Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware founders interviewed at Crispy Gamer

El Dee

Scholar
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

There's an <a href="http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/Interviews/Interview681.aspx">interview</a> at <a href="http://www.crispygamer.com/">Crispy Gamer</a> with <a href="http://www.bioware.com/">Bioware</a> founders <b>Ray Muzyka</b> and <b>Greg Zeschuk</b>. They talk about the company's beginnings and the EA buyout, and briefly discuss <a href="http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/">Baldur's Gate</a> and <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/">Dragon Age</a>. <b>Greg Zeschuk</b> also gives his view on the current state of RPGs:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Crispy Gamer: Role-playing was once declared a "dead" genre overall, though -- what do you have to say about that, let alone the reported demise of other categories like adventures and simulations?
<br>
<br>
Zeschuk:</b> The RPG genre has certainly come a long way, and in fact I think you can see a lot of games in other genres starting to adopt some of the features that make RPGs great. A lot of games these days are starting to put more emphasis on stories, characters, customization, dialogue and all those things that have traditionally been staples of the RPG genre. So we're glad to see that the genre hasn't died, and is in fact starting to gain more and more prominence.</blockquote>
<br>
Or maybe it is vice versa and these other genres have been adopted into RPGs, leading to the watered-down games being currently released?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Brother None</b>
<br>

Andhaira

Arcane
Nope, while i can understand your point thing is its always been other genre's who incorporated rpg elements. Heck, the entire FPS genre was basically derived FROM rpg's.(i.e. Wolfenstien 3d was inspired by Ultima Underworld, eye of the beholder etc)

Radisshu

Prophet
Sadly those FPS-es and adventure games with watered down RPG features often become labeled as pure hardcore RPGs.

Zeros

Novice
Uhm, I think the interview link is not correct, it seems to link to some php-bin admin stuff instead of the interview.

El Dee

Scholar
Zeros said:
Uhm, I think the interview link is not correct, it seems to link to some php-bin admin stuff instead of the interview.
Fixed.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
So is Shattered Steel any good? I've never heard of it before, and there is nothing on it in the game database.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wow.

It actually looks like Crispy Gamer is actively out looking for a reputation as one of the shittiest sites ever.

Basic argumentation in that editorial: I've never seen Fallout 3, but you should love it because Oblivion was great.

What. The. Fuck.

Brother None said:
It actually looks like Crispy Gamer is actively out looking for a reputation as one of the shittiest sites ever.

Basic argumentation in that editorial: I've never seen Fallout 3, but you should love it because Oblivion was great.

I love how he, in addition to that, provides absolutely no reason as to why Oblivion is so awe-inspiring and why "any rational gamer" should see it as a solid piece of work. Great freaking logic CrispyGamer!

Anywho, my current situation really illustrates my point on Oblivion. I'm stuck now with nothing really entertaining or anything to do, which is a bit of a rarity in my life, fortunately. Normally I'd have some sort of productive thing to do or something fun to do, but not tonight. I also happen to have a bit of a craving for some free-roaming action as well. Mercenaries, my first go to choice, is absent. Morrowind is MIA as well, and isn't installed on my laptop. Daggerfall....is just a bitch to work on Vista and dual core processors, even with DOS-Box. But Oblivion is sitting right next to my 360, but I have yet to fire it up. Not out of principle, not out of dislike for Bethesda, not for Codex cred, and not for any reason other than I find it appallingly boring. Kant said hunger is the best sauce, but even with the best sauce, Oblivion still tastes bland and unappealing.

I guess I'm just "an irrational gamer".

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did the guy actually say "any rational gamer"?

That's kinda impressive. I didn't expect a gaming journalist to even know the word "rational" so I'm suitably impressed.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Do you think anyone has told them that the name "Crispy Gamer" is retarded?

Because if not, someone ought to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom