Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Grrl gamers love The Witcher

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.grrlgamer.com/>Grrlgamer</a> has a review of <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com>CD Projekt's</a> <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>What else can I say, I love this game, everything from the music to the artwork, the conversations and even the sometimes cheesy voice acting, the combat mechanics and the depth of the story. Even Geralt, who is not exactly a friendly character and who I've turned into a drunken poker-addict male slut... he's just great. And it's exactly because in part, he is what you make of him.</blockquote>
<br>
You can read the rest of the review <a href=http://www.grrlgamer.com/review.php?g=thewitcher>here</a>. The site has also published an <a href=http://www.grrlgamer.com/article.php?t=interviewgeralt>exclusive interview</a> with witcher Geralt of Rivia.
<br>
<br>
<b>Update</b>: Grrlgamer also has a <a href=http://www.grrlgamer.com/>witcher-related contest</a>, where you can win a booklet with "The Last Wish", one of Andrzej Sapkowski's witcher short stories.
<br>
<blockquote>To enter this contest, you must PM Didi (either on GS or The GG Lounge) with a creative Witcher-related piece: a photo or screenshot with a funny caption, poem, drawing, short story, even another character interview.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
The contest is open only to users registered at Grrlgamer or GameSpot before the contest started.

Marsal

Arcane
And yes, I did go around doing as many chicks as I could. Your only reward is a little cutscene where everything is reddish and you can just make out Geralt in the background leaning over... something. Then you get the girl's respective card and file it in your journal under the respective character profile. I do find the artwork on them quite beautiful.
You should have quoted this, Ausir! I can't belive you missed this jewel (the reviewer is a female). I want VD and his witty comments back! :twisted:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Why would a girl gamer even care if you can only boik girls in the game? I wouldn't care about playing as a female in a CRPG that includes sex if the CRPG itself is any good. I think you'd have to be pretty insecure to let something like that deter you from playing a game.

psycojester

Arbiter
Personally i'm wondering why any female with any self respect would describe themself as a grrl.

obediah

Erudite
Marsal said:
And yes, I did go around doing as many chicks as I could. Your only reward is a little cutscene where everything is reddish and you can just make out Geralt in the background leaning over... something. Then you get the girl's respective card and file it in your journal under the respective character profile. I do find the artwork on them quite beautiful.
You should have quoted this, Ausir! I can't belive you missed this jewel (the reviewer is a female). I want VD and his witty comments back! :twisted:

Are you 14 by any chance? I can't imagine who else would be so titilated by that quote.

Marsal

Arcane
obediah said:
Are you 14 by any chance?
:roll: Save your pickup lines for ESF, granps.

obediah said:
I can't imagine who else would be so titilated by that quote.
After all the talk of sexism and the portrayal of women in the game, this is not interesting coming from a female gamer?

As for being titillated, I merely recognized the potential for witty comments not used by the, very informative and not interested in lulz, news poster. I guess that makes me 14 and a target for your filthy urges. Oh noes!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
obediah said:
Marsal said:

Are you 14 by any chance? I can't imagine who else would be so titilated by that quote.

I would be.

aries202

Erudite
I urge you all to read the very funny :D interview with Geralt. (yes, it is that funny...)

I think we now can put out the old cliché of 'that's there no women or girls' in gaming. There surely are. As for why grrlgamer likes The Witcher I think they like The Witcher for the same reasons rpgcodex likes this game...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
nuh-uh, they think Geralt's hawt. It's his long animu hair that makes their vulvae moist.

Morbus

Scholar
aries202 said:
I urge you all to read the very funny :D interview with Geralt. (yes, it is that funny...)

I think we now can put out the old cliché of 'that's there no women or girls' in gaming. There surely are. As for why grrlgamer likes The Witcher I think they like The Witcher for the same reasons rpgcodex likes this game...
Yeah, but you would think that Th Witcher, being a male exclusive player character and all, would attrack less attention from female players...

My sister loves the game, but she's kind of stupid so it doesn't really matter.

BTW, she says Geralt's hot, and it's NOT because of the hair. She says it's the butt, the stance and the face. I don't know, I can't see those things...

HotSnack

Cipher
Kudos to them, that was actually one of the better reviews I have read like, evarz. It's been a while since I read a review that's actually details a game, and not just a splooge piece or being dismissive (this of course includes those done by "professional" reviewers too).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah , I thought those girls only played some emo japanese graphical-novel-adventure shit, but they played Witcher and liked it and wrote a solid review, kudos indeed.

dagorkan

Arbiter
aweigh said:
Why would a girl gamer even care if you can only boik girls in the game? I wouldn't care about playing as a female in a CRPG that includes sex if the CRPG itself is any good. I think you'd have to be pretty insecure to let something like that deter you from playing a game.
"Grrl" gamers usually are.

obediah

Erudite
aweigh said:

The knee jerk, enlightened liberal response would be to quote this for truth. And in fact I wouldn't shy away from a movie, book, or adventure game involving a female protagonist with male love interests. RPGs are different though, because the point of an RPG is to become a character that lets me pursue things that are:

1) Of interest to me
2) Not possible or wise to pursue in real life.

Getting filled with dick is of no interest to me and trivial in real life. I have no interest in chasing vag in a CRPG either though, and hate Bioware for getting romance into the short list of RPG components ( almost as much as Square for the mini-game shit).

Ausir

Arcane
obediah said:
The knee jerk, enlightened liberal response would be to quote this for truth. And in fact I wouldn't shy away from a movie, book, or adventure game involving a female protagonist with male love interests. RPGs are different though, because the point of an RPG is to become a character that lets me pursue things that are:

1) Of interest to me
2) Not possible or wise to pursue in real life.

Getting filled with dick is of no interest to me and trivial in real life. I have no interest in chasing vag in a CRPG either though, and hate Bioware for getting romance into the short list of RPG components ( almost as much as Square for the mini-game shit).

You can avoid sex in The Witcher.

Dark Matter

Prophet
You can avoid romances in Bioware games as well. Yet that doesn't seem to stop people from bitching about it.

obediah

Erudite
Dark Matter said:
You can avoid romances in Bioware games as well. Yet that doesn't seem to stop people from bitching about it.

I can also avoid the voice over work by turning off the sound. But that doesn't magically undo the development effort put into it and redirect it to something worth while.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Are you such a nancyboy that a possible 2 to 3 seconds of a blurry Geralt embracing a blurry male NPC, and then a loltastic trading card of said male NPC appearing onscreen in a loincloth licking an ice-cream cone would scar you for life?

Wait nvm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom