Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Piranha Bytes create new world - avoid Gothic

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes

Probably because they couldn't get their shit right with the Gothic series, Piranha Bytes are developing a new RPG set in a new world. <a href="http://www.worldofpiranha.de/?section=article&id=28">Go ahead and read the FAQ</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Creating a new universe gives you the chance to introduce new and believable races. Is this opportunity being used?</b>
<br>
The newly won freedom is being utilized; a new mythology leaves room for new and original ideas.
<br>
<br>
<b>Will there be cool and realistic weapons in RPB? Are you designing the swords?</b>
<br>
The weapons look very realistic, but there will be a few special weapons. Our “Swordmaster” models them by hand.
<br>
<br>
<b>Will there be magic?</b>
<br>
Naturally! There has been a lot of modification, as far as the system is concerned.
<br>
<br>
<b>None of the features from Gothic are being used. Does this mean we have to do without fireball or fire rain?</b>
<br>
Fireball is the standard attack spell of a magician and in nowhere protected by law. The whole thing is mainly based on familiar characters, music, own monsters, gods etc.
<br>
<br>
<b>Will there be shields and fighting with two weapons?</b>
<br>
But of course!
<br>
<br>
<b>Will there be flails and explosives?</b>
<br>
No.</blockquote>
<br>
Believable races? What, Elves and Dwarves aren't believable now but dual-wielding is?
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">The place the RPGDot staff went after they sold out</a>

Micmu

Magister
After reading the FAQ, I'm assuming it's an action/adventure RPG-lite hybrid akin to Gothic?
I'm just hoping it's not going to be another Gothic 3.

Will there be hard liquor?
Absolutely certain!

Are there any women in the completed game?
Yes, there will be women.
:lol:

I'm also hoping for weed.

Balor

Arcane
Well, dual-wielding is more beleiveable then elves :P. Not by a huge margin, though.
However, if you will be faced with a great in-game incovinience for carrying a shield around, using two light weapons is more then realistic.
Shield beats the crap out of all two-weapon fighting styles when it comes to survival in real combat, AND can be used as a weapon too.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What kind of questions are those?
''Will you maek tis gaem useing computar?''
''Is there robots in teh gaem?''
''Do you haev penis lol?''

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Will there be cool and realistic weapons in RPB? Are you designing the swords?
The weapons look very realistic, but there will be a few special weapons. Our “Swordmaster” models them by hand.

Whattefuck kind of question is that? "Are you designing the swords?" Yea, but axes and staves we are outsourcing. :roll:

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Will there be hard liquor?
Absolutely certain!

Are there any women in the completed game?
Yes, there will be women.

Will there be NPC’s with a character?
Yes, there will be.

Will there be decent hairstyles?
Yes, there will be hairstyles. Very realistic ones actually.
Very intellectual fanbase.

Will the players’ requests and ideas be incorporated into the game?
Yes.
God no. They're gonna ask for more hairstyles.

Will the new project have multiple parts?
The title should be able to stand on its own, but plans for a purposeful continuation have been made.
This means an addon in 6 months after release. Knowing Piranhas it's better to wait until it comes out before playing the game.

Are there plans for a demo?
It is in the works.
Good news.

Code:
How do the different clothing materials (Leather, Silk, Linen and Satin) look? Do the textures appear realistic enough?
Hahaha.

Will there be photorealistic, not drawn textures and HDR (not Bloom)?
HDR programs are being used to optimize part of the textures. They will be close to, but not photorealistic.
I don't want to upgrade my computer again, you lazy fucks!

The most important question hasn't been asked though.
For me it's "Will there be multiple solutions to quests?". Gothic 2 really shone in this department: get into the city? 5 ways. become a citizen? 4 ways. If only they could improve that in RPB...

Badgermaster

Educated
What's unrealistic about dual-wielding weapons? It's been common throughout most of history.

Using a shield and a sword/mace/axe/whatever is dual wielding (yes, a shield is a weapon). Using a long weapon and a short weapon or two short weapons is dual wielding. All of which there are ample real-world examples of.

Dual-wielding's only unrealistic when it comes to firearms.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Badgermaster said:
What's unrealistic about dual-wielding weapons? It's been common throughout most of history.

Using a shield and a sword/mace/axe/whatever is dual wielding (yes, a shield is a weapon). Using a long weapon and a short weapon or two short weapons is dual wielding. All of which there are ample real-world examples of.

Dual wielding weapons (weapon in each hand, not shield) is absolutely not common. At least not in the West. In fact, AFAIK we only have two sources indicating instances of dual wielding before 1500 (one Celtic and one northern European, both the men in those stories were cited as unusual for this fact, both were killed because they lacked a shield).

After 1500 with the introduction and popularization of the rapier as a gentlemanly sidearm, the main-gauche had limited use as a secondary weapon, though it was never entirely popular and was only used in ceremonial occasions not in warfare.

Either having a shield or a hand free is a useful thing.

Badgermaster

Educated
Turbografx said:
Badgermaster said:

Dual wielding weapons (weapon in each hand, not shield) is absolutely not common. At least not in the West.

I didn't specify "Only the West" (and I included the use of the shield in my definition of dual-wielding) so you're not exactly contradicting me.

Either having a shield or a hand free is a useful thing.

I agree, and never said otherwise. If I had to choose something for my off-hand, I'd prefer a shield over another type of weapon.

Use of two blades was more prevalent in non-battlefield/civilian usage, and more prevalent in the East than the West.

They hashed this one out fairly recently over at the Sword Forums:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread ... adid=59686

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Badgermaster said:
I didn't specify "Only the West" (and I included the use of the shield in my definition of dual-wielding) so you're not exactly contradicting me.
I don't suppose anyone cares about your definition of dual-wielding. I suggest you use the generally accepted definition.

Badgermaster

Educated
Claw said:
Badgermaster said:

I don't suppose anyone cares about your definition of dual-wielding. I suggest you use the generally accepted definition.

Even excluding the use of shields, I was still correct, because I never specified "Only the West". It was common to use two blades for fighting in many parts of Asia at various points in history.

Badgermaster

Educated
I posted a link earlier to a thread that listed various examples of such.

That said, I do apologize if I caused any confusion. Outside of gaming, Sword & Shield is considered a two-weapon style, while, as you say, the generally accepted gamer usage of "dual wielding" refers to two non-shield weapons. I should've been clearer in my earlier post.

Murk

Arcane
you guys are talking about rpgs where magic and monsters are common place but being slightly more skilled in swordsmanship (enough so to use another weapon in your off hand) is totally out of the question?

denizsi

Arcane
Blame it on R.A.Salvatore and the ninja-cartographer virtual-LARPers.

Though still, far-eastern dual wielding in a western setting is just gay. It's gay also in a far-eastern setting when it's japanime style, with lots of faggotic contrast of the tiny and the HUGE.

They hashed this one out fairly recently over at the Sword Forums

Fairly recently? The last post from that thread is just over three years old:

12-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Badgermaster

Educated
denizsi said:
Blame it on R.A.Salvatore and the ninja-cartographer virtual-LARPers.

Though still, far-eastern dual wielding in a western setting is just gay. It's gay also in a far-eastern setting when it's japanime style, with lots of faggotic contrast of the tiny and the HUGE.

Agreed. Putting eastern-style weapons and fighting styles in a game meant to emulate medieval Europe is retarded, and has always bugged me.

And don't even get me started on anime-style combat... That shit'll give me an aneurysm.

However, lots of fantasy settings are neither explicitly western or eastern, so it's possible some styles reminiscent of the East -could- fit. I have no idea what kind of take PB will have with this new, non-Gothic setting, though.

They hashed this one out fairly recently over at the Sword Forums

Fairly recently? The last post from that thread is just over three years old:

12-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Believe it or not, that is "fairly recently" for those guys. That forum tends to have a long memory. More recent inquiries there about two-weapon fighting have been linked back to that particular thread.

denizsi

Arcane
Speaking about different fight styles in different settings; in Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind (the comic; I haven't seen the anime), which is a post-apoc post-sci-fi fantasy (in a similar way to VD's AoD), there is a healthy balance of depiction of combat with such different styles, including eastern type dual wielded curved swords and western type straight long swords (and their respective styles) and none of it comes forward as ridiculous or gay. A good example to what you just said. I just wanted to point out.

It's also a good comic series.

Badgermaster

Educated
denizsi said:
Speaking about different fight styles in different settings; in Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind (the comic; I haven't seen the anime), which is a post-apoc post-sci-fi fantasy (in a similar way to VD's AoD), there is a healthy balance of depiction of combat with such different styles, including eastern type dual wielded curved swords and western type straight long swords (and their respective styles) and none of it comes forward as ridiculous or gay. A good example to what you just said. I just wanted to point out.

It's also a good comic series.

That's cool. I'd only ever heard of the anime, I never realized it was also a comic.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

LastAngryBat

Novice
If a shield counts as a weapon, then the Celts were Triple-Weilding!!!!

Anime ninjas haven't got shit on the celts

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They have androgynous bishonen cuteness and generic animu features that make them look like a clone army. Celts didn't have that. If a Celt gets into trouble who is going to fanfic him out of it? Leonidas? No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom