Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Arena Screenies

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence

Those nasty Age of Decadence guys are continuing their evil plot to get you to sign up to their forums by <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=401.0">posting more screens of their game</a> and telling you that you need to login to see them. Fun Fact™ is, you don't need to login at all and you can see them just fine:
<br>
<blockquote>This is the Maadoran Arena, where fighters die for a chance to make a few coins, providing cheap entertainment for the locals.
<br>
<br>
We'd like to know your opinion about this building. We had some poly count limit issues and had to work around them. I think that the best that we can do, but we'd like to know what you think.</blockquote>
<br>
In the event you can't see them and signing up to a forum to see some screenies sounds like far too much work, <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43233">you can view the brown over on NMA</a> without logging in. The audience is full of people too, which looks pretty cool.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
This game is silly. Turn-based fights on the arena?! Come on guys, didn't you see "Gladiator"?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Fun fact: This is the first time we have seen females in Age of Decadence. They do exist!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Given how old the game's engine is, they still managed to make th arena look pretty nice and detailed. Is that the final version or are the devs still doing work on it?

So what do we fight in the arena? Will there only be human opponents or will there sometimes be the occasional lion or tiger or something similar? Also, is the battleground the only part of the arena we can go to, or are there barracks and such that we can go to as well? Are we able to place bets on other combatants? Sorry, have't been following the game's progress the last few months.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
As a general rule, I'm anti-Arena. The idea of willingly fighting to the death for somebody else's amusement just doesn't make much sense economically. Remember, the original "arena," the Roman Colliseum, used slaves captured in war to provide the entertainment. They didn't exacty sign up for the slaughter at the front office.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The interface definitely looks a lot better than it did a few years ago when I last took a look at it. VD will probably go emo like all the other game mods and hold the game ransom from the public unless he gets all the attention he deserves.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jedi_Learner said:
Fun fact:
I'm sorry that's trademarked to me as denoted by the ™ used in the news item. I'm going to have to sue you for trademark infringement. Expect my lawyers to be in touch.

Fat Dragon said:
Given how old the game's engine is, they still managed to make th arena look pretty nice and detailed.
This. If they'd gone for a newer engine, I suspect the Arena would've had the same empty feeling Oblivion had. 3 blokes walking around talking about mudcrabs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Greatatlantic said:
As a general rule, I'm anti-Arena. The idea of willingly fighting to the death for somebody else's amusement just doesn't make much sense economically. Remember, the original "arena," the Roman Colliseum, used slaves captured in war to provide the entertainment. They didn't exacty sign up for the slaughter at the front office.
Actually....

"Free men also volunteered to be gladiators (auctorati) and, by the end of the Republic, they comprised half the number who fought. Often, they were social outcasts, freed slaves, discharged soldiers, or former gladiators who had been liberated on retirement but chose to return for a period of service. They signed on for a fee and swore a fearful oath of absolute submission to the lanista to be burned, flogged, beaten, or killed if so ordered (Petronius, Satyricon, CXVII; Seneca, Moral Epistles, XXXVII.1). Roman citizens sometimes assumed the career of a gladiator, and women (Amazones) occasionally fought in the arena, to such enthusiasm that, in AD 200, Septimius Severus forbade female combatants. In spite of the opprobrium, even senators and emperors competed. When a member of the Gracchi fought as a retiarius, the scandal was all the greater because his face could be seen. Indeed, writes Tacitus, the year AD 63 of Nero's reign "witnessed gladiatorial displays on a no less magnificent scale than before, but exceeding all precedent in the number of distinguished women and senators disgracing themselves in the arena."

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like the idea of arenas.

An old war-hero, haunted my memories of bloodshed. Accepted nowhere, going nowhere, vertigo. What does he have left? Nothing. All he fought for; forgotten, obsolete, or crushed under new ideals. Then the arena, deadly; but what has he to lose?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm sorry that's trademarked to me as denoted by the ™ used in the news item. I'm going to have to sue you for trademark infringement. Expect my lawyers to be in touch.
:(

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Greatatlantic said:
Actually....

"Free men also volunteered to be gladiators (auctorati) and, by the end of the Republic, they comprised half the number who fought. Often, they were social outcasts, freed slaves, discharged soldiers, or former gladiators who had been liberated on retirement but chose to return for a period of service. They signed on for a fee and swore a fearful oath of absolute submission to the lanista to be burned, flogged, beaten, or killed if so ordered (Petronius, Satyricon, CXVII; Seneca, Moral Epistles, XXXVII.1). Roman citizens sometimes assumed the career of a gladiator, and women (Amazones) occasionally fought in the arena, to such enthusiasm that, in AD 200, Septimius Severus forbade female combatants. In spite of the opprobrium, even senators and emperors competed. When a member of the Gracchi fought as a retiarius, the scandal was all the greater because his face could be seen. Indeed, writes Tacitus, the year AD 63 of Nero's reign "witnessed gladiatorial displays on a no less magnificent scale than before, but exceeding all precedent in the number of distinguished women and senators disgracing themselves in the arena."
Still, the majority of fights weren't to the death. Which I think is the essential difference here.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Having your fighters killed in every battle sounds pretty bad for the profit of their owners, it makes no sense.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It makes sense for battles to the death if you consider that that is probably what the audience craves for in a decayed post apocalyptic world where life is cheap. Hell, that is what the audience secretly craves for, today. Also, it's a common thing for people to fight to the death in the streets of AoD cities over petty disputes (like in almost every rpg), while it's unrealistic for people to do so in the arena in order to gain big sums of money?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom