Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Yet another Fallout 3 preview

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.gameplayer.com.au/>Gameplayer Australia</a> has a <a href=http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/PREVIEWS/PREVIEWGAME/tabid/1484/Default.aspx?CID=b63af243-2989-4d69-ac3c-f929066978ba>new preview</a> of <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com>Bethesda's</a> <a href=http://fallout.bethsoft.com>Fallout 3</a>. It's based on the same demo that the NMA ninjas saw and thus has almost nothing new, except for a new screenshots and some comments by Pete Hines:
<br>
<blockquote>The Super-mutants are humans infected by FEV &#8211; the Forced Evolutionary Virus, designed by the military to adapt humans to survive in the post-nuclear world. Sadly, as well as making them tough, near-immortal and super-strong, it also normally renders them stupid and aggressive. &#8220;Once this virus takes hold it makes you sterile,&#8221; says Hines &#8220;so the only way to continue the race of Super-mutants is to capture people and infect them.&#8221; We can&#8217;t guess where the Behemoth comes from, unless they infected an elephant, but as he&#8217;s carrying a car door as a shield and a fire hydrant on a tree as a club, and is about three stories high, we&#8217;re guessing he&#8217;s not friendly. </blockquote>
<br>
Wonder if the part about FEV being created "to adapt humans to survive in the post-nuclear world" is from Hines or from Gameplayer. Well, at least they're still sterile. You can read the rest of the preview <a href=http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/PREVIEWS/PREVIEWGAME/tabid/1484/Default.aspx?CID=b63af243-2989-4d69-ac3c-f929066978ba>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41133">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whether or not we can add Clint McCredie to the list of retards who don't know shit about Fallout but talk about it anyway.

Although he may already be on the list and I just don't know.

He finds himself in America’s capital, which is the site of the worst damage in the country.
O RLY? Guess there won't be much to explore, then.
I bet there'll be more people living in the capital than in the ruins of LA. Worst damage my ass.

“The first two games were set on the West Coast, so we decided to figure out what’s going on over at the East Coast, what’s been happening in the nation’s capital.
Who cares what's been happening in the bloody capital? It's probably in ruins like the rest of the nation. Oh well, I suppose it's a good thing. If it played in the area of Fallout and FO2 there'd just be more opportunity to shit on canon.

PS:

By the way, how useful would a car door be as a shield weapons anyway? I don't think it's supposed to stop bullets. The fact that you apparently need nuclear weapons to kill a Behemoth implies that its skin is offering more protection than his shield.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
inwoker said:
Ausir said:
Wonder if the part about FEV being created "to adapt humans to survive in the post-nuclear world" is from Hines or from Gameplayer.
difference is?

We've already seen a lot of inaccurate information presented as fact in almost every preview of Fallout 3 so far.

It's amazing how little journalistic schooling these clowns appear to have had, to not even realise the importance of stating what you hear, what you see and what you assume.

The ridiculous way in which they all touted "RAI is improved!" even though no one has seen any proof of actual improvements, only promises.

Claw said:
By the way, how useful would a car door be as a shield weapons anyway? I don't think it's supposed to stop bullets. The fact that you apparently need nuclear weapons to kill a Behemoth implies that its skin is offering more protection than his shield.

Not very useful. That bit of idiocy is a favourite gripe of my fellow ninja SuAside.

I think it works, stylistically, and it's kind of suspension of disbelief just like cops hiding behind doors in action flicks. But yeah, it's not very realistic.

denizsi

Arcane

This bears the ridiculous possibility of hunting down Behemoths to make armor out of their hide.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Sterile? I thought it just 'took a few years to get the juices flowing again'. Remember when Marcus busted that hooker a new hole with his behemoth-sized kronk? Good times had by most.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Brother None said:
Claw said:

Not very useful. That bit of idiocy is a favourite gripe of my fellow ninja SuAside.

I think it works, stylistically, and it's kind of suspension of disbelief just like cops hiding behind doors in action flicks. But yeah, it's not very realistic.
A car door can stop a pistol round but not a rifle round - 7.62 will go through without a problem, not to mention that a FMJ wouldn't even notice that it hit something.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Brother None said:
inwoker said:
Ausir said:
Wonder if the part about FEV being created "to adapt humans to survive in the post-nuclear world" is from Hines or from Gameplayer.
difference is?

We've already seen a lot of inaccurate information presented as fact in almost every preview of Fallout 3 so far.

It's amazing how little journalistic schooling these clowns appear to have had, to not even realise the importance of stating what you hear, what you see and what you assume.

The ridiculous way in which they all touted "RAI is improved!" even though no one has seen any proof of actual improvements, only promises.

So difference is +-1 idiot :))

Hellraiser

Arcane
Lestat said:
flabbyjack said:
Sterile? I thought it just 'took a few years to get the juices flowing again'. Remember when Marcus busted that hooker a new hole with his behemoth-sized kronk? Good times had by most.
It was a joke by MCA.

The female mutants were sterile. Hell you ask the master "did you ask the females?" and after that he realizes he has failed.

Ausir

Arcane
All super mutants are sterile. Because the gametes (reproductive cells) contain only a half of the genome, the FEV, just like it repairs other cells, tries to "repair" the gametes as well, giving them the full DNA sequence and thus making them non-functional.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
*Weeping like a little baby

I just found out that FO3 will have level-scaling, not like Oblivion but form a "other" type...

*Went into autistic mode

Section8

Cipher
I don't think a car door shield is that retarded. It fits perfectly with comic book / movie logic. Or maybe, you know, the logic that says a human being can take several bullets and sleep it off or fix themselves with a couple of injections.

The "everything must be realistic!" crowd shit me almost as much as the "everything must be real-time!" crowd.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Section8 said:
I don't think a car door shield is that retarded. It fits perfectly with comic book / movie logic.

Well, it kind of ceases to fit in the logic when the car doors are huge like they would be on the 1950s era style cars a la Fallout's cars. Supermutants could use them as shields, but normal humans probably shouldn't be able to use them.

Speaking of which, how did the FEV and Supermutants get that far East? The Glow is southern California, as is Mariposa. Supermutants moved East and South after Fallout, so if you want them in a game and a capital, shouldn't it be Mexico City? I can't see them moving so far East, they hit the East coast considering there would be no real tie to getting there. There should be lots of reasons for them to stop and set up shop before they make it that far.

Zomg

Arbiter
Heh, that makes me think what a hilarious opportunity they missed by not showing a post-apocalyptic Mexico that had been previously colonized by 1950's hyper-Americans. They'd have turned all of the Mexican culture into unthreatening kitsch, like putting roller coasters winding around Aztec pyramids and having anti- Spanish language propaganda everywhere.

Section8

Cipher
Well, it kind of ceases to fit in the logic when the car doors are huge like they would be on the 1950s era style cars a la Fallout's cars. Supermutants could use them as shields, but normal humans probably shouldn't be able to use them.

In this case it's a "behemoth" - Bethesda's brilliant idea of making a supersized subpar mutant, because "bigger and harder to kill" is clearly more interesting than any kind of intelligent development.

Speaking of which, how did the FEV and Supermutants get that far East? The Glow is southern California, as is Mariposa. Supermutants moved East and South after Fallout, so if you want them in a game and a capital, shouldn't it be Mexico City? I can't see them moving so far East, they hit the East coast considering there would be no real tie to getting there. There should be lots of reasons for them to stop and set up shop before they make it that far.

Wow, you've missed so much in your absense. I'll summarise for you. Bethesda are essentially writing fan fics transplanting the entire known Fallout world into their own backyard, and no, they're not offering plausible reasons for any of it.

gc051360

Scholar
Wow, you've missed so much in your absense. I'll summarise for you. Bethesda are essentially writing fan fics transplanting the entire known Fallout world into their own backyard, and no, they're not offering plausible reasons for any of it.
Pretty much.

It's odd how Bethesda managed to get rid of all the important stuff, and keep all the stuff that would have made sense to get rid of for an East Coast romp....

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Section8 said:
In this case it's a "behemoth" - Bethesda's brilliant idea of making a supersized subpar mutant, because "bigger and harder to kill" is clearly more interesting than any kind of intelligent development.

Just kill them when you're level 1 so they're easier. :D

Oh yeah, brilliant name on that, too. The creativity of Bethesda is overwhelming.

I'm not really shocked. I wasn't really impressed with how they handle their own IP when it comes time to making a quick buck.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Section8 said:
I don't think a car door shield is that retarded.

What I think is retarded is that he needs a shield at all. He's a super mutant, the biggest one there is (apparently), he don't need no goddamn shield. It just annoys me that they're slightly modifying the Oblivion monsters so that they can go "See! It's not a shield, it's a car door! It's not a club, it's a fire hydrant! It fits the setting! I'm telling ya, it's not an ogre!!!"

Andhaira

Arcane
lulz worthy. willy the game have radiant ai?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom