Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Todd Howard's favourite colour

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://au.insider.ign.com/articles/882/882695p1.html">Fallout 3 Executive Producer Todd Howard has spilled his guts at IGN</a>. They put him in their "hot seat" and quizzed him with some seriously tough and difficult questions. Here's one:
<br>
<blockquote><b>IGN: Does your work say anything about you?</b>
<br>
<br>
Todd Howard: That I've never really grown out of my love of the 100 hour adventures of my Apple 2 days. The ones I would go to bed dreaming about solving. I crave moments of discovery in games, the moments of "can I do this?" and the sense that I have found something no other player has. I want my games to have that. I want length and depth and hint books that can kill a child if dropped on them.</blockquote>
<br>
Yeah that's pretty much the only interesting question. The rest pretty much suck along the lines of "What's your favourite colour?". Okay, so they don't actually ask that but they do ask when the last time he became drunk was. It's important information to know when you're interviewing an Executive Producer of an upcoming computer game.
<br>
<br>
If you want something more interesting. <a href="http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2008/06/17/interview_fallout_3_and_the_problem_with_armageddon.html">Read his interview over on the guardian</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>In what ways does modern console technology allow you to create amore compelling post-apocalyptic landscape?</b>
<br>
<br>
It may sound stupid, but just the sheer amount of stuff we can put on the screen. I'm a firm believer that better graphics make a better experience, and we really stress it. We sweat all the small graphic details. It's a mix of scale with small details. Like a giant destroyed building that casts a great silhouette from the distance, but when you get up close, you can see how decayed and chipped away the concrete is. You can almost smell the dust when you stick your face in it. You really need both, the micro and macro details to pull it off, and the latest hardware really helps that.</blockquote>
<br>
BUY IT! IT'S SHINY! And if that's not enough for you... <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/prestitial.aspx?r=%2fxplay%2fvideos%2f26453%2fFace_Time_Fallout_3s_Todd_Howard.html">You can watch Todd Howard on X-Play</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Brother None actually works for these people?</a>
<br>

Balor

Arcane
Well, a bit of shine and polish sure can help. But no matter how much shine and polish you will apply to a turd...

Lurkar

Scholar
The problem with his graphics statement is that Bethesda can't even fucking do that. I'll agree that good graphics CAN bring a lot to the game, but Oblivion wasn't good fucking graphics. It was pure shit.

Work on your ATMOSPHERE first, THEN develop the graphics to support it. Because that's what graphics are there for - to bring up the atmosphere.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Suchy said:
picard-facepalm.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The art direction on Oblivion wasn't that hot, but shite compared to Morrowind. The animation was pure shite for both games though.

Though somewhere deep inside I still want fallout 3 to be awesome, I know it will just be like those two games. Shallow, boring and ultimately a lost opportunity. I'm kinda curious on how the art direction and animation will turn out though. (they allready fucked up on the sound department, but that's another story)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
From what I've seen, Fallout 3 has better art direction than Oblivion did, but it doesn't look like a Fallout game.

Does that make sense?

crakkie

Arcane
Wow.
Do you have an underlying message in Fallout 3 - apocalyptic movies and books usually do...
Different people sacrifice different things to survive, and blowing them into bloody-chunks is often hilarious.

A truly profound and gifted creative talent, one clearly worthy to helm the sequel of such a franchise.

Relayer71

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
<a href="http://au.insider.ign.com/articles/882/882695p1.html">Fallout 3 Executive Producer Todd Howard has spilled his guts at IGN</a>. They put him in their "hot seat" and quizzed him with some seriously tough and difficult questions. Here's one:
<blockquote><b>IGN: Does your work say anything about you?</b>

Todd Howard: That I've never really grown out of my love of the 100 hour adventures of my Apple 2 days.

They had 100 hour adventures back then? I don't think games took 100 hours to be made.

Still, from reading that in-depth interview I feel like I know old Toddy (that's what he likes his close buds to call him) inside and out.

Jason

chasing a bee
Watch out, people. Kharn and DU are going to start whipping out their bar graphs and pie charts about who has the most hits per month etc. This could get ugly. Evacuate the women and dumbfucks first.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dementia Praecocks said:
So did war change or do you simply suck at it?

:hate:

Kharn and DU are going to start whipping out their bar graphs and pie charts about who has the most hits per month etc.

Why?

Everyone already knows NMA totally has more hits.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trash said:
The art direction on Oblivion wasn't that hot, but shite compared to Morrowind. The animation was pure shite for both games though.

Though somewhere deep inside I still want fallout 3 to be awesome, I know it will just be like those two games. Shallow, boring and ultimately a lost opportunity. I'm kinda curious on how the art direction and animation will turn out though. (they allready fucked up on the sound department, but that's another story)

Proverbius said:
The codex is trapped in temporal stasis in which hope for fallout 3 by troika is still strong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom