Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3 forum round-up

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III

<a href="http://gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkEVllluyEIzUMMseM.php">GameBanshee have gathered a few developer quotes from the Official Diablo III forums</a>. Here's the part on loot drops, the quintessential element of the Diablo gaming experience:
<br>
<blockquote>Currently - while in a party each player will see their own drops from each kill.
<br>
<br>
This could mean that after killing a zombie I see a sword drop, and you may see a shoulder slot item drop. Or I see nothing drop, while you got an axe.
<br>
<br>
Obviously while in a group you're killing faster, and this could translate to an exponentially increasing number of drops with each additional player in your party. However, it's balanced in such a way that the drop % is pulled back a bit with each additional player (I'm simplifying it, but that's what it boils down to). This keeps it from being almost detrimental to not play with a full party, while still giving a nice increase to the amount of drops if you do.
<br>
<br>
From this system it seems quite a few people got the impression that you'll never see items drop that you can't use. For instance, a Barbarian will never see a dagger that only a Witch Doctor can use. This isn't true. There is no effect, or at least no currently intended effect, to restrict which items which classes can or can't see for their respective drops. It's still intended that you could see an item that your class can't use. It's easy enough to drop the item, ask if anyone can use it, or just sell it off of course.</blockquote>
<br>
Personally, I'd rather see the axe drop and know you took it before I got there, you slimy bastard. It just seems odd, given the sheer number of loot drops likely to occur in any single game, to add the extra mechanic of having to pick it up and drop it yourself to see if anybody else wants it (if I understood that right). There's also some more info on health globes instead of potions and the five classes so <a href="http://gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkEVllluyEIzUMMseM.php">be sure to check it all out</a>.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord said:
Personally, I'd rather see the axe drop and know you took it before I got there, you slimy bastard.

I disagree. I think that it is a good method to avoid unnecessary frustration and increase teamplay.

DarkUnderlord said:
It just seems odd, given the sheer number of loot drops likely to occur in any single game, to add the extra mechanic of having to pick it up and drop it yourself to see if anybody else wants it (if I understood that right).

True, that seems to be a disadvantage, but one that can be prevented by simply doing it like Guild Wars did (it was GW, right? ).
In that game, every drop is shown, but you can only pick up the ones colored white. Drops from other players are displayed grey. So, if you see that your friend got a nice axe, you could just.. you know.. ask ;)

Shannow

Waster of Time
thesheeep said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Personally, I'd rather see the axe drop and know you took it before I got there, you slimy bastard.

I disagree. I think that it is a good method to avoid unnecessary frustration and increase teamplay.

DarkUnderlord said:
It just seems odd, given the sheer number of loot drops likely to occur in any single game, to add the extra mechanic of having to pick it up and drop it yourself to see if anybody else wants it (if I understood that right).

True, that seems to be a disadvantage, but one that can be prevented by simply doing it like Guild Wars did (it was GW, right? ).
In that game, every drop is shown, but you can only pick up the ones colored white. Drops from other players are displayed grey. So, if you see that your friend got a nice axe, you could just.. you know.. ask ;)
+1

roshan

Arcane
thesheeep said:
DarkUnderlord said:

DarkUnderlord said:

Another way could be to allow players to mark items they dont want without having to pick it up - for example, left click to pick up an item, right click to reject it and make it visible to other players.

Globbi

Augur
The see-only-your-loot feature would be goof if you could turn it on or of when starting the game. When you are making a closed game with your friends, seeing all the loot will simply be easier and would prevent stopping all the time for checking eachothers items. You could check the option if you were going to just make an open battle-net game where evil looters would join.

The health globes suck not in way they are used in gameplay, because, simply, we can't tell it yet. They should just explain how can you get life from the monsters with something in the gameworld enabling it. Maybe souls freed after killing some demons would heal you, maybe you had an artifact draning power from dead demons and you would get it in the first "quest". Whatever, I just made up two exapmles that are as reasonable as most quests in Diablo games.
Yeah, I know all the loot coming from monsters is not realistic considering rules of any fantastic gameworld, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't give reasons for adding more things like this to the game.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Health globes sound like an insta-health potion. I don't know why the developers are hyping it by making up that barbarian story.

Ryuken

Liturgist
That Blizzard community manager is apparently using a Fallen Shaman (Diablo III style) for his avatar:

ors4tw.jpg

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should do a forum roundup of all the butthurt necrotards, that's a goldmine of lulz there.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Some of us only play in password-protected games with people we know (the rest of the Battle.Net population is worthless), and all these "streamlining decisions" that are supposed to "reduce griefing" are going to be more of an annoyance than anything else.

I want to see everything that drops. Stop assuming we're all antisocial retards, Blizzard.Loot streamlining may have been necessary with WoW, but its not necessary with a game where we can willfully restrict who we're playing with.

Ryuken

Liturgist
1251d13.gif

Wassup?

Anyway, there is still a lot that can change, if you look at the first Diablo II screens then the final game got changed a lot in all aspects.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Wow, I might be able to get some loot in D3. One of the reasons I quit playing D2 with everyone online is because the greedy fucks took all the items.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If that's really how they look there'll be fanart of them in no time.

Atrokkus

Erudite
The separate loot drop mechanic is a good tradeoff, if a bit clumsy. One of the reasons I like it *a lot* is the fact that it might- no, *will* encourage team MF runs, which, in my opinion, is very awesome. The difficulty of popular MF targets can be increased to encourage ganging up on them. That, along with the absence of PK (it seems they are not going to change their minds over that issue), will finally make diablo PvM really challenging and fun, unlike D2 PvM which was more tedious than challenging (still awesome though).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom