Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Lionheart gets the mix from GameSpot AU

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

There's another <a href="http://www.zdnet.com.au/gamespot/pcgames/reviews/story/0,2000013604,20278507,00.htm">review</a> of <a href="Http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a>, this one written up by the <a href="http://www.zdnet.com.au/gamespot/">Aussie branch of GameSpot</a> who give the game a <b>7.5/10</b>. It's pretty short, only about six or seven paragraphs, and mainly a rehash of what's been said before.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Lionheart begins solidly with excellent level design and plenty of conversation. In fact conversations play a large part in Lionheart and you will often be required to make important decisions that can affect the passage of your experience. For example, early in the game you must decide whether to join the beggars or thieves in the sewers of Barcelona and choosing one or the other will affect how you can fulfil certain quests. This is all good and the solid balance of fighting and information gathering sees the gaming gods smiling happily at the dank medieval setting for the majority of Lionheart's first half. At this point, however, things begin to go pear-shaped and the interesting choices, sub-quests and conversations that kept you intrigued go AWOL, leaving you with a too much fighting and linear plot development that undermines the title's solid beginning.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Seems like most of the reviews follow this theme, doesn't it? Kind of makes you wonder what they were thinking when they said they thought you'd save some of Barcelona for later in the game, rather than doing the town in steps while following the main, linear, combat stuff the rest of the time.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

Voss

Erudite
Oh, yes. Interesting choices early on...
killing all the thieves or all the beggars...the mind boggles with the deep and interesting choices.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Precisely. This theives/beggars choice is ridiculous. I went to the sewers to look for the knight and then I have a guy in my face who asks to choose sides.
Alright, I say, tell me more.
Well, we are the theives and they are the beggars.
That's it?
That's it!
Are you sure you didn't miss anything?
Nope. Thieves vs Beggars. Pick one.
Well, I suppose that thieves are kinda cool.

Next thing I know the beggars are attacking me on sight. Role-playing at its best! :roll:

Voss

Erudite
Particularly since their telepathic thieves and beggars who all know what you said to the 1 guy at the entrance to the sewers. No matter if they're locked in secret rooms or not.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, you can tell the guy that you need more time to make the decision, and neither the thieves, nor the beggars will attack you on sight.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
And? Is there anything out there that can help you make an informed decision? Nope. The first quest from either side is to kill a shitload of members of the opposite side to recover something of sentimental value. Can you steal it? No. Can you talk the other side into giving it to you using your uber speech skill? No. Does your choice have any consequences? Nope. Is the perk useful? Maybe, if there were other cities with beggars and theives but there are none. So, using this quest as an example of making an important decision that affect the way you play a game (i.e. which side you're going to slaughter completely - Reflexive folks are very blood thirsty people evidently :lol: ) is ridiculous.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, you're of course damn right here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom