Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Avernum V gets the GameBanshee Treatment

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avernum 5; Spiderweb Software

<a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">GameBanshee's</a> resident Drakensang apologist, Thomas Beekers, put together a <a href="http://gamebanshee.com/reviews/software/avernumv1.php">review</a> of <b><a href="http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html">Avernum V</a></b>, giving it an overall score of 7.0 out of 10.
<br>
<blockquote>The thing with Avernum quests is that they rarely challenge your faculties. Avernum 5 has more quests that require you to puzzle or think a bit, but the majority of quests is solved in the good old Avernum way – by simply going everywhere and walking around every corner on every map. This works to a certain extent – hell, it's probably where Avernum's exploration charm comes from – but when the game gets this long, it starts to be a drag, especially if combat isn't very challenging any more (see below). I was actually glad to see how small the penultimate and last areas were, and how focused the quests were once you're beyond Vahnatai lands. Such relief borders on “it's almost over, yippee”, which is never good.</blockquote>
<br>
In other words, it's a Jeff Vogel game.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>Kharn</b> for the link.

LaDoushe

Scholar
I've only registered Avernum once, so I still think its pretty fun by the time the demo ends. I'm looking forward to the next one.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm looking forward to his NEW game series. Exile/Avernum is getting stale.

Bring on the next Geneforge!

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm sure i'll play Avernum 5 and 6 a couple years from now, but i'm pretty burnt out on his 2 series. Hopefully a new engine or new series will give a new spark to Spider Soft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom