Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Riftrunner/Divinity 2 interview at Gaming Chart

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Beyond Divinity; BioWare

<a href="http://www.gamingchart.com/">Gaming Chart</a> scored <A href="http://www.gamingchart.com/article-15.php">an interview</a> with <a href="http://www.larian.com">Larian</a> about <A href="http://www.riftrunner.com">Riftrunner</a> as well as <i>Divinity 2</i>. Here's one tidbit:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What extended role, if any, will online multiplayer have in future games set in the Divine Divinity universe? Or, will the focus continue to be on providing a compelling single-player experience?</b>
<br>
<br>
We will continue on putting in a good single player story line, we feel that is very important , but in the future (for Divinity 2) we will also start including multiplayer features.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Welp, my anticipation level for <i>Divinity 2</i> just dropped.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Adam Corsetti</b>!

ecliptic

Liturgist
Well, I don't feel that the core gameplay of Divine Divinity (which is running around in real-time slaughter several hundred dozen of the most recent monster type) would be terribly harmed by a multiplayer component.

Don't mistake, I enjoy Divine Divinity, it's just mind numbing. I'd like more of an emphasis put on environmental and charcter interaction, alas, market urges are strong, regardless of whether they are intelligent ones, i.e. that multiplayer single-player rpgs are te kewl. I guess we can thank BG for that one.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Maybe its my selective memory but I really can't remember that many epic hack/slash situations. I think I've been on maybe three xp runs, each of which lasted roughly an hour - this is in over 50 hours of play. Most of my time has been spent trying to solve quests and reloading to hear Mardaneus say XXBZPTRL (funniest moment in an RPG ever.) Perhaps I've been so impressed with the breadth of some of the quests, and the way FedEX's are used to introduce you to new areas, to not notice how many monsters I've killed. I should check the journal.

Multiplayer is a little scary though. It could be used to add more conflict in the role-playing parts of the game, but I think its existence will be more dedicated to the "action" functionality of the game.

DAD

Novice
In general, Larian Studios do not have the habit of talking too much or exposing their cards unless they are sure that it is an advertising point. This particular RPG developer is distinguishably intelligent enough to listen to the feedback of their powerful fan-base. Adding a Multiplayer feature may be implemented in the “Age of Empires” style if and only if the game was designed with a powerful and extensive parallel-story-lines-feature to allow choosing a race-gender combination and end up playing a totally different game. However, there is another style of multiplayer implementation, which is based on one major plot played by a heroic party from which the player picks one to be elected as the party leader inside the game by democratic votes. The characteristics of such a leader should alter the path taken by the party to achieve the goals of the game that could be called Victory.

That is why; saying that L. S. shall add Multiplayer features to Divinity II does not say much because they did not tell us how they shall implement that feature.

As for Riftrunner, it is basically, yet hidden, a Divinity core. However, changing the combat formulas, the skill feature, the user interface, and adding a permanent companion (with opposite alignment) while allowing for “summoning dolls” extra party then creating a new feature called the random battlefields to give the player an infinite method of increasing experience/ level, independent of the story line, one should expect a serious turning point in RPG standards to a fabulous quality of entertainment. There shall be a minimal hack & slash requirement in the linear storyline of the major path, while those who love to kill and gain experience and levels may access the BF-Portals as many times as they wish and enjoy. What really comes new in Riftrunner is the runtime-3D-characters-feature that reflects the true image of the avatar and his/ her equipment for enhanced identification. Intelligently, the developers realised the potential of the T3D engine and decided to use it for random generation of foes in the random battlefields. This should increase re-playability exceedingly.

Given that Larian Studios listen to their insanely powerful fan-base, it is too premature to speculate on Divinity II while Riftrunner is not out yet, but more than probable it would never be disappointing.

Kind regards.

EEVIAC

Erudite
DAD said:
As for Riftrunner, it is basically, yet hidden, a Divinity core. However, changing the combat formulas, the skill feature, the user interface, and adding a permanent companion (with opposite alignment) while allowing for “summoning dolls” extra party then creating a new feature called the random battlefields to give the player an infinite method of increasing experience/ level, independent of the story line, one should expect a serious turning point in RPG standards to a fabulous quality of entertainment.

After completing the game earlier this evening I've definately become a fan but I wouldn't go that far. I know what you mean though. :D I think Larian are definately one of the more savvy developers out there and I'll trust their judgement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom