Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Leonard Boyarsky Joins the Roundtable

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky

<a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower's</a> RPG Roundtable series is nearing godlike proportions with the addition of <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7623">Leonard Boyarsky</a>. Read on for this former Fallout art director's thoughts on <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=343.0">characters</a>, <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=342.0">story</a>, and <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=330.0">setting</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>My first experience in world creation, Fallout, started from an art standpoint. I was heavily immersed in retro 40's and 50's art with a twisted edge at the time (including but not limited to things like the original Batman movie, the City of Lost Children, Brazil, the Hard Boiled comic book) and I became intrigued with the thought of basing our look on the aesthetics of the world of the future as envisioned by the culture of the 1940's and 50's. Once that initial vision was agreed upon, we knew it needed to bleed through the entire feel of the world.
<br>
<br>
On Arcanum, it definitely started from a more intellectual level. We became enthralled with the idea of an industrial revolution upending a Tolkien style world. That initial inspiration immediately started us thinking about how the politics of a world like that would play out, and how that would inform our quests, NPCs, storylines, etc. While the early heavy industrial machinery look was very inspirational to us from an artistic standpoint, it also became a fitting thematic element as it was literally crushing the magic out of the world.
<br>
<br>
The challenge on Vampire:Bloodlines was different – we were working with an already established world, so our approach was to drill down to what we felt was the essence of that world, what intrigued people about it, and those elements were the ones we then focused on building the world around.</blockquote>

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
He's working for Blizzard on an unannounced project, possibly Diablo 3 or their next MMORPG.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ander Vinz said:
Is he working on Diablo 3 or what?

He never says. I knew he was working on an unnanounced project back in the day they still had 3 unnanounced projects (D3, SC2 and MMO) and all he'd say right after SC2 was announced to me was that he isn't working on SC2.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's working on the MMO. It'd be poetic, what with Jason working on FOOL and Tim Cain on the Carbine MMO.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Can you actually link to where he said that and not just general link like where the forums are or the start of the thread.

Depressinator

Novice
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Can you actually link to where he said that and not just general link like where the forums are or the start of the thread.

It's right in the first post!

Balor

Arcane
Well, it would be ironic if he'll be working on Diablo 3... I mean, that is likely to mean that D3 would be more of an RPG then Fallout 3.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Balor said:
Well, it would be ironic if he'll be working on Diablo 3... I mean, that is likely to mean that D3 would be more of an RPG then Fallout 3.

I don't think an artist in any position can change D3 into an RPG. He's an artist, not a designer.

In fact, Gary Platner, one of the lead artists of Fallout and typically one of those people we all forget about despite their major contribution, has been working for Blizzard for ages. Diablo II, Warcraft III and WoW are the feathers in his cap. Nice guy.

Ausir

Arcane
He was a designer on Fallout and at Troika in addition to being an artist, but at Blizzard he's just an artist.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
but at Blizzard he's just an artist.
of course, they wouldn't want his heretic rpg ideas to mess with their perfect clickclick-kill-loot-w00t! world...

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Brother None said:
Ander Vinz said:
Is he working on Diablo 3 or what?

He never says. I knew he was working on an unnanounced project back in the day they still had 3 unnanounced projects (D3, SC2 and MMO) and all he'd say right after SC2 was announced to me was that he isn't working on SC2.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's working on the MMO. It'd be poetic, what with Jason working on FOOL and Tim Cain on the Carbine MMO.
Thanks for the answer.

Ausir said:
at Blizzard he's just an artist.
An awesome one. Love his vampire works.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I wouldn't brag about being being part of the Warcraft 3 or WoW art team. Then again I got the feeling that most of the fail was on the part of weeaboo furfag Samwise "lol i leik pandas" Faggotron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom