Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Vince D. Weller interviewed at Down the Wall

El Dee

Scholar
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

VD answers questions about cRPG design philosophy and how it relates to <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/">Iron Tower Studio's</a> Age of Decadence in an <a href="http://www.downthewall.com/archive/2008/03/interview-age-of-decadence-developer-says-choice-defines-rpgs/">interview</a> at <a href="http://www.downthewall.com/">Down the Wall</a>.
<br>
<blockquote><b>DtW: How do you get the player involved in telling the story of Age of Decadence? Why is player involvement important?
<br>
<br>
Vince:</b> Because that's his or her story, not mine. I build the framework and lay down the paths and options, set reasons, motivations, perceptions. The rest is up to you, the player. You pick your path, you decide what to do, how, and why, and you even pick your enemies. There is no designated evil boss dude to kill in order to save the world, but there are plenty of people to piss off who will gladly put you on their shit list. I understand that it won't appeal to everyone, of course, but they don't call indie RPGs a niche market for nothing.</blockquote>
<br>
Sounds like a great approach to game development. A number of cRPG enthusiasts, including myself, are eagerly waiting for Age of Decadence's release.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.downthewall.com/">Down the Wall</A>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Claw.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Looks like having his own forum greatly improved his time management. The Game is coming this fall, not two years later.

Lingwe

Liturgist
The thing I always find it difficult to distinguish between is what is a 'choice and consequence' and what is 'multiple solutions to the quest'. E.g suppose you are given a quest to obtain a letter from some person. You have two solutions to complete the quest - talk to them and either bribe/convince/threaten etc them to hand the letter over, or kill them and take the letter from their cold dead body.

However suppose when you read the letter you find that it is actually going to be sent to the leader of some faction explaining some problem or some such thing. You are now faced with the choice of delivering the letter back to the person who asked you to obtain it or to deliver it to it's originally intended recipient.

The second part is obviously a choice and consequence part, but the first one doesn't necessarily have to be. It just allows you to act like a diplomat, or like a murderer. But would you be expected to have a consequence for that as well, or would you be able to get off and explain that it is just "different solutions".

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lingwe said:
It just allows you to act like a diplomat, or like a murderer. But would you be expected to have a consequence for that as well, or would you be able to get off and explain that it is just "different solutions".
In ideal rpg you will piss somebody off by killing the carrier. In Arcanum-like game it will be just "different solution". To think of it, how you obtained the letter doesn't matter. What will you do with it is the point where c&c should kick in.

It's funny how you state
The thing I always find it difficult to distinguish between is what is a 'choice and consequence' and what is 'multiple solutions to the quest'.
and then define these concepts pretty good.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Does it have any consequence that you optained the letter apart from quest reward? Does it have any consequence how you optained the letter?
Will reading the letter itself have any consequences?
Will the choice of providing one or the other with the letter lead to any concequences apart from quest reward?

If you answer every question with "no" the game may have choices but no consequences (if all of it is like the example). The more of the questions you answer with "yes" the more complex the game becomes and the more consequences your actions will have.
In an ideal RPG all of those choices would have consequences. Many of which shouldn't be beneficial, imho.

Andhaira

Arcane
VD needs tostop wasting time giving interviews and start working on the game. The text wouldbe a good place to start; maybe hire a good editor.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Meh, the Rock Paper Shotgun interview was much better. The questions were mostly bland and pretty much asked for obvious responses.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I see no option for a diplomatic solution to the rat problem. Back to the drawing board Mr. Weller!

Disconnected

Scholar
Andhaira said:
VD needs tostop wasting time giving interviews and start working on the game. The text wouldbe a good place to start; maybe hire a good editor.
Irony; the post or the brain behind it? :lol:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Excellent interview, even in spite of a lack of new information regarding the game.

VD said:
What drives us? A lot of things. Riches, glory, possible world domination, but mostly the chicks. I mean, party members of the female persuasion. Everyone knows that girls can’t get enough of indie RPG developers, right? RIGHT?

Priceless!

MetalCraze

Arcane
if VD will sign the game to Akella to be published here I will not buy it evar. because apparently they've contacted VD and if VD agrees this can only mean two things:

- the shittiest translation evar imagined
- the latest starforce to rape my drives

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
if VD will sign the game to Akella to be published here I will not buy it evar. because apparently they've contacted VD and if VD agrees this can only mean two things:

ND has also suggested to publish AoD in Russia. Let's hope for the best.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lestat said:
skyway said:

ND has also suggested to publish AoD in Russia. Let's hope for the best.

yes - ND is a good candidate. we must tell VD to go for it.

Balor

Arcane
Well, unless there would be 'unlocalized' version avalable, I will buy it directly anyway.
Shittest or no shittiest, translated games suck by defintion when compared to original.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Balor said:
Well, unless there would be 'unlocalized' version avalable, I will buy it directly anyway.
Shittest or no shittiest, translated games suck by defintion when compared to original.
ND has a nice habit of releasing the original version along with the localized one (see Dreamfal, Psi-Ops and several other titles). Iron Tower certainly can try negotiating this. If they fail, it's the download version for me.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
ND has a nice habit of releasing the original version along with the localized one (see Dreamfal, Psi-Ops and several other titles). Iron Tower certainly can try negotiating this.
And why would they want it? To sell ten more copies in Russia?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
According to the poll I'm running at AG, almost 75% of gamers in Russia are interested in being able to get original version of games. About 40% are ready to pay more than usual. Only 159 votes have been cast by this moment, but I still think these numbers are saying something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom