Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review ToEE pimped by GamePlanet

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

<a href="http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/">GamePlanet</a> serves up a <A href="http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Reviews/2619.html">positive review</a> of <a href="http://www.greyhawkgame.com">Temple of Elemental Evil</a>, giving it <b>4/5 fisty things</b>. They give props to the combat, dungeons, alignment stuff, and so on, while saying it might be a difficult game for newbies to learn. Here's a snip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Once you start adventuring proper some of the features and short falls of the game become apparent. In the first instance there is the character interface. This is bought up by left clicking on the character to select them and then right clicking to pull up a wheel overlay for some basic functions which drill down further more options by creating a further layer of spokes in the wheel. At first this can be a bit awkward to get the hang of and in the heat of battle you can sometimes find yourself selecting the wrong options. The amount available can be bewildering as well. With the desire to stay true to the original game rules players can not only attack, there is also faint, blocking and tripping options to name but a few. The amount of options also means that the wheel gets so big that you can?t see all of it on screen without readjusting the viewing area.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Or you can <i>hold right click</i> on the wheel and drag it. I still prefer words to icons I have to learn what they mean for what I want to do during my turn.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this on <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=286">the Atari forums</a>.

Voss

Erudite
Options are a bad thing, and are just bewildering and confusing?

Feh.

I haven't really tried out *fainting* yet.
Somehow I doubt its an effective tactic.

:wink:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Voss said:
Options are a bad thing, and are just bewildering and confusing?

Feh.

I haven't really tried out *fainting* yet.
Somehow I doubt its an effective tactic.

:wink:

Who said anythin about FAINT?

feint
noun a deceptive or pretended blow, thrust, or other movement, especially in boxing or fencing: a brief feint at the opponent's face.n a mock attack or movement in warfare, made in order to distract or deceive an enemy.

verb [no obj., with adverbial of direction] make a deceptive or distracting movement, especially during a fight: he feinted left, drawing a punch and slipping it.n [with obj. and adverbial of direction] pretend to throw a (punch or blow) in order to deceive or distract an opponent: ‘You would, would you?’ said Bob, feinting punches back at them.

ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from French feinte, past participle (used as a noun) of feindre ‘feign’.

GreenNight

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Who said anythin about FAINT?
Emphasis mine
Saint_Proverbius said:
<blockquote>With the desire to stay true to the original game rules players can not only attack, there is also faint, blocking and tripping options to name but a few. The amount of options also means that the wheel gets so big that you can?t see all of it on screen without readjusting the viewing area.</blockquote>

Going back to play it.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
The spoke-wheel analogy is probably the best thing I've heard to describe TOEE's menus to the non-informed. Of course, the true fact is that they're cascading pull-out pie menus dammit! What's with all this "radial"-this and "context-sensitive" that - they're obviously not context sensitive if they're cascading! Geez, learn some HCI vocabulary people! (This mistake, btw, is also a good way to spot a bad review - this one gets top marks for the clever analogy alone).

Oh, and the game. My brother blasted through it a couple of times and gave me his copy - based on his accounts I'm waiting for a patch before I play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom