Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Accepting Mass Effect as the art it has always been

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect

<a href="http://rpgcodex.net/php-bin/admin/newnews.php">Here's an interview with BioWare's Matt Atwood on play.tm</a>. For some reason Firefox is having issues letting me flick back and forth between the interview and posting this news item, but here's a quote I eventually managed to cull:
<br>
<blockquote><b>What was your take on the controversial Fox News coverage of Mass Effect's sexual content? Will romance play a part in future BioWare titles, and do you think the mass media has 'issues' when it comes to interactive entertainment?</b>
<br>
<br>
If it is suitable for the game, then we will definitely add romance to future games. I think that video games are starting to become accepted as the art form that they have always been, but there is still a need to educate some mass media outlets. Keep in mind that Mass Effect is an 'M' rated title, with themes that really appeal to our core audience of 18 - 35 year olds.
<br>
<br>
<b>How is Dragon Age progressing?</b>
<br>
<br>
It is really looking great. I played a build just recently and the team is really making huge strides. We're looking forward to showing it off soon.</blockquote>
<br>
They must've gotten the bloom in early on Dragon Age.

MetalCraze

Arcane
with themes that really appeal to our core audience of 18 - 35 year olds.

:lol: yeah that's why the game contains so many retarded things like the whole race of retards and an EXTREME 2-dimensional commander with an intelligence of a door and was released on consoles where apparently most people are 18-35. yeah sure.

I think that video games are starting to become accepted as the art form that they have always been, but there is still a need to educate some mass media outlets.

not your games, guys, not your. but it is good that you're deciding to provide mass media with curative fluids as well. Bioware - the new Bethesda.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Except nobody steals a painting by taking a picture of it.

aries202

Erudite
DU

I'm sorry - but the link to the interview jusr redirects us back here...

And you can enever too much bloom :D - oh, the irony....

Chefe

Erudite
Firefox? Weak. If you want to stick it to the man, or whatever you young'uns are calling it these days, then use Opera.

Fez

Erudite
Only in his dreams is this true. It's still seen as a poor cousin at best.

Cinema, photography and other forms grew up and were accepted as art. There is a good reason that games have struggled for acceptance. Games are still stuck in puberty at best, despite so many desperate attempts to ape cinema to give it an air of legitimacy and maturity. It may be "art" by some definition, but it's art in the sense that the 13 year old kid drawing penises all over his school books is art.

There are a few damn fine attempts and many simple but fun games though. Perhaps one day when the "stupid games for stupid people" :)Chefe:) phase burns out then there will be a revolutionary period and the genre will bloom.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Debating whether games are an art form is as pointless as debating about whether viruses are living beings. Both are very broad terms with very loose concepts (art and life) and whatever conclusion is reached will change absolutely nothing.

Fez

Erudite
Marcelo21 said:
whatever conclusion is reached will change absolutely nothing.

You could say the same for nearly all debates online and many face-to-face too. :D

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect: once in 50.000 years a race of robots returns to our galaxy to wipe out every single life form they will find without any reason - just for lulz. and then they rust for another 50.000 just to return and have some lulz again.

this is probably the best backstory bioware has done. evar!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
skyway said:
Mass Effect: once in 50.000 years a race of robots returns to our galaxy to wipe out every single life form they will find without any reason - just for lulz. and then they rust for another 50.000 just to return and have some lulz again.

this is probably the best backstory bioware has done. evar!

That's what they call art.

If any game is art, then it's PST.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Big Lebowski is art, too.

[also, movies actually *are* accepted as an art-form, and there are pretty many indie movies which are quite artsy]

Pegultagol

Erudite
Alpha Centauri I could consider as an art as a whole, but it was Brian Reynolds channeling his best Sid Meier and putting his name on the box. There should be some particular person that the art refers to.

BearBomber

Scholar
I though that game can be art only if it freatures shitty abstract graphic that consists of sqares and circles, but have deep meaning explained in ReadMe or on the forum.

Murk

Arcane
art's a cool guy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom