Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview CD-Action previews Fallout 3

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

The Polish CD-Action magazine was invited to <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com>Bethesda</a> headquarters for a hands-on preview of <a href=http://fallout.bethsoft.com>Fallout 3</a> as the only representative of Poland, along with 15 other journalists from around the world.
<br>
<br>
A summary:
<br>
* As far as locations and content go, the game is finished. Bethesda is mostly doing QA now. There are still some bugs and the game crashes from time to time.
<br>
* They had a predefined character - a strong male.
<br>
* They were told to steer clear from the main quest and were not allowed to talk about what they saw of it in the preview.
<br>
* To make escape from Vault 101 easier for the purposes of the preview, guards were removed.
<br>
* The game can be saved at any moment, and it's pretty quick.
<br>
* We leave the Vault with a PipBoy, a pistol, some ammo and a holotape with a message from the father
<br>
* Ammo is scarce and it's best to fight weaker opponents hand to hand.
<br>
* They go to Megaton by following a sign in Springvale showing the way to the town
<br>
* In Springvale, the Sputnik Eyebot was hovering over the street, broadcasting a speech of the Enclave president
<br>
* Megaton looks like a Wild West town. We have a good sheriff, and an evil saloon owner. The saloon has a prostitute, but she tells the player character that he's too young to use her services.
<br>
* We are informed that our Karma has changed after the fact. We also don't see any numbers - we just see e.g. a Vault Boy with angel wings and a "Saint" description. The developers intentionally hid the numerical value of your Karma.
<br>
* If we are caught trying to steal something, the person we tried to rob will first chase us, trying to recover his property. He won't be happy, but usually it won't end with a shootout, unless we already have a bad reputation. Well, it was enough to cause some trouble in Megaton for everyone to turn against us. What then? We can try putting our weapon down - if we didn't kill anyone, the situation will calm down.
<br>
* If we, however, do have blood on our hands already, the best way out is to quickly evacuate. Fortunately, a return is possible. After a few days the emotions drop down, and entering the town does not end with bloodshed. But still, people will know about our deeds and if we cause trouble again, they won't give us the benefit of a doubt this time.
<br>
* At first glance, it looked like they'd wanter around aimlessly. But only at first glance, thanks to the compass. Directions where we can find something interesting are marked with little triangles. We'll learn what it is when we get there (it can be a school taken over by bandits, a cinema with car wrecks, baseball pitch with dead bodies hanging from the fence, a small settlement at an overpass or a normal town). The compass can also show the place where we have a quest to do or a navigation point we put on the map ourselves.
<br>
* At first glance, Fallout 3 looks like a typical FPS.
<br>
* You use stimpaks on specific parts of the body, as hit points are divided among them.
<br>
* While throwing grenades and during hand-to-hand combat, while you can use VATS, you can't aim at specific parts of the body
<br>
* Choice of gender has been marginalized and its importance will be minimal.
<br>
* Lots of blood and profanity. Body parts can be disintegrated or vaporized, depending on the weapon.
<br>
* The PC version has the same interface as the X360 one, but adjusted to the use of mouse and keyboard. It works much better than Oblivion's. Both the PipBoy and the VATS work well with the mouse.
<br>
* You can assign hotkeys to items - e.g. weapons or stimpaks.
<br>
* Even with standard settings, the game looks better on the PC than on the 360 - better textures and longer line of sight.
<br>
* The lockpicking minigame is similar to the one from the Thief games.
<br>
<br>
Conclusion: "Is it Fallout? If you expect the same experience as before, it's safer to just play the previous games. But if you just want the brutal, post nuclear world, freedom and atmosphere, what I was shown is no worse than in the first Fallout. And it's the best recommendation I can give after a few hours of playing."

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Is it Fallout? If you expect the same experience as before, it's safer to just play the previous games. But if you just want the brutal, post nuclear world, freedom and atmosphere, what I was shown is no worse than in the first Fallout. And it's the best recommendation I can give after a few hours of playing."
Why is it always that wording?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
"* To make escape from Vault 101 easier for the purposes of the preview, guards were removed. "

I bet that's a mandatory stealth mission.

I think the stealing part is actually okay though if a bit noob friendly. It should probably depend on the NPCs personality but most likely bethesda doesn't make personalities for NPCs. You have to download that after for a few dollars.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Well, those aren't, shall we say, apocalyptic news for this game. What you posted seems like rather solid info written by someone who doesn't masturbate while thinking about F3 or Oblivion. Sounds positive all right, but without hype.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, but that's the age of an average Oblivion player and *they* are too young for a hooker.

flushfire

Augur
sportforredneck said:
Too young for a hooker? What are you in this game? 12?
A strong 12 year old male.

And you can't target specific parts of the body during hand-to-hand combat. WTF

Truth

Scholar
* At first glance, Fallout 3 looks like a typical FPS.

* You use stimpaks on specific parts of the body, as hit points are divided among them.

Deus Ex style damage system.

* Choice of gender has been marginalized and its importance will be minimal.

RPG

* Megaton looks like a Wild West town. We have a good sheriff, and an evil saloon owner. The saloon has a prostitute, but she tells the player character that he's too young to use her services.
* Lots of blood and profanity. Body parts can be disintegrated or vaporized, depending on the weapon.

:salute: at Bethesda for creating an all-American game with all-American values.

Kraszu

Prophet
Ausir said:
The saloon has a prostitute, but she tells the player character that he's too young to use her services.

It is hard to describe on how retarded that is in post apo world, and how young you will be, wtf you can buy a bear? Will they let you inside the bar or do you have to sneak to get there? It would be better to not have a prostitute at all.

Ausir said:
* If we are caught trying to steal something, the person we tried to rob will first chase us, trying to recover his property. He won't be happy, but usually it won't end with a shootout, unless we already have a bad reputation.

If you don't ask hookers for sex you can steal, choices and consequences.

Ausir said:
Well, it was enough to cause some trouble in Megaton for everyone to turn against us. What then? We can try putting our weapon down - if we didn't kill anyone, the situation will calm down.

You can try to steal and be forced to put weapon down or not steal and go whit weapon in hands, some more choices and consequences goodness.

Ausir said:
* If we, however, do have blood on our hands already, the best way out is to quickly evacuate. Fortunately, a return is possible. After a few days the emotions drop down, and entering the town does not end with bloodshed. But still, people will know about our deeds and if we cause trouble again, they won't give us the benefit of a doubt this time.

-That fucker is back.
-oh common it was like two weeks ago get over it.
-wtf he killed your brother
-I never liked him that much, besides everybody should got second chance, calm down, get a hooker
-I am 17 I can't yet.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite

Ugh, I hate to see the return of theme towns.

deuxhero

Arcane
God damn it, even when the world is a radioactive wasteland we STILL have stupid age of consent laws?

fucking hell.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The thing with the hooker is just fucking pointless. It's a goddamn post-apocalyptic wasteland, there aren't any fucking statutory laws.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
OMG I CANT HAVE SEX IN THE GAME I'M SO NOT BUYING IT.
Mass Effect set the bar for games to come. I it ain't got boobies I ain't buying it.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
When is FO3 happening? I would expect to see some laws after FO2, not society suddenly degrading back to the state in which it was in FO1. We had money in FO2 and now it's back to bottlecaps somehow? I'm not buying it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Marcelo21 said:
Mass Effect set the bar for games to come. I it ain't got boobies I ain't buying it.
OMG, I EXPECT A GAME TO BE CONSISTENT. IF IT IS NOT CONSISTENT I'M NOT BUYING IT.

Either leave out the whore or make her fuckable for some cash with a black screen.

Ausir

Arcane
Unradscorpion said:
When is FO3 happening? I would expect to see some laws after FO2, not society suddenly degrading back to the state in which it was in FO1. We had money in FO2 and now it's back to bottlecaps somehow? I'm not buying it.

Well, it's also on the opposite end of the continent, so it doesn't have to be as civilized as the Core Region in FO2.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Marcelo21 said:
The Witcher set the bar for games to come. I it ain't got boobies I ain't buying it.

Fixed.

Deleted member 7219

Xor said:
The thing with the hooker is just fucking pointless. It's a goddamn post-apocalyptic wasteland, there aren't any fucking statutory laws.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know lads, I think the hooker part is more like "Fuck off boyo" than "Oh, you're under age x, gtfo or the cops will get me".

Lumpy

Arcane
Which still makes no fucking sense. Why would she refuse to fuck an 18 year old or whatever the hell you are?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, beats me. Maybe uh, she's prejudiced towards young men.

okay, makes no sense.

it sounds like it has that stupid thing where if you pick up a mug in a bar (that doesnt belong to you) then the whole town starts trying to kill you,

it wasnt good in morrowind and it isnt good here

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
About the lack of sex in this hands-on... Isn't it contradictory with the info in the PSM3 hands-on?

There it said: "Need some <ahem> relief? The girl at the inn in Megaton can offer "special" services if you rent a room there. For a price, of course. A working girl's gotta earn a living. It's good for a quick health boost, I hear."

1014ny9.jpg

Maybe this previewer just talked with her, but didn't rent a room?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom