Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 IS Oblivion with Guns

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Those evil Fallout fans at <a href="http://nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</a> are at it again. They've <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=104">pilfered more magazine scans</a>, this time from <a href="http://www.oxmonline.com/">Official X-Box Magazine</a>. Included though, <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41454">in an interview with Todd Howard</a>*, are some wonderful gems... Including:
<br>
<blockquote>"If you're talking to an enthusiast, there are so many differences, and we feel it's under-selling the game to say it's Oblivion with guns. But when we started talking to more consumer-oriented magazines, we'd have, like, two seconds...and we'd say, 'it's like post-apocalyptic Oblivion with guns.' And they're like, 'Awesome!' To Joe Public, it's mainly first-peron, wide-open game and you get to do what you want. The game it's closest to is Oblivion. So now when someone asks, 'Is it Oblivion with guns?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways.'"</blockquote>
<br>
And those best ways would be...? Oh and darn those "consumer-oriented" bastards!
<br>
<br>
By the way, this was totally stolen from our forums. Thanks <b>Shoelip</b>!
<br>
<br>
*That should satisfy our link quota for Brother None.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Can someone please nuke Bethesda's HQ already?

Looks surprisingly familiar... A SHITLOAD OF CHOICES!

albumpiclz0.jpg

Choices%202.JPG

Section8

Cipher
Heh, if everyone in Fallout is either bald, or wearing a hat, they might avoid the whole moulded plastic headpiece thing Oblivion had going on. Mind you I was pretty partial to Fat Yellow Elvis. Did anyone keep that screenshot?

Black

Arcane
So it's oblivion with guns?
Fucker, this is "news" comments, not "archives"!

TheLostOne

Savant
Anybody see the screens?

WTF did they do to Pip boy? The CHA description is horrible! WTF?

Also:
"And it was here in this blighted land that he learned to live again." Isn't this a direct quote from Mad Max?

I could be wrong, havent seen them in a while.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
TheLostOne said:
Anybody see the screens?

WTF did they do to Pip boy? The CHA description is horrible! WTF?

Also:
"And it was here in this blighted land that he learned to live again." Isn't this a direct quote from Mad Max?

They switched "place" with "land", but other than that its a direct MM2 rip! I'd be angry but I'm just not that surprised. :roll:

Edit: "And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again."

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
The ghoul picture was the worst.
There is something just plain wrong with that picture, it's like a mix of what I thought a ghoul should look like and a zombie from resident evil. :(

TheLostOne

Savant
Meh.

The ghoul picture didn't bother me. They're "feral" so maybe they were affected differently than "normal" ghouls.

The CHA description is from when you're a child and picking your stats so it reads like a childrens book. It's not so awful on second glance.

I still don't like the Pip-boy on the injury screen, but visually the stuff seems okay.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
The ghoul picture didn't bother me. They're "feral" so maybe they were affected differently than "normal" ghouls.

The picture makes me wonder whether Ghouls will simply be reduced to common sewer monsters like the Super Mutants...

hakuroshi said:
I love Todd. He's so cute and honest.

I LUV DA CAKE!!1!

Lumpy

Arcane
Locue said:
TheLostOne said:
Also:

They switched "place" with "land", but other than that its a direct MM2 rip! I'd be angry but I'm just not that surprised. :roll:

Edit: "And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again."
:roll:
It's not that fucking hard to figure out. They had a picture where the Vault Dweller walks into the sunset. The magazine thought the picture looked like Mad Max and decided to reference it in the pic comment. But OMG BETHESDA ARE RIPOFFERS.

denizsi

Arcane
Now that it's confirmed, I propose the use of the phrase "Bethesda's premium Fallout mod for Oblivion" for F3 news posts from now on.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I get to leave for Afghanistan with this being the last Fallout news I read...?

I hope I get killed.

denizsi

Arcane
I wonder if behemoth was "inspired" by somewhere else just like the imp in Oblivion:

comparisongw7.jpg

(image from the NMA thread)

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
denizsi said:
I wonder if behemoth was "inspired" by somewhere else just like the imp in Oblivion

It's not the Behemoth that bothers me the most (he does look like shit - literally - there's no doubt about it, though) ... What truly bothers me is the ghoul's atrociously 'zombiefied' appearance.

On a side note, what the fuck happened to the character creation screen (hopefully, it does appear at the end of the tutorial part) - I do not feel like blindly setting the stats to certain numerical values without having even the slightest idea what influence they have on my character's skills.

52061834ox5nl8.jpg

crakkie

Arcane
He apparently just dismembered a mutant that was wielding a minigun at close range with a little SMG. Critical hits look awfully stupid when you crank up the details.

But you missed the best part:
"The inspiration for Fallout 3's crazy, kinetic death sequences is Burnout's Crash Mode. Just replace greasy car parts with greasy body parts."

Ausir

Arcane
Wilco said:
The picture makes me wonder whether Ghouls will simply be reduced to common sewer monsters like the Super Mutants...

Fallout 3 FAQ:

Will they be NPCs you can interact with or monsters?

Both, actually. Most are used as NPCs you talk and interact with, but there are also other ghouls, the Feral Ghouls, these are more “creature” like, and are aggressive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom