Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview ... flying knee that burst his jaw with a sickening crunch

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

<a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/alpha-protocol/preview/alpha-protocol/a-200807079401623072/g-20080313162151178085">There's a 2 page Alpha Protocol preview over at GamesRadar</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Mike’s pursuit of evil takes you around the world. Rome, Japan and Saudi Arabia have all been confirmed, with possible visits to the US and Russia in the offing too, and each place will contain Intel and contacts to help you along the way. Computers, TVs and radios can all be used to harvest clues and there’s going to be an in-game internet service for you to use. How does it play? Well, there’s a very familiar feel to Alpha Protocol, as it adopts the over-the-shoulder viewpoint from Resident Evil 4, the stealth and sneaking of Splinter Cell and the visceral body-breaking of a beat-‘em-up like Virtua Fighter. And Mike is just like Jason Bourne when it comes to battling. If he’s surrounded by enemies, then you can tap a few buttons to lay them out quickly in a blur of punches and grapples. During one scene we grimaced as Mike ran down a corridor toward a foe and delivered a Muay-Thai style flying knee that burst his jaw with a sickening crunch and a gush of blood. Ouch.</blockquote>
<br>
On the downside, it mentions hacking mini-games. And there's a bit of a Q&A on page 2 with Darren Monahan, Obsidian Executive Producer.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">BluesNews</a>

Morbus

Scholar
Do you think they'll continue to develop classic RPGs after AP like MotB? I hope so...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ben Affleck: You're like a child. What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Morbus said:
Do you think they'll continue to develop classic RPGs after AP like MotB? I hope so...
Quite likely. Such things aren't unheard of. Ie, Del Toro directs good independent movies with the money he makes from Hollywood actioners.

Anyway, the combat/stealth gameplay sounds pretty fun.

Morbus

Scholar
Who's publishing? Because if it's Atari again then the game will blow with all the bugs and shit. If not, well, it should provide for some interesting moments, maybe, but I'm not paying for a game I didn't ask to be made.

Let the stupid mindless console tards pay for me.

:EDIT:
I mean, it's only fair, right? My position?

Vaarna_Aarne

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Morbus said:
Who's publishing? Because if it's Atari again then the game will blow with all the bugs and shit.

Sega. It could be even worse. You see how they've treated their flagship franchises?
I will never forgive Sega if Armored Core 4 Answer stays a Japan exclusive. Bastards.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Morbus said:
Who's publishing?

Sega.

As for the game, I really want to see a gameplay video or two before I call anything. I'm interested because I find this setting interesting. Loved the Bourne trilogy! On the other hand, the infinite ammo design and the dialog system being somewhat minigame-ish isn't reassuring. Though I must admit that the dialog part might turn out decent after seeing a few dev posts on the matter on the Obsidian forums.

aries202

Erudite
Obsidiian is releasing Strom of Zehir this september (2008) so I'd say they'll probably continue to do make good, creative rpgs.

As for Alpha Protocol, it doesn't sound like it might be for me....buit some others might find it interesting..

Lurkar

Scholar
As I've stated elsewhere, I'm fairly optimistically cautious about it, and I'll probably buy it and give it a whirl once it comes out.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think it must be some malformed empty suit directive like throwing crates everywhere.

Vaarna_Aarne

Dark Individual said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
skyway said:
why devs believe that minigames are fun?
Because shit like Oblivion sells.

And Oblivion sold precisely because of minigames :roll:
That wasn't my point. The point is that marketing figures that just take features from Oblivion and voilá, a new hit product.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
skyway said:
why devs believe that minigames are fun?
Because shit like Oblivion sells.

And Oblivion sold precisely because of minigames :roll:

There are no statistics that prove it didn't. Buying a game supports EVERY design decision that was made by its dev team.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"why devs believe that minigames are fun?"

'Cause they are.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Volourn said:

'Cause they are.
Agreed. They're usually fun if done real well. Though, I don't think they belong in RPGs, usually because they end up making a skill really annoying to use. But if it's something like what's seen in Zelda or Mario or something they're usually not that bad.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Anachronox wasn't too bad with mini-games. They happened only once at some points in the story and were not too hard to complete though you could get items by completing them nicely. The skill mini-games ended up being repeated often but not every 5 minutes and were for the most part short and fun.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:

'Cause they are.

i can't remember any mini-game that was fun since the old cinemaware games that was like several smaller games put together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom