Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Piranha Bytes Christmas interview at World of Piranha

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Piranha Bytes

<a href="http://worldofpiranha.com/">World of Piranha</a> have their traditional Christmas <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">interview</a> with one of the creators of the Gothic series. This time they speak with Mike Hoge, designer and one of the founding members of the team. The interview's translation is really hard to understand, so let me summarize some parts of it. Perhaps learning from their previous mistakes, Piranhas seem to have decided to concentrate on the combat system first. The game will have a smaller world, although "you still might lose your way" in it. The "ideas collecting" phase is supposed to end in January. Guilds will have some exclusive quests and you won't be able to join all of them. <blockquote><strong>8.The Witcher made some furore in positiv form. Above all the media and players lauded the story and the embedding into the quests. Will your game keep up with the Witcher? The idea of the copula was an great one. But the following games didn't got a story good as like in Gothic 1.</strong>
<br>
<br>
Mike Hoge: That's my opinion too. Gothic 1 had the best story of all the Gothic games. I like the story of Gothic 2 too (above all the connection with the add-on), but you shouldn't forget that we had 3 years time to create the story in Gothic 1. In Gothic 2 just 4 weeks. However, we let us a lot of time to create the story for RPB. So we have a story with (hopefully) unexpectet turnarounds
<br>
<br>
<strong>9. Another question which has something common with The Witcher. There is a capacity diversity deployment (<em>Huh? - Elwro</em>) to the story. In a way, how you decide in the beginning of the game. Is there an option like this in RPB too?</strong>
<br>
<br>
Mike Hoge: I didn't have the chance to play The Witcher for myself. (but I'll do that in my holidays) So I cannot tell you something about the quest-composition. But I can tell you something about our project: Replaying will be worthy.</blockquote>It's obvious the Gothic games were a big inspiration for The Witcher. It'd be great if, in turn, Piranha Bytes built upon the juiciest parts of CDPR's creation in their new game.
<br>
<br>
Read the whole interview <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">here</a>.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <strong>Shannow</strong>!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's an interesting interview.

I especially like that part:

Perhaps learning from their previous mistakes, Piranhas seem to have decided to concentrate on the combat system first.

On the other hand, I hope they won't focus only on the combat system, but they are able guys, IMHO, if given enough time.

Shannow

Waster of Time
9. Another question which has something common with The Witcher. There is a capacity diversity deployment (Huh? - Elwro) to the story. In a way, how you decide in the beginning of the game. Is there an option like this in RPB too?
"And another question connected to the Witcher. Here the story developes differently depending on decisions made very early in the game. Will there be a similar feature in your game."

Sry, I didn't check the quality of the translation and I really don't have time to translate everything myself.
Either we hope that somebody decides to translate everything or you post the most non-sensical parts and I try to translate those during the course of the day...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for clarifying this up. I think it was the most mysterious part, the rest is understandable if you try :D

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
Maybe Jarl could make a decent translation of the interview?
it's readable enough to understand they have nothing to show yet since afaik they are not likely to discuss game design with fans

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Elwro said:
<a href="http://worldofpiranha.com/">World of Piranha</a> have their traditional Christmas <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">interview</a> with one of the creators of the Gothic series. This time they speak with Mike Hoge, designer and one of the founding members of the team. The interview's translation is really hard to understand, so let me summarize some parts of it. Perhaps learning from their previous mistakes, Piranhas seem to have decided to concentrate on the combat system first. The game will have a smaller world, although "you still might lose your way" in it. The "ideas collecting" phase is supposed to end in January. Guilds will have some exclusive quests and you won't be able to join all of them. <blockquote><strong>8.The Witcher made some furore in positiv form. Above all the media and players lauded the story and the embedding into the quests. Will your game keep up with the Witcher? The idea of the copula was an great one. But the following games didn't got a story good as like in Gothic 1.</strong>

Mike Hoge: That's my opinion too. Gothic 1 had the best story of all the Gothic games. I like the story of Gothic 2 too (above all the connection with the add-on), but you shouldn't forget that we had 3 years time to create the story in Gothic 1. In Gothic 2 just 4 weeks. However, we let us a lot of time to create the story for RPB. So we have a story with (hopefully) unexpectet turnarounds

<strong>9. Another question which has something common with The Witcher. There is a capacity diversity deployment (<em>Huh? - Elwro</em>) to the story. In a way, how you decide in the beginning of the game. Is there an option like this in RPB too?</strong>

Mike Hoge: I didn't have the chance to play The Witcher for myself. (but I'll do that in my holidays) So I cannot tell you something about the quest-composition. But I can tell you something about our project: Replaying will be worthy.</blockquote>It's obvious the Gothic games were a big inspiration for The Witcher. It'd be great if, in turn, Piranha Bytes built upon the juiciest parts of CDPR's creation in their new game.

Read the whole interview <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">here</a>.

Thanks, <strong>Shannow</strong>!

I won't believe anything these wankers say. Those dorks never managed to admit they fucked up and failed to apologize. I wholeheartly hate 'em.

P.S.: Go Spellbound, go!

Nedrah

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
I won't believe anything these wankers say. Those dorks never managed to admit they fucked up and failed to apologize. I wholeheartly hate 'em.

Actually, as far as speaking in terms of "public statements" goes, they did, repeatedly.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Nedrah said:
Sir_Brennus said:

Actually, as far as speaking in terms of "public statements" goes, they did, repeatedly.

They still blame JoWood for their own failure. That's a coward's tactic.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course, deeds speak louder than words and they have lost alot of goodwill. With their next game they'll have to prove they can actually learn from their mistakes.
I still reserve some goodwill for them because despite all their mistakes I see something I like very much in all their games.

Sir_Brennus said:
No, they don't. They flatly stated that it was their own fault that the game wasn't finished in time, that Jowood didn't pressure them into an early release, and that they are responsible for all flaws in the game themselves.
I won't dig up the interviews to back this up though, since replying alone is enough time wasted on you already.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Claw said:
Of course, deeds speak louder than words and they have lost alot of goodwill. With their next game they'll have to prove they can actually learn from their mistakes.
I still reserve some goodwill for them because despite all their mistakes I see something I like very much in all their games.

Sir_Brennus said:
No, they don't. They flatly stated that it was their own fault that the game wasn't finished in time, that Jowood didn't pressure them into an early release, and that they are responsible for all flaws in the game themselves.
I won't dig up the interviews to back this up though, since replying alone is enough time wasted on you already.

You are obviously oblivious of the obscenity that is Pirhana Bytes. The actually said "sorry" on GameStar Award ceremony, but they also claim to be innocent. If you twit don't believe me, go to World of Gothic and read the whole story.

If you can't read so much (which is probably the case for the dumbest German on Codex on NMA) than just turn to the comments from Gorath on the RPG Watch.

Wanna taste some cock?

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/search.php?searchid=150920

*sigh*

Shannow

Waster of Time
@Brennus
Da sieht man mal, wo wir überall noch nicht fertig geworden sind mit der Welt.
...dass wir nicht rechtzeitig fertig geworden sind.
Admitting they didn't finish everything in the game.

Und wenn du teilweise sehr viel Zeit in bestimmte Systeme investiert hast und dann merkst du, das du Designfehler gemacht hast, dann hast du nicht mehr die Zeit, alles komplett umzuschmeißen und dann muß man mit dem leben, was man hat und versuchen, das Beste draus zu machen.
Admitting that too much time was invested in certain systems and mistakes were made in design. You have to work with what you got and make the best out of it.

Außerdem hatten wir da auch einen Designfehler gemacht. Es ist eigentlich besser, Kapitelgebiete zu haben und fest verteilte Sachen. Ich glaube nicht, dass das Konzept so haltbar ist, was wir da geplant haben, so dass wir wieder einen Schritt zurück machen werden zu einem vorherigen Zustand.
Admitting another mistake in the implemation of scaled loot.

Ist letztendlich ne fragwürdige Designentscheidung, die - wäre das Spiel besser gebalenced gewesen - aber auch funktionieren hätte können. Trotzdem werden wir das nicht nochmal so machen.
Again admitting to flawed design AND admitting to bad balancing as well as saying that they will do it differently next time.

http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic3/ind ... nterview16

Those are just a few quotes where they directly admit to having made mistakes and not everything is excused with time constraints.
I didn't find the interview but I remember one where they directly say that JoWood is not responsable for the unfinished release. It was their own fault in taking on too much and not meeting the deadline.

Now you can critcise them for being incompetent or making stupid design decisions but not for lying, claiming to be innocent or refuting that the community had valid criticisms.

denizsi

Arcane
It's Dumbfuck Attack Time again. Former dumbfucks longing to get their titles back. A mystery that they managed to lose the title in the first place.

fastpunk

Arbiter
This would have been a nice read if it wasn't for the ugly translation. Anyway, I only played Gothic II and I liked it, TES should take some notes. Once I get a new PC I'll be picking up Gothic III, I've heard some good things about it.

Deleted member 7219

Thanks Sir Brennus for putting a smile on my face after reading through some shit in General Discussion.

Crolug

Liturgist
Shit, I am feeling like I'm the only one on Earth that didn't dig in into Gothics world. I tried to but I failed big time... Is it something wrong with me? Can't I vary good RPG from bad anymore? :oops:

Lumpy

Arcane
Sir_Brennus said:
Failure? What failure?
Gothic 3>Gothic 1.

Lumpy

Arcane
bat_boro said:
try again, this time slower
That's what your mom said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom