Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher Enhanced Edition and console version - new details

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

A Polish gaming blog called <a href=http://GRRR.pl>GRRR.pl</a> <a href=http://grrr.pl/2008/04/30/wiedzmin-edycja-rozszerzona-ekskluzywny-wywiad-dla-grrrpl/>interviewed</a> Maciej Sachmacinski of <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com>CD Projekt</a>, <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher's</a> product manager. He mentioned a few new details concerning the Enhanced Edition of the game, including a new release date (August/September 2008) and a console version.
<br>
<blockquote>Initial works on a console version have been started. The fans have already seen some job announcements for people with experience in porting PC games to consoles. For now, I cannot give you any date. The schedule has not been created yet, and works on it have not progressed enough on it to say when the game will be released.</blockquote>If you know Polish, you can read the rest of it <a href=http://grrr.pl/2008/04/30/wiedzmin-edycja-rozszerzona-ekskluzywny-wywiad-dla-grrrpl/>here</a>.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://grrr.pl/2008/04/30/wiedzmin-edycja-rozszerzona-ekskluzywny-wywiad-dla-grrrpl/">Grrr.pl</A>

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I don't mind a console port as long as it doesn't cause the devs. to dumb the sequel down for the new audience. It's happened to games before, though CD Projekt is a good dev. and doesn't seem like the kind that would do that.

In before skyway bitches about consoles again. :)

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
I don't mind a console port as long as it doesn't cause the devs. to dumb the sequel down for the new audience.

Give up hope right now. A console-targeted sequel that isn't dumbed down is like a subatomic particle that exists in theory but nobody has ever detected.

MasPingon

Arcane
I can't understund how can they dumb down the sequel for consoles. The Witcher already have action combat system, predefined character, no stats, railroading and very often jrpg feeling.So what's the problem? It's still a very good game and it's ok with me, until someone try to make out of it the bastion of oldschool crpgs

Fyz

Scholar
Considering the consolish feel of the game, how it was at the start, and now this 'enhanced' re-release, I can't help but think that the initial PC release was just a beta/product test.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
MasPingon said:
I can't understund how can they dumb down the sequel for consoles. The Witcher already have action combat system, predefined character, no stats, railroading and very often jrpg feeling.So what's the problem? It's still a very good game and it's ok with me, until someone try to make out of it the bastion of oldschool crpgs

There are all sorts of ways that they can dumb down the game for consoles. Inventory and alchemy are both way too complicated for consoles. The interface, in general, has to be entirely rebuilt to work with a controller. Also, what do you mean by no stats? There's the skill system and that is probably also considered, ahem, "inaccessible".

Zappa said:
It will be a port, not a sequel, kaz

Yes but what will the sequel be like when it comes out in a few years and is targeted at XBox 360 owners as the lead audience?

Texas Red

Whiner
MasPingon said:

The combat is a lot more complicated and calling it simply "action" does not give it justice. First, my good sir, you forget that you can't really play TW without alchemy. I can imagine a consoletard going batshit insane because his Geralt isn't able to beat everything for some reason. Compare TW to other RPGs and you will notice that you actually fight a lot less and the number of enemies during any encounter is quite small.

Recall chapter 2: you did very little fighting in there, most of the action consisted of talking to be people, taking sides, investigating and sometimes picking a fight with an enemy or two. The main attraction of TW is the listed above and frankly I believe such subtle features are beyond the consoletards who worship God of War. Do you think Xboxers would get a boner from the mentioning of C&C?

obediah

Erudite
Jesus, another delay for the enhanced edition ( and a big one too! )? Oh well, I'm excited about the opportunity to start throwing the 'vapourware' word around for a released game!

MasPingon

Arcane
doctor_kaz said:
There are all sorts of ways that they can dumb down the game for consoles. Inventory and alchemy are both way too complicated for consoles. The interface, in general, has to be entirely rebuilt to work with a controller. Also, what do you mean by no stats? There's the skill system and that is probably also considered, ahem, "inaccessible".

Inventory was just bad. It wasn't complicated, it was unreadable. As for alchemy, I didn't heve any problem with it. I didin't even care what I have had in inventory - you just click one button and voila(!), it's ready. On the other hand if I would care, it could be pain in the ass for me. What I mean by no stats is that you are just buying the skill(like a next punch), it isn't even a skilltree.

TWD - the only potion you need on medium difficult level is um, swallow. Sometimes a cat potion is also usefull. Untill they fix a difficult level alchemy is not a must have

hiver

obediah said:
Jesus, another delay for the enhanced edition ( and a big one too! )?
Nah, its perfect. i should be able to get a job and save enough cash to buy it just about until then.

Arem

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
The combat is a lot more complicated and calling it simply "action" does not give it justice.
Yeah. You just have to wait until the sword icon changes and then click&repeat.
First, my good sir, you forget that you can't really play TW without alchemy.
Oh please. Normal difficulty is ridiculously easy and the hard difficulty is hard only at the beginning. You don't need alchemy at all.
Compare TW to other RPGs and you will notice that you actually fight a lot less and the number of enemies during any encounter is quite small.
Makes me wonder if we played the same game.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Re: The Witcher Enhanced Edition and console version - new d

Ausir said:
... including a new release date (August/September 2008)...

Damn! I wonder what the hell's taking so long. Eh, at least they're committed to the project, can't really ask for more.

Fez

Erudite
It's like they are in a game of Chicken with GSC Game World to see who can delay their expansion the most before their nerve will crack and cause them to finally release it.

Riso

Arcane
Maybe now the Witcher will gain a combat system that doesn't suck.

Fez

Erudite
I don't see them making many major changes that way. The system as it is would work well enough on consoles.

Dandelion

Novice

fastpunk said:
Ausir said:

Damn! I wonder what the hell's taking so long. Eh, at least they're committed to the project, can't really ask for more.
Yes..they're committed to the project: the x360 project...and that's exactly why this is taking so long :roll:

Two weeks ago I said something about buying the witcher *again* in the form of the enhanced version to support the good work of the developers (especially in terms of the "new gen" RPGs, where Oblivion shouldn't be taken into consideration)..well, I just changed my mind. It's pretty sure an eventual sequel will be dumbed down and you know it..We will probably even have an "exclusive" console release and than a PC version..wtf: one-two millions of copies sold wasn't enough? :?

Dandelion

Novice

BillyOgawa said:
Dandelion said:
It's pretty sure an eventual sequel will be dumbed down and you know it..We will probably even have an "exclusive" console release and than a PC version..wtf: one-two millions of copies sold wasn't enough? :?
Don't stop there! Tell us what happens next!
:lol: Ok, the "exclusive version" maybe was too much :) (at least for now), but there's plenty of examples about great pc series partially or totally ruined thanks to the "console standards"..

fastpunk

Arbiter

Dandelion said:
fastpunk said:
Ausir said:

Yes..they're committed to the project: the x360 project...and that's exactly why this is taking so long :roll:

How many developers go back to fix the errors they made? Lets be fair, the list of improvements for the Enhanced Edition is pretty substantial. If that isn't commitment then I don't know what is.

NiM82

Prophet
I don't understand how a potential 360 release is somehow destroying everything Witcher related, forever.

It depends how well it does on the 360. If the 360 sales obliterate the PC sales, chances are they will do what everyone else is doing and develop primarily for the larger console audience, then simply port the dumbed down console version to the PC "as is" rather than redevelop it (costs $$$) for the less profitable platform.

I can't see the crafting/alchemy system being a turn on for the ADD console kids - chances are stuff like that will get cut in way of improving the action mechanic. I'd rather see them milking it for premium content, like Bio/NWN, than pursue consoles, but you can't really blame them for wanting to make a quick buck.

pkt-zer0

Scholar

Go ahead and bitch about CDProjekt when they're developing a console-targeted, likely-dumbed down sequel to The Witcher. But not when they could possibly make a possibly console-targeted sequel based on the possible success of an X360 port that was just announced. It's not like they have a horrible track record, either.

Dandelion said:
Two weeks ago I said something about buying the witcher *again* in the form of the enhanced version to support the good work of the developers (especially in terms of the "new gen" RPGs, where Oblivion shouldn't be taken into consideration)..well, I just changed my mind. It's pretty sure an eventual sequel will be dumbed down and you know it..We will probably even have an "exclusive" console release and than a PC version..wtf: one-two millions of copies sold wasn't enough? :?
How about supporting the good work of the developers, i.e., the PC enhanced version, and not supporting the eventual dumbed down sequel?
I mean, with your logic, I sure as hell wouldn't have gone anywhere near Fallout 1/2 if I suspected that'd lead to this.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
NiM82 said:
I can't see the crafting/alchemy system being a turn on for the ADD console kids - chances are stuff like that will get cut in way of improving the action mechanic.
Right, because everybody that owns a console is a fucking dumbass kid with ADD. :roll: When are the pc elitists going to grow out of this dumbass mentality? Plenty of people that play on consoles are, believe it or not, intelligent people that can enjoy a good game with a gameplay feature that's complex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom