Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2007 - A Year in Review

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: RPG Codex

It's that time of the year again, and in sharp contrast to previous editions, we review the year before it's even at its end! Something important had better not happen the next few days. Here's how former Fallout bastard offspring developer and testosteron-filled sex god Section8 would characterize the piece he (we) produced:
<br>
<blockquote>Another year is drawing to a close, and unfortunately, Prince hasn't put his lyrical mind toward partying like it's 2007. So instead, I've opted to don stockings, banana hammock, scarf and midriff jacket and get the job done myself with the official <i><b>RPG Codex Year in Review 2007 Platinum GOTY Edition</b></i>. Pre-order now for a signed photo of me in said stockings, banana hammock, scarf and midriff jacket!</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=167" target="_blank">Read the entire piece here</A>.
<br>
<br>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Before someone bitches about how we excluded some prime upcoming titles, it's very probable there'll be a separate "On the Horizon" article.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Herve Caen is the Prince of Lies now? I thought that was Pete

Also, "along with the vehement denial that it ain't Fallout" is incorrect. They never claimed the MMO was not Fallout, Gamasutra got that wrong. They can't confirm the MMO is Fallout, because they have yet to announce the game, but "vehement denial"? I haven't seen any of that.

Good nod to indies, a good analysis of what's going on and a deserved golf-clap for DoP's innovative (really innovation, not the PR word) approach.

Not sure if HtbaG deserves to be in the list of stale titles, but I haven't played the full version yet so I can't tell.

Good overview, appreciate the timeline 'specially, must've been quite some work

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
I know any jab at Oblivion is a good one, but did any of you staffers really played Lolling Isles? Just askin'.

Anyway, excellent read.

fastpunk

Arbiter
This was quite the year, brought a few rays of hope to the RPG community with the brilliant MotB and The Witcher (which I haven't played... yet). Eschalon was also a nice surprise, lets hope Book II fixes some of the problems Book I suffered from. As for the next Fallout and the whole mess in the gaming media, fuck it all! I'd rather focus on the positive. 2007 was a good year, 2008 has great potential too: Dragon Age, Planescape: Purgatorio, Mysteries of Westgate and maybe even a second expansion to NWN2 among others.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Since no FOOL art hasn't been released yet, I decided to play with a fan-made Fallout 3 box art. Not a masterpiece, but it may give you a chuckle.

falloutboxarths0.jpg

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The worst In Review article so far concerning the style. Not that it was bad per se, but much worse compared to ''teh good old times''.
Too intesive and overdone on ''teh humoar'' part which suffers from ''wordiness' 'and lack of subtlety.
Bring Spazmo or at least VD back.

All the points made were spot on and effort made for timeline deserves most respect. The content is good.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The humour felt forced in the article. Overuse of things like "Y puts the X in XTC!" and hivemind detracted from whatever humour or review you guys wrote. It feels like the article is trying to beat me over the head with the funny hammer when it comes to subtly.

Durwyn

Prophet
Very good review... liked it a lot!

And some ninja-question for Codex staff... When will we see the interview with Afterfall devs ?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Gnidorologist said:
The worst In Review article so far concerning the style. Not that it was bad per se, but much worse compared to ''teh good old times''.
Too intesive and overdone on ''teh humoar'' part which suffers from ''wordiness' 'and lack of subtlety.
Bring Spazmo or at least VD back.
Пошел на хуй.

Seriously, this article is great -- eloquent, funny and to the point. Don't give me the "forced humor omg" bullshit -- some of VD's jokes were rather stale too, but for each crappy joke there was a handful of ultimate funnayz -- and this trend continues. Though I agree, I didn't particularily laugh my ass off at this article's jokes; at least not as much as I could reading VD's ones.

And after all, it's the CONTENT we're looking for, not just the humor.

OH, and on the "wordiness" part -- how can you call this wordy when Saint's own reviews are so humongous and needlessly convoluted, and not really that funny (unlike VD's, for instance)? Teh good ole' timez eh?

In my humble opinion, this is the best Year in Review feature in Codex history.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Atrokkus said:
Пошел на хуй.

Dude, language.

I hate that word.

That said, whenever something changes people always whine that it used to be better, and other people will become really opinionated that it's all better now. Is that really relevant? I mean, really? It is what it is, not what it was.

Amasius

Augur
At times it seems that to many people were involved in writing the article but still a good read. Brought back a lot of memories and all in all it was a good year for RPGs.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Atrokkus said:
Seriously, this article is great -- eloquent, funny(..)
I'm sure you find Petrosjan's jokes eloquent and funny too.
and to the point.
That was what i said also. did't i?
Don't give me the "forced humor omg" bullshit -- some of VD's jokes were rather stale
Yeah, hence ''or even VD''.
too, but for each crappy joke there was a handful of ultimate funnayz -- and this trend continues.
To say ''ultimate'' would be more than exaggerating.
OH, and on the "wordiness" part -- how can you call this wordy when Saint's own reviews are so humongous and needlessly convoluted, and not really that funny (unlike VD's, for instance)? Teh good ole' timez eh?
The ''wordiness'' part was aimed at ''too much funneys''. When every second sentence includes sarcasm and/or puns (funny or not), it get's old really fast. Subtlety is the key.
In my humble opinion, this is the best Year in Review feature in Codex history.
Stop sucking хуй.

cardtrick

Arbiter
This was a great read.

I do agree with some of the previous posters -- there were a few too many attempts at humor. I'm of the belief that it's perfectly fine to have a sentence without a joke.

However, I think this was by far the best piece of Codex content since the end of the era of Vault Dweller (my own review included), and I'd love to see more content by Section8. After all, his Treatise on Combat to Pink Floyd is one of the best pieces on the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom