Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review ToEE gently fondled by RPG.net

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

<A href="http://www.rpg.net">RPG.net</a> serves up <A href="http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9753.phtml">their review</a> of <a href="http://www.greyhawkgame.com">Temple of Elemental Evil</a>. The reviewer seems to have loved it, and even compares it to <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a> on a number of occations. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It doesn't set new standards for character interaction, but it does at least meet those standards, unsurprisingly, since these are the same people who set the standards. You will be able to make effective use of Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and the other interaction-based skills. And with 5 characters you make, 3 more character slots for NPCs that can join your group, creatures you can charm, summon, and animate, you can create whatever kind of group you want. Did I mention that when you charm something (which lasts for hours), they stay with you even when you move from map to map? Wandering the halls of the Temple with an ettin, a werewolf, and a troll chieftain as your vanguard is a pretty cool experience. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I was really impressed with the way <i>Charm Person</i> worked in this game. I kept a pirate from a random encounter around with me for several trips to the temple. Of course, it'd wear off and I'd have to recharm him.. But still!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Role-Player</b>!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Glad he liked the game; but I'd rather read RPGCodex's review. That guy is awful.

Shevek

Arcane
I actually find the review fairly comprehensive. Unlike many, the reviewer deals with the games faults by giving very specific examples (I found this refreshing; it seems as if some others like IGN or Gamespot really didnt spend much time with the game by comparison). He also notes both what ToEE did wrong AND right (its VERY effective use of dialog skills) with respect to character interaction instead taking extremist standpoints which tend to prevail in game reviews.

I find it interesting that both reviews from PnP gaming sites (both RPG.net and d20 Mag Rack) have been so resoundingly positive. Certainly, if the non-combat interactions were as bad as some would have you believe, they would be the first to complain. *shrug*

They do need to change those colors a bit though. I had to tone down my monitor's brightness to avoid a headache.

Whipporowill

Erudite
It´s just another fan review - that site post NO official reviews whatseoever, as everything apart from some editorials and such are done by visitors and forum users. Good site though, I usually visit there to check up on pnp - although pnp games seems to get suckier and suckier... blah.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shevek said:
They do need to change those colors a bit though. I had to tone down my monitor's brightness to avoid a headache.

Yup, that's what I was talking about. I found it hard to read, not because of the content of the review, but because of the color scheme and font used. The content was very, very good compared to what most sites give you, though.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Guh, so ugly.

Which isn't that big a deal, I just hit the button in Opera which makes the page go to my style...

Nope, still can't read it.

I can't read something that large which is only split into two paragraphs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom