Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Alan Miranda/Mysteries of Westgate interview at GameSpy

El Dee

Scholar
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate; Obsidian Entertainment

GameSpy interviews Ossian Studios' CEO Alan Miranda about the upcoming <b>Mysteries of Westgate</b> adventure pack:
<br>
<blockquote><b>GameSpy: One of the best elements of Neverwinter Nights 2 and the first expansion was the interplay between companions and your influence over them. Will Mysteries of Westgate take advantage of this system?
<br>
<br>
Miranda:</b> We definitely have some great banter between our three new companions. Each of them is very different and that contrast clearly comes across in what they have to say to each other and to the player. They can absolutely be influenced and this will have the most significant consequence during a companion's personal subquest. The companions were each done by a separate writer, which is why their characters are quite different from one another. Luke Scull, our lead designer, wrote Mantides, a fallen paladin of Lathander who cares very little about life anymore. Mat Jobe wrote Rinara, a rogue who formerly belonged to the Night Masks and who's always out to get some easy money. Russ Davis wrote Charissa, a battle priestess of Tyr who is staunchly black and white in her views. Those three character types really add a lot of fuel to the fire when it comes to interplay.</blockquote>
<br>
Read the rest of the interview <a href="http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter-nights-2-adventure-pack-mysteries-of-westgate/873407p1.html"> here</a>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

El Dee said:
GameSpy interviews Ossian Studios' CEO Alan Miranda about the upcoming <b>Mysteries of Westgate</b> adventure pack:
<blockquote><b>GameSpy: One of the best elements of Neverwinter Nights 2 and the first expansion was the interplay between companions and your influence over them. Will Mysteries of Westgate take advantage of this system?

Miranda:</b> We definitely have some great banter between our three new companions. Each of them is very different and that contrast clearly comes across in what they have to say to each other and to the player. They can absolutely be influenced and this will have the most significant consequence during a companion's personal subquest. The companions were each done by a separate writer, which is why their characters are quite different from one another. Luke Scull, our lead designer, wrote Mantides, a fallen paladin of Lathander who cares very little about life anymore. Mat Jobe wrote Rinara, a rogue who formerly belonged to the Night Masks and who's always out to get some easy money. Russ Davis wrote Charissa, a battle priestess of Tyr who is staunchly black and white in her views. Those three character types really add a lot of fuel to the fire when it comes to interplay.</blockquote>
Read the rest of the interview <a href="http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter-nights-2-adventure-pack-mysteries-of-westgate/873407p1.html"> here</a>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

Oh WOW a fallen paladin, greedy rogue and evangelistic cleric! I haven't encountered NPCs like that since the first time I encountered DnD and every game since then! Even BG1 had more original character concepts than that. Hopefully this is just either (a) a too-brief summary for the 'special' kiddies reading gamespy, or (b) the characters' 'starting points' pre-influence and they don't want to give away spoilers of how the characters change.

Azrael the cat said:
Oh WOW a fallen paladin, greedy rogue and evangelistic cleric! I haven't encountered NPCs like that since the first time I encountered DnD and every game since then! Even BG1 had more original character concepts than that. Hopefully this is just either (a) a too-brief summary for the 'special' kiddies reading gamespy, or (b) the characters' 'starting points' pre-influence and they don't want to give away spoilers of how the characters change.

Yeah...it seems pretty generic so far, just as everything else we've heard about the module. I'm not expecting much at all out of this, and will likely not under any circumstance purchase it without hearing some seriously good things about it from some informed people (AKA Codexers, ITS people, etc.). The new DRM things doesn't really strike my fancy either, and with Purgatorio looking far more promising, cheaper, and DRM-free...it seems a much better use of my time.

As for your influence point, and the characters having less than generic influence development, my pessimism tells me otherwise. I can easily envision the fallen paladin being influenced either to be "MOAR EVUL!" by evil characters or back to the light side by the good guys, the rogue being turned klepto or Robin Hood in the same manner, and the cleric turned Spiritual Nazi Templar or goatse'd to the ways of relativism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom