Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News BioWare on steamy girl sex in games

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

<b>Ray Muzyka</b> of <A href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> sits down with <a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/">MTV Multiplayer</a> and <A href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/10/bioware-talks-video-game-romance-in-the-post-sexbox-era/">has a chat</a> about hawt sexxors in games after the overhyped silliness over the content of that lesbian game they made.
<br>
<blockquote><b>Ray Muzyka, General Manager, BioWare:</b> We’re proud of the mature plots that we build into our games. They’re really appropriate for the type of story we’re trying to convey. And romance is part of that. It’s part of life. It’s part of an interaction — a healthy relationship with other people. But it’s optional, too. You don’t have to have romances in "Mass Effect" or in our prior games, but they’re available to you if you want and if you want to progress that part of the storyline. But they’re very tasteful, very appropriate. And they’re certainly appropriate for the level of rating, which, in "Mass Effect"’s case was mature.</blockquote>
<br>
I don't know. I've always thought of romances in CRPGs as incredibly silly things. Love is part of live and such, yeah, but typically when you're running around the world trying to save it from the BIG SUPER BAD GUY, it seems rather silly to stop and court the ladies.
<br>
<br>
ps. More lesbian sex please.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Xerxos

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
[...] it seems rather silly to stop and court the ladies.

That's why these things are optional. I for one, think that it's quite rational to try to get some booty, when you know you could die anytime if you mess up. You know, live to the max, while you still can... :wink:

obediah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't know. I've always thought of romances in CRPGs as incredibly silly things. Love is part of live and such, yeah, but typically when you're running around the world trying to save it from the BIG SUPER BAD GUY, it seems rather silly to stop and court the ladies.

It may be silly, but history shows that it's natural and common. While war has it's share of prostitution and raping, it also spawns a lot of passion and romance.

The immediate problem with CRPG romance is that it's all stupid as hell. Building a romantic relationship over 2-4, 5 minute conversations is not believable. It's all gaming and no immersion.

The bigger problem is that improving CRPG romances is a horrible waste of time and resources. A shit CRPG romance fails because it's shit, but an epic CRPG romance of the ages still fails because no one except Jasede is going to want to give up 12 hours of gameplay to fall in love with a polygon twat that doesn't even have anything graphic enough to jerk off to.

Seconded. And Thirded from the man downstairs.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I didn't like how in Mass Effect they liked teased you the whole game with the romance when I just wanted to fuck. Romances are pretty lame but I can see a lot of faggot nerds wanting it.

Azarkon

Arcane
Love is part of live and such, yeah, but typically when you're running around the world trying to save it from the BIG SUPER BAD GUY, it seems rather silly to stop and court the ladies.

Indeed. But remember what we're dealing with, here - modern fantasy, which sprung from the loins of nerd escapism crossed with Hollywood. There is, in fact, nothing realistic about any of it.

Warden

Arbiter
This is so pathetic.. Muzyka and Zuzika - always talking about their STOORRY DRIVEN GAMES.. WITH SO MANY TALENTED PEOPLE WORKING ON THEM... and bla bla bla.

And then you have lezbijans and empty copy-pasted planets to "explore".
Having so many emo fans it was totally stupid to not include a gay sex scene. Idiots..
Alien lesbians = *vomit*

FireWolf

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
...typically when you're running around the world trying to save it from the BIG SUPER BAD GUY, it seems rather silly to stop and court the ladies.

Why would it have to take forever? Good people should spend the whole game trying to get emotionally attached to that special someone, maybe. But evil people should be fighting the lovers off with sticks, or possibly being fought over by multiple suitors. Chicks dig bad guys, right? And what's wrong with an evil character having a meaningless fling with some floozy with a larger bust size than IQ.

It'd be more interesting if they factored it into the gameplay more fluidly. Usually a romance is tacked in there as a side quest, so rather than having someone get all hot and bothered over your rampant disregard for the human race in general, you have to spend 20 minutes expressing undying devotion despite it being outside of the character you're playing, displaying noble love one minute and slaughtering some peasant for his shoes the next. Hell, it's rare that it's even dependent on CH modifier. You could be hideously bad at communicating and still bed the sophisticated upright whoever, despite there being no reason for it beyond a few well placed key phrases.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The 'romance' stuff is usually pretty dumb but I think sex does have a place in fantasy CRPGs. After all you're typically supposed to be role-playing characters like Conan, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Elric, etc it's part of the whole glamor of it along with saving the world - likable heroes should have style. OK there are also uptight faggots like Aragorn but that's probably why nobody has made a LOTR CRPG.

It's when they get too serious about it (constipation being BioWare's specialty) that it goes wrong. I agree that the Witcher 'sex cards' and Fallout 2 were retarded but they don't put me off those games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm gay."

I'm heterosexual. What's your fuckin' point? I doubt anyone here cares about our sexual preferences. R00fles!

Warden

Arbiter
Volourn said:
I'm heterosexual. What's your fuckin' point? I doubt anyone here cares about our sexual preferences. R00fles!

No, no.. you got it all wrong. Nobody cares about you; sexual preferences are a hot topic. ;)

obediah

Erudite
Warden said:
Volourn said:

No, no.. you got it all wrong. Nobody cares about you; sexual preferences are a hot topic. ;)

The whole store?

Wow, Volly - I'm impressed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Poor, poor Warden. Still fighting the good fight against the evil BIO. You may not defeat the evil beast; but at least you can flame one of their minions. R00fles!

P.S. You are right. I exaggerated. I'm sure a few peons care about sexual preferences. But, those punks are lame so they don't count so my statement still wins.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't know. I've always thought of romances in CRPGs as incredibly silly things.

I think the silliness comes from the juvenile and cliched quality of the romances themselves. In BG2 when my character and Jaheira fall in love, it bore a striking resemblance to some of my middle school romances. In PS:T, the romance between The Nameless One and Annah was a bit cooler because the characters were interesting.

I always liked Troika's philosophy of deep relationships that weren't built around romance, and I think they did a pretty good job in Arcanum with Virgil. I think most people wouldn't be offended by romances and "mature" material if it weren't implemented in such an "immature" fashion.

caliban

Scholar
I'd like to see a game with a romance that actually makes sense. It'd have to be integrated into the story to make the player actually give half a damn about the person the character "loves", but it might be interesting. I think VtM:Redemption tried this approach, but failed.

aries202

Erudite
I think I have said this before, but anyway:

I don't have a problem with Mature themes in games nor do I have a problem with either lesbian or heterosexual sex in a game, espeically if it is part of the game world, and you can choose not to go do down that path if you so choose.

Howewer, it puzzles me that developers (and maybe publishers) seem to think that Mature themes means putting mild or strong sexual content in their games. While it is true that relationsship and sex belong in real adult life, do they really need to be included in an rpg as well?

I'm not a prude, as I've said before. I think it is fine if they are in an rpg game say, but I just feel like sometimes maybe the developers want too much to make games like a real life simulator...

Texas Red

Whiner
aries202 said:
While it is true that relationsship and sex belong in real adult life, do they really need to be included in an rpg as well?

Relationships and sex are not only part of adult lives. Maybe in the magic land of 60-year-old American conservatives 18-year-olds see a nipple for the first time in a textbook. And yes, they need to be included because every other form of art has them. They add relevance and realism and are the most goddamn important aspects of humans. RPGs, as a form of escapism, gets pulled out a huge chunk if you ignore relationships and sex.

Starwars

Arcane
I think romancing and sex definetely do have a place in cRPGs, but it's often a bit misused. Like someone said, it's a bit hard to accept the whole "oh I love thee so much" thing within the scope of a RPG. Those relationships takes a long time to build.

But having romantic interactions without the whole "grand love story", and using them as a means of good character development or just interesting events in their own. I still think the little bit about TNO and Annah biting each other has had the most "fire" in it in any cRPG romance (or whatever ya gonna call it) that I've seen.

The Witcher had it partly right, because some of the interactions were kinda believable in a rather down-to-earth way. Like that one girl you bang in the mill after drinking some wine. A fun event on its own. But the cards are pretty silly of course.
But I mean, even something like that needs to feel consistant within the game itself.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Troika's best take on romance was vampire lesbian love.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom