Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 3DAvenue reviews Lionheart

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

<a href=http://www.3davenue.com>3DAvenue</a> have <a href=http://www.3davenue.com/index.php?mod=article&id=170>reviewed</a> the flagrantly 2D <a href=http://lionheart.blackisle.com>Lionheart</a>. They gave it a not-great-but-better-than-most <b>79 out of 100</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>After receiving what has to be a disappointing reception for Black Isle from early previews and reviews, I really can not agree with the majority of complaints and statements that suggest this game is a failure. Sure, it has been done plenty of times before, and in some regards, it has been done better, but Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is still a solid RPG experience. I personally do not play a huge amount of RPGs, so maybe my perception of Lionheart is influenced by the fact my opinion is not that of an expert's, but regardless of how I judge it, the fact remains most of the strong elements that make an RPG great are found here in Lionheart, it just doesn't stray much further beyond those. This is certainly not an ideal opening to what is a probable series with future additions to come, but it is certainly not a failure by any means. It is my opinion that most RPG fans will atleast get their money's worth with Lionheart.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Given that he fails to mention how the last half of the game is pure hack n slash, I'd say this is another example of a site that plays the game for a day and then posts a "review".
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>
<br>
<br>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From the depths of Black Isle Studios, responsible for such previous titles as Fallout and the Baldur's Gate series
Not again...

Although the PC game market is far from lacking quality RPG titles
Huh? I guess he meant NWN and its expansions :roll:

Black Isle have promised new depths and boundaries to be explored with Lionheart....Obviously visual detail as far as characters are concerned is not a huge priority over at Black Isle.
It's kinda funny that Reflexive name wasn't mentioned at all.

These influences (the spirit thingy), and the ones previously mentioned (character customization), make Lionheart a very un-linear game, which means the actual gameplay remains relatively unique and the replayability is quite exceptional.
First of all, it's non-linear, not un-linear, second, gameplay doesn't remain "relatively unique" and the replayability is far from being exceptional because it's so fucking boring, which of course you would know if you'd played the game you reviewed.

While this is certainly impressive on paper, the actual implementation of SPECIAL is really not very special at all, many RPG titles feature similar and sometimes stronger systems which never experienced the same amount of hype 'SPECIAL' did.
That was the point I made to Skorpios, that Reflexive killed SPECIAL and now people are going to associate SPECIAL with Lionheart and say "SPECIAL? This overhyped piece of crap from Lionheart? No, thanks"

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I wonder how much that review cost Black Isle... a free copy of the game? Maybe a t shirt? Definitely not a serious review. What a joke.

Voss

Erudite
Lets not forget to mention that non-linear doesn't mean that you can do the trivial early game quests any way you want, but once you're done with those you have to stick to the single path to the endgame.

In some regards its been done better?

Every regard except, apparently, the music, which some people have actually liked.
Huzzah. Quite an achievement there.

Seven

Erudite
Killzig said:
I wonder how much that review cost Black Isle... a free copy of the game? Maybe a t shirt? Definitely not a serious review. What a joke.

Would you like fries with that? :)

This is even worse than IWD2 getting all of those good reviews.

So thus far BIS has cranked out IWD2, LH and now they're working on FO3. Well I doubt that the FO license will be worth toilette paper when they're done with it, but that's all in a day's work for BIS.

On an unrelated topic TOEE is coming out this week.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
THUH REVUEWER said:
This is certainly not an ideal opening to what is a probable series with future additions to come, but it is certainly not a failure by any means.

Future additions to come? This game is getting slammed in a good majority of the reviews, it's not selling well at all.. The forums for the game are filled with people who hate the title. Future additions? Hah.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The music is very well done in comparison to everything else in the game. It's really sad when the sound effects or music are the high point of a game - instead of the game itself.

Anyway, the guy who wrote this review sounds like he's been taking notes from BadgerBadgerNinja. Having someone like this guy to review an RPG is akin to having me review a racing sim: we wouldn't know what the fuck we were talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom