>
<br>
* tumble now properly works for characters not in medium or heavy armor.
<br>
* evasion/improved evasion now properly works for characters not in medium or heavy armor.
<br>
* fixed bard spell failure check when not in medium or heavy armor.
<br>
* monk and barbarian fast movement fixed in regards to armor (none, light, medium, heavy).
<br>
* ranger feats related to medium and heavy armor are now correct, including two-weapon fighting.
<br>
* fast movement for barbarians and monks is now correct in regards to medium or heavy armor.
<br>
* paladin divine grace saving throw bonus is now properly adding a bonus from CHA (was CON).
<br>
* healing domain power (add +1 to caster level checks for Healing spells) should now work properly.
<br>
* fixed 1-handed/2-handed issues with dwarven waraxe.
<br>
* fixed 1-handed/2-handed issues with bastard sword.
<br>
* fixed weapon proficiency issue with bastard sword.
<br>
* fixed certain cases in which a creature was "helpless" but not eligible to be subject to a sneak attack.
<br>
* equipped shields now properly count against 2-handed (x1.5) damage with melee weapons.
<br>
* monks can now use Power Attack with unarmed strike.
<br>
* metamagic feats no longer actually increase DC checks for spells.
<br>
* using/drinking potions now correctly incurs AOO's.
<br>
* evasion/improved evasion now correctly reduce damage appropriately against an empowered damage spell
<br>
* weapon finesse updated to 3.5
<br>
* added greater weapon focus to levelup screen
<br>
* whirlwind attack no longer free after being used multiple times
<br>
* Full attacking with dual weapons now uses the correct weapon.
<br>
* cleave no longer works with whirlwind attack
<br>
* Corrected bonuses for improved two weapon fighting
<br>
* changed short swords to use proper type
<br>
* Corrected armor check penalties for masterwork armor
<br>
* corrected armor check penalties for crafted magic armor
<br>
* corrected critical hit ranges
<br>
* greater spell penetration added
<br>
* Run actions (and all such derivative actions like Charge) now correctly invalidate a 5' step after performing the action.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Hey, they added a feat and we don't have to pay $30 for it!
<br>
<br>
Spotted on <A href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/">the Atari forums</a>.
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
* added Flee Combat option to Radial Menu->Movement. this is available on any map that the party transferred to via a Jumppoint Icon (i.e. N/A for Teleport or scripted map transfers). selecting this Full-Round action will incur AOO's on all party members, and then a Flee check (factors include: Survival, Character Level, Encounter CR) must be made. If successful, the entire party (including those Unconscious, Dead, or Incapacitated) is transferred back to the previous map at the Jumppoint last used. If used "Out of Combat", it will automatically transfer the party.

Nice. :)

* Added tip of the day.

LOL

Well, they've compiled a healthy list of fixes and tweaks there, that's for sure.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nice. They added flee combat. Now, they just have to release the patch instead of just talking about it.

triCritical

Erudite
Scanning over the list, I just realized that they could have released the game in early November right in time for christmas and got better reviews with better sales.

Of course, the astute reader, will mention that without the public beta testing, all the problems would not have been picked up. Owning over 5 Atari titles has made me realize that their QA is not very good. LOL.

Sharpice

Novice
So, Atari has a QA team! :o
I am just wandering if they are hiring more?
I would love getting paid for doing nothing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
  • * using/drinking potions now correctly incurs AOO's.

I'm going to seriously miss this one. I loved this bug.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:

Damn, I felt dirty drinking potions in front of baddies. I mean I was proverbially taking candy from children, pardon the pun.

Sammael

Liturgist
Other highlights:

• * spiritual weapon is now largely ignored by hostile monsters.
    * the highest appraisal score in the party is now always used when bartering (buying/selling).
    * open lock checks outside of combat now Take 20.
    * NPC's will not loot any item that makes them heavily encumbered or overburdened.
    * Multi-class clerics of a neutral deity who select positive energy channeling properly spontaneously cast cure spells.
    * Wands that weighed 10lbs should way 1lbs now.
    * You can no longer start sneaking IN combat (you must do this OUT of combat, before monsters notice you)

And, the best one of all:
  • * long descriptions for items are now available (if it is a magic item, it must be identified first). hover over the item in inventory and press SHIFT-CLICK to access the item description (in a popup window).

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:

Yeah. Kinda reminded me of playing Diablo.

*blink* /time stops/
Hero: Okay, let me just suck down these three or four potions here..... *glug glug glug* Ahhhh..... much better. *looks around at the horde of monsters frozen in time and quickly resumes his last combat stance* Now, have at you once more! HaHA!
*blink* /time resumes/

:roll:

Jarinor

Liturgist
Shit on me, that's a huge list of fixes. Didn't see the one I was really hoping for in there (it may not be a bug though), but no matter, because I'm going to be starting over with nearly every party I'm playing with - partly for roleplaying purposes, partly to have some of these changes affecting my games, and to get my fighter to be actually able to take Greater Weapon Focus.

Of course, this will only happen if the patch is actually released. I honestly can't see myself being finished with the game any time soon. So much I haven't done yet...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dang, that's one mighty fine list! :)
I'm still wondering if MW weapons will be more readily availeble though, and I really do hope that bullets will be for sale. Slings were quite useless before. Maybe it's in the list and I just overread it though.
Can't wait to see that patch!

Trash

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I suppose this means I have to buy ToEE then?

Damn, that's a long (and impressive*) list.

*I'm not sure whether a long list of bug fixes is actually impressive or not as fixes really are problesm not picked up earlier...

I wonder though, will there be a second patch for all the things they missed with this one?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Whoops, well maybe then impressive, daunting, amazing or frightening? Maybe it's because my english isn't that good, but I wanted to express how happy I am that Troika managed to remove so many bugs. Hopefully by friday I can start my game over again.
Still haven't found anything about "fixed shopkeeper inventory".......crosses fingers.

Trash

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Nice to see these bugs (hopefully) fixed, although naturally they shouldn't have been in the game in the first place and the patch should have been out long ago.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
There's still one thing I wish they fixed, and that's the ability to make scrolls beyond the minimumlevels. I hate being a 10th wizard stuck making a 1st level version of magic missile. That is lame.

Voss

Erudite
open lock checks outside of combat now Take 20.
* NPC's will not loot any item that makes them heavily encumbered or overburdened.

Oh, thank the gods.

Sammael

Liturgist
triCritical said:
Perspective. He likes the games, and now he is damn happy that it will be much better.
If I bought a Big Mac and they only gave me the bun and the patty, without pickles, onions, or special sauce, I wouldn't exactly be happy that they decided to send me some of those missing ingredients by UPS two months later. Even if the burger itself actually tasted good, which it didn't.

Ah well. I guess perspective can play a role.

triCritical

Erudite
Sammael said:
If I bought a Big Mac and they only gave me the bun and the patty, without pickles, onions, or special sauce, I wouldn't exactly be happy that they decided to send me some of those missing ingredients by UPS two months later. Even if the burger itself actually tasted good, which it didn't.

That analogy is just about the pinnacle of a hyberbole. Lets face it software arrives to us buggy. Not just games though, all of it. However, ToEE happened to be more buggy then most games. However, not all games are entertaining and have the possibility of being entertaining like PoR2. This one for a lot of people does, so they are happy its finally get it fixed. BTW, I stopped playing until the patch was released so I am pretty happy too. Aside from the dialogue, the bugs, and the lack of different quest solutions in Homlett, I think the game is quite good.

Sammael

Liturgist
triCritical said:
That analogy is just about the pinnacle of a hyberbole.
Even so, when I open the UPS package on Friday, I'll only find pickles and onions. No sign of the promised special sauce. None whatsoever.

What was the "Troika Touch" again? Good combat? Neither Fallout (which 99% of the fanboys consider to be a Troika game) nor Arcanum had very good combat. Fallout's combat was slow and extremely unbalanced (particularly when compared to JA2, for example), and Arcanum's fast and extremely unbalanced.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Fallout's combat wans't unbalanced. At least not when I played.... You must have a different version...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom