Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: the Technopaladins

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Due to popular demand, I'd like to draw your attention to the <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/diaries_diary3-1.09.08.html">Brotherhood of Steel faction profile</a> by Emil Pagliarulo, the lead designer of Fallout 3.<blockquote>In Fallout 3, the Brotherhood of Steel is one of the most important and influential factions you’ll encounter. And while it’s true they are a military organization, the Brotherhood’s values and command structure are actually more representative of a <strong>medieval knightly order</strong>. Like the Templars of old, in their own eyes, the members of the Brotherhood of Steel are pure, they are just – they are truly human in a world filled with both physical and moral corruption.
<br>
<br>
But it is the worship of technology that truly defines and drives them. <strong>For a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin, Power Armor is his plate mail, a powered Super Sledge his warhammer.</strong> A non-combatant Scribe is more scientist than scholar, utilizing computers as a monk in the Middle Ages would a quill and ink.
<br>
<br>
It’s not enough for the Brotherhood of Steel’s members to use whatever high-tech gadgetry they’ve acquired, though. The organization’s entire existence is predicated on the acquisition of technology. Whatever they’ve got is never enough. Their best equipment? It could be better. Even if this endless search for high-tech toys means keeping the good stuff out of the hands of others who could really benefit from it, well, that’s okay with the Brotherhood of Steel.</blockquote>I don't think any comments are necessary, at least not on a site whose members (usually) already firmly believe Fallout 3 will be Oblivion with guns. Anyway, <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/diaries_diary3-1.09.08.html">read on</a> and immerse yourself in a tear-jerking story of a pure soul, Paladin Owyn Lyons, who chose to become renegade in order to protect the poor and innocent people of Capital Wasteland :salute:
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <strong>TrustNo1</strong>!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elwro said:
... immerse yourself in a tear-jerking story of a pure soul, Paladin Owyn Lyons, who chose to become renegade in order to protect the poor and innocent people of Capital Wasteland...
Don't forget the lovely Sarah, Owyn's daughter, who is now a grown woman, and one of the Brotherhood’s fiercest warriors. Fiercest, Elwro.

She sounds like a Final Fantasy character.

Section8

Cipher
So it really didn’t come as a surprise to anyone within the Brotherhood of Steel when the order’s ruling council, based in Southern California, decided to send a contingent of soldiers all the way to the East Coast, with two important objectives:

1. To scour the ruins of Washington D.C., once the nation’s capital, and recover any and all advanced technology. After all, D.C. was the home of the Pentagon, the very headquarters of the United States Department of Defense. Who knows what secrets – or equipment – they left behind?

So, the presence of technology is a complete unknown, yet it's worth trekking a couple of thousand miles to check it out?

2. To investigate the reports of Super Mutant activity in the area. Could these creatures be somehow related to those that fled eastward after the Master’s destruction (as depicted at the end of Fallout 1).

Who the fuck is sending these reports!?

Or were these Super Mutants something else entirely?

Oh, of course. So that's why they look different but are functionally identical. They must be the result of FVE, the Forced Virus of Evolution, which is not to be confused with FEV.

And so a small but hardened contingent of Brotherhood of Steel soldiers, led by an idealistic Paladin named Owyn Lyons (and accompanied by his friend and technological advisor Scribe Rothchild, as well as his seven year-old daughter Sarah) set out from the Lost Hills Bunker in California, and began the long trek east to what was once Washington D.C.

...and the trip's so easy, a seven-year-old girl can make it! I'm surprised nobody tried it before! And of course, upon reading that my first thought was - "I bet that seven year old girl is now all grown up so she can be the prudish Bastilla-like love interest.

Elder Lyons’ daughter Sarah is now a grown woman, and one of the Brotherhood’s fiercest warriors; in fact, she’s the only member to have achieved the illustrious rank of Sentinel, and now commands her own elite squad, Lyons’ Pride.

Don't even open the betting, those odds aren't worth taking.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So, the presence of technology is a complete unknown, yet it's worth trekking a couple of thousand miles to check it out?
The Brotherhood has Humvees. Didn't you play Fallout Tactics?
Lyons’ Pride
facepalm3.jpg

Fyz

Scholar
Walking through the hallowed halls of the citadel one scribe found the technological marvel that would help the Brotherhood restore its former glory.
It was but a simple holodisk labeled Oblivion GotY, left there decades ago by an unknown bureaucrat, an unsuspecting, insignificant persont who didn't realize the inpact he would cause by such act on the future.
After High Palading Lyons, of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart examined the discs contents in his PipBoy 3000, he thought "Why dont we roleplay that we are the Knights of the Nine?".
And thus the new order was born.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Somehow Bethsoft has to explain this new, strange theme to its fanbase so that it is no scared away by all the novelty.

"Calm down, Power Armor is just plate mail, and a Super Sledge is just a warhammer. We just gave that stuff new names and models because that techno-stuff is the hot shit right now!"

TrustNo1

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
The Brotherhood has Humvees. Didn't you play Fallout Tactics?

And zeppelins. They have zeppelins.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still can't believe they managed to stuff so many clichés into the backstory.

It's Naked Minigun, except it's only unintentionally funny.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
It's just so epically visceral!
Thank Todd that Fallout 3 is free from the fetters of canon, all to attain that highest of mawkish high fantasy drama that is Todd's fantasy land.
Knights! Poor Peasants! Helpless little girls!
Huzzah!

Those kids in HS that hazed you were right.
Go back to the chess club.
Dork.
I mean it.
You have no business making games.

gc051360

Scholar
Bethesda....can not write.

They are just lame people.

Every piece of any story they release is absolutely fucking lame.

Section8

Cipher
Will there be bikini power armor for this Sarah character?

Yes, but only if you collect 100% of the health cannisters, missiles and power bombs then defeat the Omega Subpar Mutant. Alternatively, you can enter the cheat code - JUSTIN BAILEY and unlock her purple leotard costume.

Dogar

Novice
The reasons for the DC BOS presence don't seem all that unplausable for me. But yeah, the whole "beacon on light" knight-liness is pretty boring stuff.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
The way you guys say "it's not canon", makes me laugh.
I'ts as if Fallout is some kind of religion or something.
I don't remember that word being used in connection with other franchises.
Destroy the evil Bethesda infidels!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
LittleJoe said:
What a moron you are. The word "canon" has quite a number of meanings.

1. A generally accepted principle.

The trial must proceed according to the canons of law.

2. A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.

"the durable canon of American short fiction" William Styron.

3. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.

the entire Shakespeare canon

Texas Red

Whiner
LittleJoe said:

Its not as much as about canon as much as their ideas are not very good.

the_Consumer

Novice
From this point, I consider fo3 a fallout fanfic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom