Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ray on Mass Effect 2, PC vs XBox interfaces

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/joystiq-interview-biowares-ray-muzyka-talks-mass-effect-2-dlc/">Ray Muzyka of BioWare has spoken to Joystiq about the future of Mass Effect</a>, looking at the Moon and console vs PC interfaces:
<br>
<blockquote><b>It seems that a higher percentage of video games (as compared to movies, TV) skew towards a sci-fi universe. Why do think that is?</b>
<br>
<br>
In science fiction a key concept is exploration and discovery. This really lends itself to interactive entertainment as it is a more personal experience. In other words, the audience is taking the role of director and the star, which means they are both discovering and shaping the experience. A good example for me personally was the first time I set foot on Luna, the Earth's moon, in Mass Effect. I looked up in the sky and could see the Earth - that was a pretty incredible experience; it made me feel like I was part of the NASA Apollo program!</blockquote>
<br>
I'll leave it up to you to figure out how "taking the role of director and the star" equates to "I looked up in the sky and could see the Earth".
<br>
<blockquote><b>The new interface is pretty PC-centric, how much of it will you be able to roll into Mass Effect 2?</b>
<br>
<br>
Each platform has inherent strengths. The Xbox 360 control is really strong in the fact that it is very easy and intuitive to control. Comparing the Xbox 360 version versus the PC, we are looking at two different audiences with different expectations and needs. That being said, I really like what the team has done with the PC version and we are looking at implementing mechanics in future Mass Effect products where they make sense. However, we'll continue to support our fans on both PC and Xbox 360 in the future, so both SKUs need, and will have, different core interfaces.</blockquote>
<br>
WARNING! "Trying to appease everyone with answer" situation detected! WARNING!
<br>
<br>
If you want to see Ray in the flesh, <a href="http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18887">head on over to gamevideos.com and watch 1up's interview with him</a>. If that's not enough Ray for you though, <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3667/a_new_future_under_ea_ray_muzyka_.php">head on over to GamaSutra for their in-depth interview about the future of BioWare</a>. Seems Ray is this week's most popular guy.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blues News</a>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ray said:
The Xbox 360 control is really strong in the fact that it is very easy and intuitive to control.

in an action game? what?

Ray said:
we are looking at two different audiences with different expectations and needs.

does it mean that Mass Effect for PC won't be a dumbed down collar-grabbing shoot-fest with 2 dimensional characters and stereotypical dialogues?

easychord

Liturgist
Engaging authentic gritty sci-fi hyperbole filter goggles.

Ray Muzyka said:
In science fiction a key concept is exploration and discovery.

We really like Star Trek here at Bioware. None of that Next Generation stuff though, they spoiled it a bit with that, just the original series with a bit of 24 to make it more modern.

Ray Muzyka said:
The Xbox 360 control is really strong in the fact that it is very easy and intuitive to control.

We made Mass Effect as a conventional third person shooter so as not to confuse the 360 gamers too much or make them learn anything new. I'm not really suggesting that a controller with 16 buttons and 2 analog controllers is more intuitive than a mouse.

Chefe

Erudite
was playing it just the other day and it's shaping up pretty marvelously

I'd like to become a developer just so I could say things like "I was just playing it the other day and, goddamn, it sucks donkey balls. The whole thing is not fun and stupid. It needs to be completely reworked. I wasn't really playing it so much as I was drudging through the swamp of my own dumbfuckery. I wouldn't even let my dog touch this shit."

In science fiction a key concept is exploration and discovery. This really lends itself to interactive entertainment as it is a more personal experience.

I don't even know what the fuck this means. I do agree that robots and laser-shooting aliens lend themself more towards a personal experience than other settings.

We are working on future installments in the Mass Effect franchise and the team is implementing some very cool stuff that we aren't ready to discuss yet.

Why even bother saying this?

However, we'll continue to support our fans on both PC and Xbox 360 in the future, so both SKUs need, and will have, different core interfaces.

That's good to hear.

We haven't announced any specific plans yet with Mass Effect 2, so other than saying that I love the Mass Effect universe, I'll have to plead the fifth on this one!

You know, as opposed to vehemently hating it's very existence.

That was one shitty interview that told nothing. I still like Mass Effect, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Angler said:
"I was just playing it the other day and, goddamn, it sucks donkey balls. The whole thing is not fun and stupid. It needs to be completely reworked. I wasn't really playing it so much as I was drudging through the swamp of my own dumbfuckery. I wouldn't even let my dog touch this shit."

well you have a chance to do that with your furry rpg now that you are a developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom