Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview An interview with Vince D. Weller

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

We asked Vince D. of Iron Tower Studios a few questions about founding your own indie game studio. Here's a piece:<blockquote>I've started with the setting, main story overview, and major design elements (character system, combat, multiple ways to handle quests, non-linearity, etc). I didn't do all the quests or ways to solve them, of course. I'm talking about the concept phase here. For example, one way to keep the main quest non-linear is to have multiple factions interested in it. These factions shouldn't want the same thing as that would make your choice of a faction less important. So, they should want different things which would give you different reasons to pursue the main quest and would require you to make very different decisions once you are at the end of your journey. At the same time you can't be sent to several different directions at once, so your final destination should be able to offer and support different outcomes, etc. In other words, you develop the frame of a game first and then fill it in with the actual content.</blockquote>

Amasius

Augur
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, I found it already on the frontsite. Nothing really new for those who've followed the project except maybe the 10-12k $ VD has spent so far for his baby.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looking forward to this. Hope it sells and they get paid for the work :?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Great interview! Gives good insight into the process of making a indie game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From the other thread:

"Well, it didn't really fit the setting, imo. Besides, I was concerned that finishing people you actually do want dead would become tedious. Not to mention that death animations don't work well with a non-lethal combat system.

Right now most combat encounters are lethal, but every now and then you'll be given a chance to spare your opponent (when it can actually lead to something interesting). Similarly every now and then you won't be killed (see the raiders quest in our "let's play" thread), if that makes sense and fits the situation."

PS. You've seen the combat videos, right? Thrown spear death animation? I hope you didn't think that that guy would get up, pull the spear out of chest, and walk away like nothing happened.

Morbus

Scholar
Amasius said:
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, I found it already on the frontsite. Nothing really new for those who've followed the project except maybe the 10-12k $ VD has spent so far for his baby.
He'd said that already, so nothing really new. Still, a lot of fun reading it :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
And don't forget that it does contain some educational value for people wanting to become inde devs one day, too. Like the guy who interviewed VD here [*hint hint*] :wink:

cardtrick

Arbiter
Hey, this was a really nice interview. It was great to get a behind-the-scenes look at how Vince and ITS do what they do, and of course especially interesting for all of us wannabe indie game developers.

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
From the other thread:PS. You've seen the combat videos, right? Thrown spear death animation? I hope you didn't think that that guy would get up, pull the spear out of chest, and walk away like nothing happened.
I was too busy thinking how cool the animation was, so I didn't really stop to think about the implications. :P

Maybe in another game, then?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jora said:
Vault Dweller said:
From the other thread:PS. You've seen the combat videos, right? Thrown spear death animation? I hope you didn't think that that guy would get up, pull the spear out of chest, and walk away like nothing happened.
I was too busy thinking how cool the animation was, so I didn't really stop to think about the implications. :P

Maybe in another game, then?

I guess most probably in one of the many other games that Iron Tower will make on its quest to spread the sacred word of the holy Choice and Consequence.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Lestat said:
JarlFrank said:
And don't forget that it does contain some educational value for people wanting to become inde devs one day, too. Like the guy who interviewed VD here [*hint hint*] :wink:
World War II RPG?

Not as the first title I have in mind. The first one should be a bit simpler to realize, more classical fantasy... but not really, actually. I already have a concrete idea. The title of this would be "Path of Sacrifice" and I already have a stroy in mind. I should probably start to write down my concepts and post them here. Maybe I can attract some guys with programming talent, who knows.

Knowing the title, you can probably guess that the game won't have your straightforward "kill teh evil guyz" plot and touch on philosophical and spiritual issues a bit. As I said, rough story concept is already there.

Or I could start with that other game idea I have in mind, which would be called "The Beauty of Death". The good thing: VD encouraged me to actually write some of my ideas down and get something rolling. Ideas that you just leave to rot in your brains are wasted.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Thanks for the kind words Vince. :)

And spot on the money about "just doing it".

If you are willing to put in the time, effort and dedication, it happens. Slowly at first, inch by frustrating inch, but then after a while you look back and you say "hey, check how far I've come!". And if you persevere it just starts snowballing. There are so many opportunities, tools and people willing to help out there, if you look for them.

It's a fantastic time to be an indie developer. :D

Pseudofool

Scholar
Really smart set of skills that lead to interesting variations of what is generically termed diplomacy.

You've got my money when it comes out.

Mareus

Magister
Wow... I didn't know VD was behind AoD project :respect:

I know some of these questions may sound silly, but I have never heard about AoD until I got to RPGCodex. Is there an offical site? When is the game comming out? Is it already finished?

I googled a bit, but couldn't find anything. I will buy the game 100%, not because I expect it to be great, but because I believe VD can actually make a career out of this and one day bring the games we have been missing lately. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Todd Howard when the money starts pouring in.

Hory

Erudite
Congratulations for the good questions, JarlFrank. People can learn some things from the interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom